Lenormand spreads

rosegold

I know many Lenormand readers prefer no-layout methods, given the differences between Tarot and Lenormand cards. But I've read in many places that Lenormand cards can be used in Tarot-spread-type layouts. What are your experiences(good or bad) with this? If you do read this way, would you recommend pulling 2 or 3 cards for each spot in the layout instead of just one? Would certain kinds of Tarot spreads work better with the Lenomand than others? Any thoughts on this would be helpful, thanks!:)

lord_ewin

VERY nice question!!!

First off, I don't prefer the no-layout. There are spreads out there that can offer more answers with less hassle in my opinion, however, it is a quick method to gain answers to specific questions... it loses its charm when you have to do several no layouts to get to the meat though... if it's details you want, No Layout is not the way to go, but it is usually where the novice will start since it's simpler to start out with.

I'm also not a fan of using the Tarot system of assigning particular meaning to the card's place in a spread for Lenormand readings. For example, using the Lenormand cards in a celtic cross takes away the Lenormand card's autonomy (in my opinion)... but I've never tried applying two-three Lenormand cards per position in spread so, it's worth a try. However, based on experience and previous exercises we've done in this forum, specific layouts with specific meanings aren't the best way to use Lenormand. Just my opinion again, based on what I've tried.

THAT SAID... Lenormand, combined with the Tarot is a powerful tool. The Tarot adds a layer of meaning to the whole reading and focuses the answers so much better than, say, simply doing a quick Lenormand spread. Some of the best readings I've seen done on here involved a blending of Tarot and Lenormand. No joke, try it out with a 3 or 5 card spread... and I am particularly fond of blending them in that fashion for short spreads.

If I were to use a Celtic Cross type spread and apply it to Lenormand, I would use at minimum two Lenormand cards with the one Tarot, or just the two per position without the Tarot because usually with Lenormand, you're trying to bounce the meaning of the Lenrmand card with another card.

Food for thought anyway!!

LE

rosegold

LE, thanks for the reply! :) Just for fun, I tried a Celtic Cross spread and used 2 Lenormand cards for each spot in the layout. Ummm..yeah, the reading didn't go as well as I though it would! I mean, it was doable, but it gave very little insight for the amount of intuitive work I had to put in. For the most part, the reading told me stuff I already know. I guess its better to use the tried and true methods (at least for now :grin: )

I think I understand what you meant about the cards losing some 'autonomy' in a Tarot spread. Hmmm..how to put this. It seemed like the cards lost some meaning. I felt like I was telling them what to say instead of letting them speak their mind (if that makes sense!)

I've read about using Tarot and Lenormand together in the 'Experimental Techniques' section and look forward to trying this someday. I love the way Tarot spreads analyze things, but I also love the symbolism in Lenormand. *sighs* I guess I'll just have to study both and see where that leads. :)

lord_ewin

I think I understand what you meant about the cards losing some 'autonomy' in a Tarot spread. Hmmm..how to put this. It seemed like the cards lost some meaning. I felt like I was telling them what to say instead of letting them speak their mind (if that makes sense!)

Exactly..!! It's like forcing the card to mean something it's not supposed to be. Glad you picked up on it..! :D

Honestly, just as a quick fun thing to do on your next question... pull 5 lenormand, and pair them with 5 Tarot cards. Wonders of wonders I tell you.

rosegold

Honestly, just as a quick fun thing to do on your next question... pull 5 lenormand, and pair them with 5 Tarot cards. Wonders of wonders I tell you.

Great suggestion! :) I'll try it. But I'm wondering how well my medieval-looking Tarots will get along with a Victorian-themed Lenormand. *hums theme from 'The Odd Couple'* It should be interesting!

Ronia

I don't use any method similar to the no layout, mainly because I feel it's limiting my intuition, considering it's all set up. With Lenormand I use 3-card, 5-card, 9-card and Grand Tableau. The first two I use with Tarot as well but I first learned them with playing cards, so I'm used to them and they are read as sentences. The second pair are Lenormand only. I don't use typical tarot spreads with any other cards, to me Tarot is far more complicated and I just don't see other cards fit in the picture Tarot describes.

lord_ewin

Sorry, Ronia, I don't quite follow..?

Ronia

Sorrry, I write late at night, did I misplace this? :(

rosegold

Hi Ronia, I think I get what you mean. When you wrote:
I don't use any method similar to the no layout,
maybe you meant to write you don't use methods "similar to Tarot spreads"? Also, I wanted to say thanks for sharing your methods!

I think my issue is, I need to trust my intuition more. With Tarot, I felt more confident about what each card in the spread was trying to tell me. With Lenormand, I can combine card meanings and still wonder if those meanings are "right". But I need to realize that in Lenormand, what's "right" or "wrong" is more open to debate. And it pays to take time to think about all the possible meanings (whereas in Tarot I would figure out what a card meant and let that be the end of that). But this is one of the awesome things about Lenomand-there are more possibilities to consider.

Ronia

What I meant is that I call "a method" any system that tells the reader all - how to pull, what to read in the cards, what the combos mean - all. While I, both with Tarot and Lenormand, always learn as many meanings as I can in the beginning of my journey with the cards but from then on I let them speak to me. This way I have the basics, I know the foundation but I also listen to myself and with the time, as I have more and more readings to go back to, I see patterns and how differewnt cards/combos reflected their original meanings and my own understanding. :)