Looking for a deck recommendation for unillustrated pips

Nerys

I'm really interested in learning to read with unillustrated pips, but I'm a little lost when it comes to all the options, all the different Marseilles and whatnot, not even including modern-style decks. I have Liz Dean's Golden and it's okay, but I can't stand the cardstock and I don't think it will stand up to travel very well (I'm planning on taking a non-scenic deck on some relatively extensive travelling next year).

Ideally I'm looking for something readily available and not TOO expensive. I'm considering the 1JJ Swiss, though I think the Juno/Jupiter instead of the Popess/Pope might take a little getting used to. I also like the Visconti decks a lot.

But tell me about the unillustrated decks you love, and not only historical ones either!

Thanks!

rachelcat

Vachetta, good idea!

I recommend the LS Visconti. The gold foil holds up to wear. And there's a mini! (without gold foil).

*Checking my collection list*

Ooo, how about Corte dei Tarocchi! Might not be a good traveler, though.

For modern decks, how about the Celtic by Davis. It's beautiful and quite inexpensive.
Or the Art of Tarot. Cute as can be!
Other inexpensive cuties: Tarot Nova and Girlfriends.

For "atmospheric pips," you might want to look into the Golden Dawn decks, like the Thoth and the Golden Dawn Magical. (NOT the Wang Golden Dawn! Or the LS one!)

Ok, enough enabling from me for now!

Greg Stanton

The Spanish Tarot
The Tarot of the Witches

Nerys

Thanks so much for all the recommendations, everyone. I really can't decide on something. That Crystal Tarot is really lovely, and the Corte dei Tarocchi, nice! I'm drawn to the Visconti a lot too. Can anyone who has it tell me about the cardstock? The only LS deck I have is the Golden Klimt and it holds up pretty well (though the edges tend to chip a little), don't know if all their decks are pretty similar. Any opinions on the Cary-Yale reproduction by US Games?

Sulis

You may want to consider that in the Crystal Tarot the elemental correspondences have been switched around. The element of Water is represented by the swords suit.

I'd go for a Tarot de Marseilles since there is so much to actually read in the pips. Either a TdM or one of the Itallian decks like the Vachetta.
The Spanish Tarot looks lovely but my favourite TdM is the Heron Conver deck: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/heron-marseilles/

jackdaw*

Visconti (the gold blingy LS one)
Ukiyoe
Le Veritable Tarot de Marseille (Hadar)

nisaba

I adore the different Visconti decks available.

I love some of the modern decks, too, like Scapini's Tarocchi della Vetrate (Stained Glass) which is rich and sumptuous and mimics stained glass windows which I love, and the Tarot of the Dead, which is full of skeletons and a surprising amount of gentle humour. Also, decks like the Celtic by Davis are absolutely wonderful. I'm not quite as keen on keen on Marseilles-style decks although I'm beginning to acquire them slowly, but I find them interesting for different reasons.

Unillustrated pips are a good choice: rather than being tied to one artist's interpretation of a Minor, they allow your intuition to play much more widely.