Lo Scarabeo's Dragons Tarot

Shadowlynx

Just received the Dragons Tarot a few days ago, and I'm "generally" quite happy with it. I say "generally" because there's one things about it that make me raise an eyebrow and kink my lips. The artwork is very colourful and I like the way each minor suit is related to dragons of different cultures: Swords/medieval dragons, Cups/oriental dragons, Wand/South American feathered serpent, Earth/African Giant Lizard God. There are plenty of symbolism (some blatantly clear, others more subtile,) and references to draconic legends within the deck to make it quite readable. I was a bit surprised that the card meanings were not based on the typical Rider-Waite format (which I'm used to,) but the Thoth one. I'm not use to the Thoth, but it is slowly growing on me. But there is ONE card in particular I just cannot get past the imagery... I find it rather very "grim," to say the least! The Lovers card just leave me pondering... The LWB mentions a "pact" or "alliance" and the image is that of Sigurd bathing in the blood of the slayed Fafnir. It mentions the alliance between the hero and the dragon as being the alliance with nature, and the hero imbuing himself with the forces of nature and becoming invincible. Sure! I get the "partnership" part of the Lovers, but what about choice, love and beauty!? Could someone help me out and clear up the air for me on that particular card? I just can't get past the bloke wading in the poor dragons spilled guts... Just boggles my mind! Besides for this one card, I am VERY happy with the deck. :)

Shadowlynx.

firemaiden

Oh my that was a wonderful description of the lovers card, it really makes you think! I guess bathing in the blood of the dragon you just slew is a way of showing two spirits becoming one, a melding together of the gifts of the dragon and strenghts of the warriar, I can see it.

I actually think this deck is VERY creative, wonderfully thought out and very creative. I'd love to look at it more with you. :)

catlin

Am I mistaken or was it not a task laid on Sigurd to slay the dragon to get Krimhild?

BrightEye

firemaiden said:
I actually think this deck is VERY creative, wonderfully thought out and very creative.
How did you find this deck creative, firemaiden?

willowfox

Fafnir was a man who changed himself into a dragon so he could better protect the gold that he had stolen. Regin convinced Sigurd to go after the gold and kill Fafnir which he did. He bathed in the blood of Fafnir and obtained special powers. He then met Brynhild but she was not to be his wife, Sigurd later married Gudrun instead.

So, I don't see how this card is associated with Lovers. Sigurd killed Fafnir for the gold and the special powers, where is the love in that? And as for a choice of wife, there was none as everything seemed to be predestined.

firemaiden

It's been ages since I looked at this deck. I really can't remember, but I'll take a look at it again tomorrow. Funny - I thought I had written more about this somewhere. Maybe on another thread???

BrightEye

No, you didn't. Theres one other thread where you say more or less the same as here. Never mind. It WAS a long time ago...

BrightEye

Anyone have the mini edition of this deck?

firemaiden

Okay... why is it creative. Weeeeelll. Lets see: It's clever. I mean, how many different themes could you come up with for dragon illustrations? I would have just one or two scenarii in mind -- a dragon with his horde or something, and that would be it. I was amazed they came up with such a variety of themes and places -- dragons in the air, on land, in the sea, in the stars, etc... dragons as decor - on walls and looms, in paintings, on flags, statues, shields, on coins, in tapestry.

Here are a few cards I liked in particular: the Pope is an underwater dragon, sleeping amidst the ruins of a drowned city. --- the monster down deep underneath -- in the ruins, it speaks of the arcane knowledge you will find, long hidden from view, in the underwater realm, if you are willing to dive for it.

Judgement portays "Judgement Day" for the dinosaur era -- the meteor striking earth, and the end of dino-world forever. LOL.

I love the Hermit (he's the dragon with his horde) I think it is a beautiful painting. Not sure it fits the hermit exactly -- but if you translate the horde into secret spiritual treasure -- I guess it works.

Well, I'm trying, Bright-eye, I'm trying.... my ability to appreciate this kind of stuff has dwindled over the past couple of years. I think I'm getting too old. LOL. But anyhow the pictures are pretty. I really like when they throw in a pretty nakie lady.

BrightEye

Thank you, firemaiden. You did a nice job. I really appreciate it. Shame you are getting old, otherwise we could have discussed the deck together. That Pope does sound fab. And like you, I like the odd bit of nudity. (Don't you wish you were that dragon next to the Queen of Pentacles?)

I'm really into mini decks, and this one is available in small. So... But with all my other mini decks I always end up thinking 'I wish I had this in big', and then I end up buying the big one anyway. So...