Legs on the World & Hanged Man

TemperanceAngel

Saying Waite copied it from Marseilles, doesn't answer the question.

Who and where did the Marseilles steal it from? The Marseilles deck isn't the first and certainly didn't invent the Tarot or symbolism.

I do like reading about the legs becoming triangles, and just to do with alchemy. We need a mathematician on here to chat about triangles!

XTAX

Diana

TemperanceAngel said:
Saying Waite copied it from Marseilles, doesn't answer the question.
XTAX

It does.

Because the Marseille Emperor has his legs in the same position. They form the letter 4. (Emperor is a four). Four is the symbol (amongst others) in the Tarot of materiality. The Emperor is, amongst other things, representative of materiality.

In order to let go, which is one of the tasks of the Hanged Man, he has to abandon his attachments to materiality.

I hesitated to post it, because this is the RWS study group.

So many symbols were copied (I didn't stay "steal", by the way TemperanceAngel, you must have misread me???) from the Marseille decks that it is difficult to understand the RWS sometimes if one doesn't go futher back in time.

As to your interesting question as to where the Marseille got its inspiration of their symbols, there is a whole forum dedicated to that. Some of the symbols refer to Greek and Roman mythology; some are alchemical; some are from iconography of the time; some are biblical; .... the list is endless.

TemperanceAngel

Now what you wrote then, did answer the question, thanks Diana.

Yes, I did misread you, apologies, it's that rushing before College, I shouldn't be on here knda thing :laugh:

XTAX

WalesWoman

Sorry about the post I did earlier, I meant to say Hanged Man and my fingers typed Hermit. Must have been having a Hanged Man kind of day and it was brain cells falling out, maybe that is why he has such a calm expression, going blank and having a Duh moment.

Thanks Ros for bringing my lack of attention to my attention. Now I'm going to check my shoes and make sure I haven't been walking around with TP trailing along for days.

Phoenix Rising

Funny I woke up this morning thinking about the hanged man, I don't have the RWS deck but I wanted to have a look at it's image, But my initial thoughts were of it representing the "Qabballah" Tree of Life. With the elbows out and the leg crossed it reminded me of the two triangles, or "Star of David" I've been expecting to see the Merkaba lately too for some reason.