Looking for a certain kind of deck!

Lareia

For reasons that would take too long to explain, I've been looking for decks that might be considered disturbing by others. The kind of thing that really unsettles or even scares people. I will say that I'm looking for bloodier, even gorier decks in particular, but lack of that is not a dealbreaker. (I think a good example is this from here.)

I've looked through Aeclectic's Dark and Gothic section, but I haven't quite found what I was looking for. Does anyone have any ideas?

(By the way, I posted this in the Tarot decks forum, but I'm perfectly willing to look at oracle decks as well. Is it necessary for me to repost this in the Oracles subforum, as well? Or is it okay to keep it in this thread?)

danieljuk

I can't help you with the bloody or gory too much but my suggestions -

- The Deviant Moon is very unsettling to me. I feel actually fearful to buy it but I also feel it's my shadow side "deck". I will buy it one day I think.

- Zombie Tarot does contain a bit of the gore, zombie and human and body parts everywhere! It's a humorous deck, a little sarcastic with amazing theming!

CornissMagorniss

I bought Deviant Moon recently, after having found it "scary" and "creepy" a few years ago. I don't think I'm any more jaded now than I was then. But I have been thinking a lot about tarot as a window to the subconscious, the land of our dream time, and these cards strongly evoke the kind of stuff I see in my dreams.

My daughter told me recently about a dream she had where she was in a restaurant, and she somehow *knew* that someone in the place had rabies. Suddenly, she glimpsed a man at a corner table whose face was a deep yellow, and she knew he was the one. She quickly and inconspicuously got out of the restaurant and began to hurry down the street, but of course, the yellow-faced man had followed her outside. She began to run, but he caught up with her, and managed to sink his sharp teeth into her arm...

I think the Deviant Moon tarot has a window into this kind of dreaming.

Lareia

The Deviant Moon is very unsettling. Sadly, it also refuses to speak to me- I don't think I could really read with it! Same for the Zombie one, based on the example pictures.

The Giger one looks great, but... I'm looking at the cards and I can't really find any resemblance of what they're supposed to be. It's my kind of art, but the images chosen don't seem to relate well to the tarot cards to me.

Sorry. I'm very picky when it comes to tarot decks. But thank you very much for the suggestions!

..aaah. I made a spelling mistake in the title. How embarrassing. Is there any way at all to fix it?

bonebeach

I don't have any suggestions, but I want to say that I LOVE the three of swords you posted. Beautiful.

The Deviant Moon--I almost don't get what people find unsettling about it. It's heavily stylized and has a darker color scheme, but it doesn't give me the creeps at all. Ah well, YMMV, all that.

I'm interested to see the suggestions that might pop up in this thread, though. There was a big thread on "the best dark deck ever" a little while ago though, no?

rylla

Anna Ya listed some decks for sale on TCF and one of them looks quite disturbing and somewhat in style with the picture you showed. I am thinking of this one:

Black Tarot (78 cards+bag + book in Russian in a box). Deck size 70x110 mm. Publishing House Moskvichev 2014.

I think she's a member here as well so you can PM her if you like.

If you google
http://www.tarotcollectors.com/view_topic.php?id=1395&forum_id=6&highlight=anna+ya
can see some pictures. Just scroll down the page until her post from June 8th

Lareia

Aaah. AAAAH. How did I miss the Black/Dark Royo Tarot? This is very close to what I want. Thank you so much!

Both the Terrestial and the Wormweird one look interesting too. The latter seems to be out of print, though, and I'm on a bit of a budget. But thank you very much for the suggestions!