Male or Female

sapienza

I have to say this isn't something I've put a great deal of thought into. However, for some decks it does feel quite obvious. For me, it's linked to the creator of the deck really. The Thoth is male because I feel like bloody Aliester Crowley is preaching to me when I use it, and my Vacchetta is male because it's like having a chat with Giovanni.

Aulruna

They never told me.

I do feel decks have some kind of "personality" or rather, they address different parts of my conscious/unconscious. But gender has never come into it.

gregory

I have some of each. They BREED. })

tarotberry

Hmm...very interesting. I'd agree with the opinion that it's not so much a gender as it is an aspect or an energy...

That being said, I can lump the "voices" of most decks that I have into categories:

Masculine - Sacred Rose, Light and Shadow, Tarot of the Southwest Sacred Tribes, Aquarian

Neutral - RWS, Universal RWS, Marseille, International Icon

Feminine - Tarot of the Old Path, Housewives, Goddess, Art Nouveau

I guess what's really cool about tarot is that someone else could have the same deck but get a completely different feel. Lots of room for everyone...I like that. :)

Curtis Penfold

Since we're talking about male and female decks, how do you guys feel when a deck tries to be completely female? You know, have every character, even the emporer, be female? Would you rather have it more balanced? Do you think most decks kind of lean towards male characters anyway?

gregory

Most may - but oddly enough there are a number of feminist/all woman decks, but only the Gay Tarot is deliberately male-biased.

Golden Moon

Curtis Penfold said:
Since we're talking about male and female decks, how do you guys feel when a deck tries to be completely female? You know, have every character, even the emporer, be female? Would you rather have it more balanced? Do you think most decks kind of lean towards male characters anyway?

I accept it as they are, its always good to have a variaty;).

Faolainn Storm

gregory said:
Most may - but oddly enough there are a number of feminist/all woman decks, but only the Gay Tarot is deliberately male-biased.
Actually, Sol Invictus: the God Tarot is also deliberately masculine. I LOVE it because of this. So many Goddess Tarots, and finally the Gods get a go! That deck is clearly and unashamedly male.

FS

Curtis Penfold

Faolainn Storm said:
Actually, Sol Invictus: the God Tarot is also deliberately masculine. I LOVE it because of this. So many Goddess Tarots, and finally the Gods get a go! That deck is clearly and unashamedly male.

FS

Dude, I check this up: it is freaking amazing. This is their website here:

http://www.godtarot.com/

In an article by the creators on the website called "Reclaiming the God," it talks about how Wicca and other forms of Paganism give too much emphasis on the Goddess. The creators feel that we should emphasize the male just as much, to create balance.

Aeclectic has cards here:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/god/

The review's pretty good, too. Explains the main concept. I really like this idea. The Divine Masculine is something that is ignored in Pagan philosophy a lot, possibly because it was emphasized too much in Christianity.

tsukifune

I don't really think of my decks as having a particular gender. If I have to describe my decks, I'd say they're playfully androgynous--just the way I like 'em. :D