Liber lll vel Jugorum

defile959

I first undertook the practices outlined in Jugorum two and a half years ago. An eye-opening experience that was. Curiously and quite unexpectedly, I was able to adapt to the requirements very quickly. In fact, there are still a couple of words and actions that seem to be completely excised from my repertoire...

I agree with the whole big-thick-rubber-band avenue, though. For me, at least, it proved to be equally as effective as Crowley's more rash methods.

Curtis Penfold

Aeon418 said:
You're focusing on the wrong bit, CP. Jugorum isn't about physical punishment. It's purpose is to set up a vigilance reflex within the mind. The short sharp shock is merely a means to end, not an end in itself.

Then I'm focusing on the right part, the outcome. Self-control.

I think it's something we all do naturally when we notice we have some stupid thought or do something stupid. We feel guilty.

Overtime, we connect that thought or action with the guilt, and we stop doing it.

ETA: Heck, I think guilt hurts more than a rubber band or even a knife in the arm.

Aeon418

Curtis Penfold said:
Then I'm focusing on the right part, the outcome. Self-control.
No, this is an awareness practice. And there's no moral context either, so no reason to feel guilty about getting it wrong. Any pain inflicted or experienced is not a form of punishment. It's merely wakey, wakey signal for the brain.

Curtis Penfold

Aeon418 said:
No, this is an awareness practice. And there's no moral context either, so no reason to feel guilty about getting it wrong. Any pain inflicted or experienced is not a form of punishment. It's merely wakey, wakey signal for the brain.

Well, that makes sense. I mean, nobody should feel guilty for using common words.

I've done things to have better control of myself, or I guess to be more aware. I did an oath of silence for four days and found that afterwards it became much easier to control my speech.

What is the purpose of this awareness practice? Is it not to improve ourselves as tools, so that we can more better play out our destiny?

Aeon418

Curtis Penfold said:
Well, that makes sense. I mean, nobody should feel guilty for using common words.
I don't think anyone should feel guilty for using any words, period!
Curtis Penfold said:
What is the purpose of this awareness practice?
To increase levels of conscious awareness. Most of us go through much of our daily lives in an almost unconscious way that requires a pathetically small amount of conscious participation on our part. Jugorum is a very effective way to demonstrate to yourself how much of a walking zombie you really are most of the time. Success in Jugorum should bring a greater level of conscious awareness into your daily life.

It's all very well aspiring to higher levels of consciousness. But if your not even fully conscious your wasting your time.

Always Wondering

Once today.

Go figure. As soon as I am ready to listen to Unicorn it stops talking.

I don't get it, but I am not taking off the rubber band just yet. Unicorns are tricky.

AW

thorhammer

It's only mid afternoon and I've got about the same number as I did yesterday at this time :( but all in all, I feel that today has gone better. I'm getting some small amount of control over my speech - sometimes.

On the other hand, my workmates have noticed, and being the craven imbeciles they are, they won't come and ask me about it . . . no . . . they'd much rather gossip about me when they think I can't hear/see them.

I'm ashamed to say that that hurts more than it normally would, this being such a challenge already. My mouth's all dry with stress and I'm in a towering inferno of rage with them.

\m/ Kat

Grigori

thorhammer said:
I'm ashamed to say that that hurts more than it normally would, this being such a challenge already. My mouth's all dry with stress and I'm in a towering inferno of rage with them.

((((Kat)))) Your a very brave woman for trying this at work at all, and should be well proud of yourself.

I've got a rubber band today and placed it on my ankle under a sock for similar reasons (after spending a night in front the of the TV last night with the occasional "um.. why do you keep zapping yourself?" followed by "um, why the hell are you doing that?" questions, I thought this would be easier. It's not so obvious to the outside world, but close enough to snap when I need to.

Shame those craven imbeciles necks aren't close enough to snap when you want to ;)

thorhammer

Thanks, hon :) I'm home now, I've cleaned the house and I'm feeling much calmer, so it's all good. It's not the band they're staring at, it's me snapping myself :D understandable, really - I'd just much rather they ask me or even make a snide comment to my face, rather than the pathetic crap they're pulling just now. Oh well.

The (relative) silence in my head today was phenomenal. I talk to myself a lot, out loud when there's no one else around, and I'm so scared of my stupid word that I've half-managed to shut down that internal dialogue, and I think it's working. I really do.

\m/ Kat

thorhammer

Aeon418 said:
When you are focused and engaged in your awareness practice you are fully present in the moment. You're aware of what's going through your mind and what actions you are performing to a much higher degree than normal.

But, for example, what happens during that casual conversation where you let your guard down. You say your forbidden word X number of times and don't even realise it until later. If you had been fully "present" in the moment you would have caught yourself before the slip. So who makes these slips while you're not there? It's like an "auto-pilot" for consciousness. :laugh:
Ah, see, I got from your previous post about the robot that it was a *good* thing . . . now I see we're on the same page :) Good stuff. Thanks for clarifying.

\m/ Kat