Le Tarot Noir - Imagérie médiévale populaire

Kuroga

I bought this deck few weeks ago. It is called 'Le Tarot Noir', by Justine Thernel and Matthieu Hackerie. I was interested in knowing if any of you had heard of it, if you own it and use it, and what you think of it.

At first, I thought I had bought a TdM in dark colors, and I liked the pictures on the box. However, once I opened it I realised the cards were huge. The quality of the artwork is high, and I would really like to read with this cards but their size scares me off. Attached you can find an image of some cards, and of another of bridge-size deck I use.

I have actually read with them once, but I do not feel comfortable with the huge size. Shuffling is better than I thought, as the cards are thin (although the golden border really is a bit loud). However, because of the size, spreading more than two cards takes a lot of space. When your spread is out, the figures are so broad that your eyes get easily tired in trying to get the whole picture. Again, the artwork I find delightful but it is not really usable for readings. At least for me. One day I might cut it into a functional size.

One note on the packaging, which is very goth-chic and appealing. It is the bluntest waste of material ever needed, as no information is provided on the huge box apart from a mysterious description of the cards, a very small picture (in which, ok, one can see they are bigger but not that big!) and NO CARD SIZE. The glossy booklet that comes with it is nicely worded but poorly researched for a tarot of 'middle age popular imagery'. I am talking of this one http://www.antremonde.com/product.php?id_product=3646 .

Yes, my mistake, I probably bought just a piece of artwork and thought it was a workable deck. My bad.

Does anyone here use it?

Peace,

Kuroga

Attachments

• 20140120_184258.jpg
    20140120_184258.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 858

conversus

If you have any affinity with the TdM at all, why not just give the deck a few weeks to settle in. The first test-drive is often a little awkward. Perhaps you could do a single draw a day, or concentrate on three-card spreads.

Good Luck!

Kissa

I find it absolutely gorgeous, it went straight to the top of my wishlist!!

The artist's website: http://matthieuhackiere.com/
Matthieu is on Facebook and there are pics of the Tarot Noir. Looks like it has golden edges (gilded). Woohooooo!!

OnePotato

Wow, it looks marvelous!
I hadn't seen it before.
Thanks for posting it.

Le Fanu

Goodness, what a beauty! I needwantmustnowHAVE!

Until I got to the last of the cards on his slideshow, I feared it was a Majors only but I see it isn't. The cards are thin, you say. How thin?

Such a lovely deck. A bit Maddonni in parts, the Sun's a bit Vieville.

Kuroga

If you have any affinity with the TdM at all, why not just give the deck a few weeks to settle in. The first test-drive is often a little awkward. Perhaps you could do a single draw a day, or concentrate on three-card spreads.

Good Luck!

My affinity with TdM was the reason why I purchased the deck, as it looked to respect the symbolism but with a new take on it (and it does!). Yes, I feel like three card spreads are the only manageable ones with this deck.
Kissa said:
I find it absolutely gorgeous, it went straight to the top of my wishlist!!

The artist's website: http://matthieuhackiere.com/
Matthieu is on Facebook and there are pics of the Tarot Noir. Looks like it has golden edges (gilded). Woohooooo!!

Again, the artwork is great, it is the size that puts me off. Ans also, the white background...what's the point of a huge card if two thirds of it are white? This is visually fastidious especially for the minors, and gives a sense of card 'emptiness' .

Le Fanu said:
Until I got to the last of the cards on his slideshow, I feared it was a Majors only but I see it isn't. The cards are thin, you say. How thin?

Thankfully they're thin enough that they are easy to shuffle. If they were thick, with that card size, it would have been impossible.

Thanks for your replies!

Sumada

Good Lord! Never ceases to amaze me that artists can continue to come up with a fresh take on old images!!! Really delightful. The general vibe and little hands remind me of Fergus Hall, and there is even a hint of Patrick Valenza to my eye. But none of that matters...

Scrumptious colours too...

The Happy Squirrel

I LOVE IT!

:)

(I also love the lack of price clawing with how reasonable this deck is priced. I still cringe in self disgust remembering what I paid US$50 (ish) for on Ebay in terms of decks of cards...... tiny, unremarkable art, 30 something cards, in a plastic case....)

Only two decks ever managed to go to bed with me. This is one of them :D

Le Fanu

How much is it? Can't find the price of it anywhere. I fancied buying it - was going to send an email asking - but if you have the price at hand...

Metafizzypop

The website that the OP gives has a price of 29,90 Euro. Not bad.