Matching fictional characters to court cards learning exercise

auberose

I'm very much a Tarot newbie at the moment and am working on getting all those meanings into my head! I find (like a lot of people I think) the court cards to be particularly difficult. One of the books I'm reading suggests matching up the courts to famous people, fictional characters or just people you know so I've been trying that. I haven't got ideas for everyone yet but I thought it would be fun to start a thread on it and see what you guys can come up with! I did a search and there were a couple of similar threads out there but they all seemed to be years old, so hope it's ok for me to start a new one!

These are my ideas so far...

Page of Wands: Lyra (His Dark Materials),
Knight of Wands: Harry Potter, Hercules (Disney)
Queen of Wands: Queen Cersei, Melisandre (GoT)
King of Wands: Gansey (The Raven Boys)

Page of Swords: Arya Stark (GoT), Lisa Simpson, Fever Crumb (Philip Reeve)
Knight of Swords: Sherlock Holmes, Draco Malfoy (??)
Queen of Swords:
King of Swords: Tywin Lannister, Mr Darcy

Page of Pentacles: Hermione Granger, Tiana (Princess & the Frog)
Knight of Pentacles: Stahl (Fire Emblem), Nicholas Valentine (Hot Fuzz)
Queen of Pentacles: Molly Weasley
King of Pentacles:

Page of Cups: Luna Lovegood, Amelie Poulain
Knight of Cups: Tristram Thorn (Stardust), Jay Gatsby
Queen of Cups: Catelyn Stark (GoT)
King of Cups: Dumbledore

I found this surprisingly difficult as just as I think I've found the perfect match-up, I think of a reason they'd fit better somewhere completely different! Would love to hear some more thoughts. :)

Lilianne

Anything that helps you to remember the meanings can't be bad! The best is probably to keep using the cards, time consuming at first as you have to look the meanings up. I once thought it would be best just to learn the meanings but it didn't work that way except in the broadest terms. The court cards have always been a pain to use/remember, for me too.

I had a lot of trouble with the minors - although the card images hint at the meaning, it was only when I learned a little more about the Sephiroth on the Tree of Life did they start to fall into place as the tarot and the Tree have long been blended well.

Morwenna

I like the idea of assigning fictional characters to the courts, or to any cards in fact. My list, if I gave it some thought, would be different from yours, since we haven't read or seen all the same things. But I have noticed that some people I know embody certain cards for me. I should probably keep notes on such realizations when they occur.

TheStarsAndTheMoon

This reminds me of the mono myth exercise in the tarot 101 book. It was difficult me for the same reason. I'd think of another spot a certain card would work out better I a nd end up rearranging everything.

Perhaps I'll have to try this out soon. :)

seakla

Courts always give me the worst trouble in trying to figure out a meaning so correlating them to "known" or familiar figures is very helpful! Thanks for the suggestion!

nisaba

Something that probably even works better as a learning tool (because one-card-one-character is so inflexible) is this:

Do a Tarot reading for a fictitious character. Halfway through a DVD, pause it and pull out your deck. Do either a predictive reading (and see how right you are) or an analytical reading.

Put down the book you are reading, and do a reading for one of the characters.

I'm sure you'll find this very rewarding.

HotDiggity

As a beginner, the court cards are the hardest to understand, read, and interpret. I think this is a brilliant idea. It helps paint a picture in your head about a person's overall personality, and from there, your interpretation or understanding can grow. What a great sounding board to jump from. I am excited. I am going to do this right now and see what I can come up with. Seeing that I work with young kiddos, I think I am going to use children's books for this exercise. I am wondering which court card represents the boy who cried wolf the most???...hmmm
Thanks again for the suggestion
HD

Catgirl

I am wondering which court card represents the boy who cried wolf the most???...hmmm

I would say Page of Swords Reversed. Page of Swords due to his ambition and wanting to get his message out there to everyone, but Reversed to signify that his message cannot be trusted, and isn’t even necessarily true.

seedcake

Something that probably even works better as a learning tool (because one-card-one-character is so inflexible) is this:

Do a Tarot reading for a fictitious character. Halfway through a DVD, pause it and pull out your deck. Do either a predictive reading (and see how right you are) or an analytical reading.

Put down the book you are reading, and do a reading for one of the characters.

I'm sure you'll find this very rewarding.

That's some great excercise. I need to try it one day.

MissNine

Ok I can't resist and if someone already said this, I'm sorry and promise I did not realize or copy you:

The muppet court...

Queen of Wands - miss piggy (Id say she's a BIT impulsive and catty)

King of Pentacles - Kermit (def down to earth, patient...and green!)

King of Wands - Animal (doesn't handle stress well, dynamic)

Chef - king of cups (oh so creative)

Anyone have the others?