LS "Tarot of the 78 Doors"

SittingIdiot

This is one of my interesting decks because of the content of some of the images. [Excuse me while I move my cat off the keyboard. OK, I'm back;]

The theme, obviously, is about doors, doorways and elements of a door. Some images have no doors at all but relate to the concept of "Door", such as the Fool, a youth on a cliff, turning a key in empty air. About 12 or more cards have no image relating to doors at all, such as the six of cups, showing a white-haired adult, outdoors, with four children listening to Grandmother read from a book.

I just noticed the ACE OF CUPS likelwise has no doors. There is a stained glass window as a back drop to a Christian-looking priest at a large urn of water, performing a baptism of an infant.

Is the act of baptism a "doorway" into something? The Soul is now entering this reality/plane of existance? (In Catholicism), the infant enters onto a kind of "eligibility list" for heavenly reward? (Thinking of Christian baptism as based on the Judaic ritual of Mikva), are these healing waters that clense the spirit of the seeker so that one may enter a divine space?

What do you think?

room

I felt kind of bad because no one has replied to you.

I had this deck but I gave it to someone. It wasn't my favourite although I did enjoy the artwork.

Can a stained glass window not be a door? I think so.

But baptism as a door works well too. There's a whole feeling in a church that you've entered a sacred space, so perhaps no need to depict an actual door, you're in another world because you obviously came through a portal to be there?

It works in many ways I think.

[p.s. One of the reasons I like Lo Scarabeo decks is just this sort of subtlety in imagery.]

TarotDreamer

Ace of Cups in the Tarot of the 78 Doors

SittingIdiot,
I do have this deck, although I haven't worked with it in some time. I, too, like the deck. I especially like the High Priestess reading cards, and the Lovers card with the palm reader. This thread is going to make me pull the deck out again.
As for the Ace of Cups, one of my interpretations is "entering into a new emotional and/or spiritual phase of life." When stated like that, it is metaphorically like opening a door. And, in my frame of reference, a baptism is symbolically the same thing. People who are baptized are "entering into" a new relationship with their Creator (however people choose to define this).
I like the fact the creators of the deck chose to use a baby, since Aces correspond to the "birth" of something new.
Those are my thoughts on the Ace of Cups. Hope that was helpful to you.
James
(aka TarotDreamer)

SittingIdiot

Baby Ace

Thanks for that observation,

Ace = Baby = a New Creation / New Start / Beginning

Skydancer

I haven't done a proper 'reading' with this deck (lots of positions in a spread) but I LOVE it for single draws (or sometimes 2) for an answer or a relationship to ponder on. Amazingly accurate and intriguing. ALWAYS gives me an insight --

It's a constant companion at my table. Along with whatever decks I'm working with at the time. (Right now that would be the Victorian Romantic and Mystic Faery.)

*S*

Tansey Ella

edited

RiccardoLS

I suppose that the meaning of Baptism is that you "enter" into the community of Christians. It is an iniziation rite...

While the deck is one of the few LS deck I really don't know almost anything about... I think that the concept behind the Ace of Cups is double.
On one side you are ushered to the door, and get inside the community. On the other side the ritual makes you open/receptive... and You became the dor yourself.

In the six of chalices the book itself is the door... to imaination, to distant places and concepts. Or maybe the door is the act of reading... or storytelling.

Does it make sense?

ric

Tansey Ella

edited

RiccardoLS

I had to ask. ^^

There is a "different" person. He is on the other side of the door, and he tryes to reach to... the "normal" ones, but without success. Even if he is bright and merry (reference to the Fool attributes) no one seems to notice him or to bother with him. Only a child does, and that's because the child "reason" the way he does. She is different the way he is.
The card is therefore about communication through the doors, meeting of different perspectives, and resonance and affinity.

ric

ana luisa

I´m risking adding anything to Riccardo´s great interpretation but I see this card a bit differently. Being a mother, I immediately saw this as a mother, child and husband conflict. The man leaving is her husband who just said he couldn´t share her with the kid. It´s no wonder she´s dressed like her child. They bond, they have fun together and the husband is a bit left aside as the "normal" and boring type. She´s desperate, at the "threshold" and not really knowing what to do. The child is not aware of the conflict, because she/he looks a bit aloof. The D on the door to me could stand for many things. Door, dunce, dumped, death, duality. It´s not my usual 10 of Wands interpretation but that´s the beauty of this deck. It´s quite unusual in its depiction of the cards.