Magician + 3 cups as soul mate

wild.iriss

Hello! I did a soulmate reading last night, and in the position of Who is my soul mate, I pulled the magician and then the 3 of cups as a clarifier.

To me, this meant that I would meet a vivacious, strong, fun person at a party of some kind. Or where there's drinking involved. I wasn't really sure how else to interpret this, anybody have any idea?

Again, the question was who is my soul mate? I use a golden tarot deck.

rwcarter

Welcome to Aeclectic, wild.iriss!

Who your soulmate is has nothing to do with where you will meet them. You have to be careful about not reading unrelated info into a positional meaning if there is one where the card lands.

I believe that clarifiers are another way of restating the message of the original card, not addition information to add to the original card. So we have to look at what the two cards have in common. The first thing that comes to my mind is creating. The Magician has the tools before him to create the outcome that he wants. (But it is important to note that the Magician has NOT created that outcome yet or else he'd be further along in the progression of the Majors.) The women in the 3C are creating a celebration.

Together as a soul mate, I think the two cards are pointing to a dynamic (and possibly driven) person who can use their skills to get them where they want to be yet can still stop and have some fun.

Rodney

think

The 3 of cups signifies that they may currently be a friend, or they may be the friendly, sociable, life and soul of the party type. A friend of a friend, something like that.

And the magician could be somebody that makes something, probably something you don't - e.g. they are a good cook and you're not, or they can play an instrument.

So if you have a guitarist friend, that's your guy.

Grizabella

Don't ever forget that the Magician is an illusionist, also. He can make you see things that aren't there and not see things that are there. He's crafty about that. Keep your eyes open with this one, to be sure you're not going to get hoodwinked.

The 3 of Cups could be telling you that your soulmate will be one of your friends. Soulmates aren't always lovers. Sometimes they're just good friends or could even be a relative you're extremely close to.

We have to consider the whole picture and not just see what we want to see in spreads. Sometimes we have to look closely and think things through all the way. :)

Someone once told me that I'm too negative when I contribute. I don't intend to be but this is a learning forum, so if everyone else has covered the positive aspects of a reading, I add the negatives just so the person gets both for their consideration of the cards. I'm not being negative on purpose. Just thought I'd clarify that. :)

wild.iriss

The 3 of cups signifies that they may currently be a friend, or they may be the friendly, sociable, life and soul of the party type. A friend of a friend, something like that.

And the magician could be somebody that makes something, probably something you don't - e.g. they are a good cook and you're not, or they can play an instrument.

So if you have a guitarist friend, that's your guy.

Haha how about a drummer friend? This all seems pretty accurate, thank you so much for the help. Someone I can learn from.

wild.iriss

Don't ever forget that the Magician is an illusionist, also. He can make you see things that aren't there and not see things that are there. He's crafty about that. Keep your eyes open with this one, to be sure you're not going to get hoodwinked.

The 3 of Cups could be telling you that your soulmate will be one of your friends. Soulmates aren't always lovers. Sometimes they're just good friends or could even be a relative you're extremely close to.

We have to consider the whole picture and not just see what we want to see in spreads. Sometimes we have to look closely and think things through all the way. :)

Someone once told me that I'm too negative when I contribute. I don't intend to be but this is a learning forum, so if everyone else has covered the positive aspects of a reading, I add the negatives just so the person gets both for their consideration of the cards. I'm not being negative on purpose. Just thought I'd clarify that. :)

Thank you for the heads up :). It was meant as a romantic spread so I'm hoping it's not just a friendship type soul mate. More of a twin flame sort of thing.

wild.iriss

Welcome to Aeclectic, wild.iriss!

Who your soulmate is has nothing to do with where you will meet them. You have to be careful about not reading unrelated info into a positional meaning if there is one where the card lands.

I believe that clarifiers are another way of restating the message of the original card, not addition information to add to the original card. So we have to look at what the two cards have in common. The first thing that comes to my mind is creating. The Magician has the tools before him to create the outcome that he wants. (But it is important to note that the Magician has NOT created that outcome yet or else he'd be further along in the progression of the Majors.) The women in the 3C are creating a celebration.

Together as a soul mate, I think the two cards are pointing to a dynamic (and possibly driven) person who can use their skills to get them where they want to be yet can still stop and have some fun.

Rodney

Thank you Rodney! And also, thanks for the clarification on clarifiers :). Here's to hoping I find that dynamic, driven person!

Thirteen

The life of the party?

As Rodney said, when you set down a clarifier, what you're saying to the deck is: "I don't understand what you said, could you say it again." If the deck had said "a person who drinks" in the first card, then you could read the 3/Cups as a person who drinks. But I don't think the Magician says "a person who drinks." Do you?

Putting it another way, you can't ignore the Magician and only focus on the 3/Cups. It's just trying to give you the SAME answer as the first card in a different way. So, if you'd been asked, by someone, "who do you think my soulmate is?" and the Magician popped to mind...how would you describe the Magician to that person? Now imagine, after you describe the Magician they say, "I don't get it. Can you explain to me who you mean again?" Now the 3/Cups pops to mind. The question is, why?

The Magician isn't about "friendship" so the "friendship" part of 3/Cups probably doesn't apply. What the Magician is, is a great talker. But the 3/Cups isn't really about that; so "your soulmate is a great taker" probably isn't the answer. The Magican is an idea man (3/Cups could, as Rodney pointed out, be saying that...), and, yes, the life of the party as he can keep people entertained...Wait! What's that I just said? The life of the party...hmmmm. ;)

Getting the idea now?

wild.iriss

As Rodney said, when you set down a clarifier, what you're saying to the deck is: "I don't understand what you said, could you say it again." If the deck had said "a person who drinks" in the first card, then you could read the 3/Cups as a person who drinks. But I don't think the Magician says "a person who drinks." Do you?

Putting it another way, you can't ignore the Magician and only focus on the 3/Cups. It's just trying to give you the SAME answer as the first card in a different way. So, if you'd been asked, by someone, "who do you think my soulmate is?" and the Magician popped to mind...how would you describe the Magician to that person? Now imagine, after you describe the Magician they say, "I don't get it. Can you explain to me who you mean again?" Now the 3/Cups pops to mind. The question is, why?

The Magician isn't about "friendship" so the "friendship" part of 3/Cups probably doesn't apply. What the Magician is, is a great talker. But the 3/Cups isn't really about that; so "your soulmate is a great taker" probably isn't the answer. The Magican is an idea man (3/Cups could, as Rodney pointed out, be saying that...), and, yes, the life of the party as he can keep people entertained...Wait! What's that I just said? The life of the party...hmmmm. ;)

Getting the idea now?

Love, love, love this explanation. Especially the bit about describing the cards to another person - that really helped me see it clearer and will definitely help me interpret better in the future. Someone who is the life of the party makes a ton of sense! In all of my past life regression meditations I've done, my partner/spouse was a vivacious, life of the party, dynamic kind of person.

This was awesome, thank you so much.

Would these card combinations point to any specific zodiac sign/anything like that?

Thirteen

Mercury

Would these card combinations point to any specific zodiac sign/anything like that?
Double Mercury. Magician is Mercury, 3/Cups is Mercury in 2nd Decan of Cancer. So, look for those who have a strong "Mercury" presence in their astrological charts.

Oh, and I didn't mean to imply that the "friendship" suggestions you'd gotten were incorrect. Both the Magician and 3/Cups indicate someone who is very friendly. Just that the 3/Cups is more about close friends at your side, and the Magician is more about a friendly personality. So, if it was just the 3/Cups, that might be some friend who is more exclusive to you. But combined with the Magician card, it's more likely pointing to someone who is friends with a lot of people, as well as you :D