Llewellyn's Classic Tarot

Le Fanu

I love the battering rainstorm in the Victorian a Romantic Tower card. There are quite a few more negative cards in the Victorian Romantic with dark and brooding skies.

Mab

I love all the weather going on in this deck, too. That's my favourite thing about it.
I've got the Fool's Dog version, not an actual hands-on deck... & I don't want to buy one, as I agree with whoever said that all the people have the same face.... a face that reminds me of someone I don't particularly like, either....

EarthAngel2911

This deck has really surprised me. When I first saw sample images, I thought, "No way. I just DON'T like the style."

Then I read some people's opinions and thought, "hmmmmm" and ended up buying the Fool's Dog app. I still thought the images were ugly and had no desire for the physical deck.

Then I started doing my dailies with the app, "Do This, Not This" and got some very insightful draws, which piqued my interest even more.

*Then* something really rotten happened at work, enough to send me on a long break with my phone app and some questions. And the reading was so spot on, I ended up running to the nearest Barnes & Noble with a gift card and a mission to buy this deck. Which, by the way, I still find ugly.

But it speaks so loudly and clearly that I've been enjoying using it, despite the faces and the thin Llewellyn card stock.

Whodathunkit? ;-)

feynrir

This deck has really surprised me. When I first saw sample images, I thought, "No way. I just DON'T like the style."

Then I read some people's opinions and thought, "hmmmmm" and ended up buying the Fool's Dog app. I still thought the images were ugly and had no desire for the physical deck.

Then I started doing my dailies with the app, "Do This, Not This" and got some very insightful draws, which piqued my interest even more.

*Then* something really rotten happened at work, enough to send me on a long break with my phone app and some questions. And the reading was so spot on, I ended up running to the nearest Barnes & Noble with a gift card and a mission to buy this deck. Which, by the way, I still find ugly.

But it speaks so loudly and clearly that I've been enjoying using it, despite the faces and the thin Llewellyn card stock.

Whodathunkit? ;-)
I think the deck is actually growing on me in a similar fashion. I like the thicker figures, the distinct facial expressions (though most of the court cards have terrible facial expressions), and the COLOR. The color throughout the deck is quite nice, though I do miss many of the color choices that Pamela Colman-Smith did better. (Temperance card for example. I love and miss those red wings.) Esoteric reasons for color assignments aside, color is so important to me as aesthetic.

And I'm a minority person who really digs Llewellyn's thin card stock and this deck's card backs. The stock doesn't hold up very well it's true, but at least I can shuffle it without hurting my hands. When the time is right, I could see myself getting a tangible version of this deck. It charms me even if I see how unattractive many of its aspects can be.

Dare I say...

In many ways, the feel I get from it reminds me of the Robin Wood--but I did take a more immediate liking to the Robin Wood for sure, whose style is a lot more decorated and detailed.

Miss Divine

And I'm a minority person who really digs Llewellyn's thin card stock and this deck's card backs. The stock doesn't hold up very well it's true, but at least I can shuffle it without hurting my hands. When the time is right, I could see myself getting a tangible version of this deck. It charms me even if I see how unattractive many of its aspects can be.

Not to mention, they warp! They warp even when they are stored lying flat. I'm disliking Llewellyn more and more. They indeed do not last. i swear they are designed to require you to purchase back-ups.

feynrir

Not to mention, they warp! They warp even when they are stored lying flat. I'm disliking Llewellyn more and more. They indeed do not last. i swear they are designed to require you to purchase back-ups.

I haven't had trouble with Llewellyn cards warping besides the decks of theirs that I have used the most, actually. Chipping and flimsiness, yes, but warping without any cause in sight...that's pretty messed up :( Very unfortunate to hear.

greatdane

After watching a few video reviews, I have decided to order it. There are aspects of this that aren't usually my taste, and, yes, it can bring to mind some other decks in some of the cards. HOWEVER, there are several I really like.
As far as the backs, I have seen worse. Much worse. I love it's borderless and an easy reader AND will be great for just about any group you may read for.

I don't have a lot of tarot decks and I did spend a few days thinking about it, but yes, I think it's worth getting for the deck alone. I am not really interested n most companion books, so I doubt that will stick around long.

Lee, you were the one who started the enabling process for me, but then I did fling the C'est La Vie your way, so I guess it evens out :))

So thanks for making me take a close look at this deck! I like what I see, for the most part. There is usually a card or two I think many of us might wish were different in most decks, but overall, I liked the images enough to jump on board.

I'm looking forward to getting this deck and working with it.

Nina*

Well... I've now ordered it too. Was sure I wouldn't, but there you have it. :rolleyes:

greatdane

Got my DECK TODAY!

Matt cardstock. It feels fine to me.

I'm more concerned about how it will hold up around the edges. I love it's borderless, just doesn't feel like much is protecting the printing, but I am optimistic. I don't riffle shuffle, am gentle doing an over/under shuffle and cut a lot, plus I plan on edging it. I am hopeful it will hold up.

The images do POP. I know this deck has been compared to others out there, like the Universal, but there is something about this deck. I think it deserves to at least be looked at closely. The more I look, the more I like it. There are more details than I first noticed in the scans. LOVE the coloring.

I haven't even gotten into the book yet. I am not much for companion books, generally, but I will look this one over. I would like to know why some changes were made, not that they bother me, but I would just like to read the reasoning.

Justice doesn't bother me as it seems to some who did reviews. No, Justice isn't really balanced, but I quite like how she is a bit off kilter. It gives a new dimension to the card. And isn't that's what having different decks are about? Something a bit different? I still see it as Justice, but in a new way, like maybe one needs to look and see if Justice is being served in their life.

So, overall, HAPPY I HAVE IT. I would order it again now that I see it in the...cardstock.
It WILL be getting EDGED soon!

G6

I have it and I like the imagery, however the cards just feel cheap. I wish they would have printed it as pocket size and heavier stock.

Yeah, the back pattern is lame seems like a deck you would take to a picnic or some kind of outdoorsy summer party.