May 08 - Intuitive Oracle Exchange - alta & tarot4fun

huredriel

Hi Guys,

Just getting your thread up & running. Any problems, drop me a pm!

Spread for this round:

Back to 3 cards again ........ and I thought this time we could focus on the ego since it is present in all of us and is usually quite good at hiding things from us :D .... so would also suggest some discretion between partners on this exchange & liaise before posting in case anything too vulnerable is thrown up!

1 - The ego
2 - How it helps you
3 - How it hinders you

x Huredriel

Alta

Hi tarot4fun!

This looks interesting and a great exercise for for our intuition. I haven't decided on an oracle yet.

:heart: Alta

tarot4fun

Hi Alta~ :D

Nice to be paired with you for this exchange~
I'll be using My Southwest Postcards Oracle, per the IDS~ :)

Looking forward to hearing what our oracles have to say~

Suz :heart:

Alta

Hi Suz,

I have been reading the comments in the sign-up thread. Hope this goes okay!!!
Picking an oracle for such a psychological spread is a challenge.
Okay: the Holitzka I Ching cards.

1 - The ego
5 Waiting

The ego is how we define our place in the world, and is tied to both our mask that we need in daily life (we cannot be that exposed in every situation) and how we perceive ourselves.

In Chinese imagery the falling of rain is a long-awaited event, a release of tension. This is probably because of droughts which plague the interior of China with high mountains to the west which dry out the clouds.

This card shows that your ego has been rather fixed (like a mountain), and this is in your own defense. But, like a mountain it has prevented healing, nourishing rain from reaching the ground of your being. The rain in the background shows that a release from long held tension can come.

You have been a bit resistant to anything that would alter your sense of self, but like all egos, we hold some false imagery which we see in our inner mirrors.

The resistance has come because in order to be successful you have been forced to be a chameleon. But the toll is that you have hidden your inner self behind a strongly defended ego, and are thirsty there.

You have to look at how you nourish others and how they nourish you. What you give out and what you take in, and look for true value.

2 - How it helps you
18 Work on what has been spoiled

This hexagram is the one for focused determined effort. It is a fine draw for success through personal will and effort, both tied to a centred ego.

The image shows a person building a solid structure with the ruins of what came before scattered around. It is recognizing that however badly things went before (and this card is often tied to abuse of authority), that the work can be re-done and better than ever.

Think of it a bit like the 6 of wands riding triumphantly out of a reversed 10 of pentacles. It is triumph over the past and especially past failures, and your ego helps you here because it gives you inner strength.

Think back even further, too, as this card can also be tied to the evil that parents may visit on their children, in many forms. Again, your ego, like a mountain, helps you, holds you together. And, your ego, softly like tree roots penetrating rocks gradually wears them away.

3 - How it hinders you
53 Gradual Advance

Like a flinty path, it can cut your own feet. You can stumble over small rocks on your trail. It can make the world feel like winter, dark and cold with nothing growing and when you need to account for your whole life.

It can make you feel useless, not heard, like a breath of air easily brushed away.

An ego is defense, and can be helpful but when it darkens our internal mirror, trapped within its shifting lights ourselves, we ourselves fall prey to the very deceptions that we use against the world.

One thing with the I Ching, I never see anything as pure negative. It offers a way out of negatives.

Here the way out is gentle understanding, not being harsh or ruthless with yourself. When negative self-thoughts arise, you must follow them gently to their source. Depend on your inner and moral strength to help you see self-lies and guide you.

Do not try and find ways to defeat your ego, it is part of you and you need it. But neither must it dominate your whole self. Take things slowly and thoughtfully, thinking ahead and what you want to try to do. And this on every level from planting flowers to your highest aims.

:love: Alta

Attachments

• Hexagram 5_rs.jpg
    Hexagram 5_rs.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Hexagram 18_rs.jpg
    Hexagram 18_rs.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 73
  • hexagram 53_rs.jpg
    hexagram 53_rs.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 69

tarot4fun

Alta's reading with My Southwest Postcard Oracle

1. The ego ~ Old Town Albuquerque, NM
This is a park with large shade trees and people milling about the gazebo which is the focal point in the image. There is a large walkway all around the gazebo. I think of bands that have played inside there and the festive functions it has been used for over the years. A lot of wonderful memories are stored up in that little place.
There are two old cannons in the foreground of the image, and there are small walls around the trees on which some people are sitting.

I think this is your heart. You have a rich heritage and happy memories. Your personal boundaries are firmly established and rooted in who you are, your heritage and memories. I think you were well protected and nurtured as a child.

2. How it helps you ~ Loretto Chapel - Santa Fe, NM
This is a split image~ The Miraculous Staircase & The front of the chapel.

Legend says that the staircase was built sometime between 1877 and 1881. It has two 360 degree turns with no visible means of support. Also, it is said that the staircase was built without nails—only wooden pegs. When the staircase was completed, about six months later, the carpenter disappeared without pay or thanks.

The front view of the gothic chapel is the person the world sees. You are strong and beautiful, inviting and safe. There is a Statue of the Madonna at the top~ your spirituality is very important to you. There is a small iron fence~ this is a part of your boundaries~ it’s the way you sift and filter what is allowed to come in.

Many pass by and admire the beauty and strength; but only the few who enter are aware of the mysterious and peaceful atmosphere. The heart of the chapel and the staircase are something to sit with and wonder at. But those who just take a peak and rush to the gift shop will never know what they are missing.
Then again, maybe it’s good that certain people leave as quickly as they came.

3. How it hinders you ~ Mission San José ~ San Antonio, TX
This church was built 150 years before the Loretto Chapel. The camera was aiming straight at the front corner and your eye is drawn straight up to the bell tower and the iron cross on the very top.

The possibility is that people see a fortress when they look at you ~
Some may want to lean on you and get under your protection, or tap into your hard earned knowledge for free. If other people claim to find you unapproachable, it’s because they what you to ‘let down your guard’ so to speak, and to make you vulnerable.
Your boundaries and filter system take care of leaches and frauds ~

Makes me think of Popeye the Sailor and the way he says “I Yam What I Yam”! :)

Alta, I hope this makes sense and is meaningful~ :)

Alta

tarot4fun said:
Alta, I hope this makes sense and is meaningful~ :)
Even a quick read says you nailed it! Have to go and buy beer for a host gift for this weekend. Be back!
xxxxx Alta

Alta

Thanks for adding the images. I also found them evocative.

tarot4fun said:
1. The ego ~ Old Town Albuquerque, NM
This is a park with large shade trees and people milling about the gazebo which is the focal point in the image. There is a large walkway all around the gazebo. I think of bands that have played inside there and the festive functions it has been used for over the years. A lot of wonderful memories are stored up in that little place.
There are two old cannons in the foreground of the image, and there are small walls around the trees on which some people are sitting.

I think this is your heart. You have a rich heritage and happy memories. Your personal boundaries are firmly established and rooted in who you are, your heritage and memories. I think you were well protected and nurtured as a child.
With so many people having miserable childhoods, I tend to keep quiet about mine which was rather idyllic. I grew up in the country and went to school in the town nearby. Consequently I feel nourished by nature and still love and am very close to my family (what remains of it).

I enjoy the families that I came from: farmers on one side and clergy and lawyers on the other. They seem solid and true to me. I do have a lot of good memories and I appreciate having them. It am sure that it makes me part of what I am. A good part.
tarot4fun said:
2. How it helps you ~ Loretto Chapel - Santa Fe, NM
This is a split image~ The Miraculous Staircase & The front of the chapel.

Legend says that the staircase was built sometime between 1877 and 1881. It has two 360 degree turns with no visible means of support. Also, it is said that the staircase was built without nails—only wooden pegs. When the staircase was completed, about six months later, the carpenter disappeared without pay or thanks.

The front view of the gothic chapel is the person the world sees. You are strong and beautiful, inviting and safe. There is a Statue of the Madonna at the top~ your spirituality is very important to you. There is a small iron fence~ this is a part of your boundaries~ it’s the way you sift and filter what is allowed to come in.

Many pass by and admire the beauty and strength; but only the few who enter are aware of the mysterious and peaceful atmosphere. The heart of the chapel and the staircase are something to sit with and wonder at. But those who just take a peak and rush to the gift shop will never know what they are missing.
Then again, maybe it’s good that certain people leave as quickly as they came.
I am amused and interested by the split image. I rather like spiral staircases, even though impractical. I can see why they would be in churches, like the spiral path up to heaven. I think perhaps I am on a bit of a spiral path too, hopefully upwards. :)

It is also true that not many take the time to know me well. I am willing, but so often I listen and listen but there is no interest in return. Which is okay I guess, for who would want totally self-centred people as close companions?

I am pretty 'safe'. I try to not have hidden agendas and try and act to help and hopefully for the best.
tarot4fun said:
3. How it hinders you ~ Mission San José ~ San Antonio, TX
This church was built 150 years before the Loretto Chapel. The camera was aiming straight at the front corner and your eye is drawn straight up to the bell tower and the iron cross on the very top.

The possibility is that people see a fortress when they look at you ~
Some may want to lean on you and get under your protection, or tap into your hard earned knowledge for free. If other people claim to find you unapproachable, it’s because they what you to ‘let down your guard’ so to speak, and to make you vulnerable.
Your boundaries and filter system take care of leaches and frauds ~

Makes me think of Popeye the Sailor and the way he says “I Yam What I Yam”! :)
Suz, every bit of this is as I have experienced it. Though I am interested and amused by how neatly you wrapped up an essential aspect of me. Everything that you wrote above it true, I hardly know how to feed back.

It does make for a somewhat solitary life though.

xxx Alta

tarot4fun

I'm so glad you liked your reading Alta~ I just love using My Southwest Postcard Oracle~ :)

Funny, we posted almost at the same time~ :D

Thank you for your thoughtful reading~
I'll have your feedback up this afternoon ~ love those cards!

Hugs~

tarot4fun

Alta said:
I rather like spiral staircases, even though impractical. I can see why they would be in churches, like the spiral path up to heaven. I think perhaps I am on a bit of a spiral path too, hopefully upwards. :)
There is a made for TV movie about this story~ The Staircase w/ William Petersen and Barbara Hershey.

I forgot to add how the gazebo was a circle and the staircase was spiral and that made me think of the 'circle of life' and 'the upward path' ~ but you said it for me~ :)

:heart:

tarot4fun

Alta said:
Holitzka I Ching cards.

1 - The ego
5 Waiting

The ego is how we define our place in the world, and is tied to both our mask that we need in daily life (we cannot be that exposed in every situation) and how we perceive ourselves.

In Chinese imagery the falling of rain is a long-awaited event, a release of tension. This is probably because of droughts which plague the interior of China with high mountains to the west which dry out the clouds.

This card shows that your ego has been rather fixed (like a mountain), and this is in your own defense. But, like a mountain it has prevented healing, nourishing rain from reaching the ground of your being. The rain in the background shows that a release from long held tension can come.

You have been a bit resistant to anything that would alter your sense of self, but like all egos, we hold some false imagery which we see in our inner mirrors.

The resistance has come because in order to be successful you have been forced to be a chameleon. But the toll is that you have hidden your inner self behind a strongly defended ego, and are thirsty there.

You have to look at how you nourish others and how they nourish you. What you give out and what you take in, and look for true value.
What I see here is a description of my past and how I’ve worked through the abuse and pain.
I was always a leader and had to be strong. I call myself a survivor because I did not lose who I was nor fall into complete despair.
Once, a woman told me that I was a tower ~ it was a compliment, but I didn’t want to be everyone’s tower.
Those days are behind me~ buckets and buckets of tears helped wash away guilt and shame that did not belong to me and cleansed me of anger at the injustices and cruelty.
I’ve finally and completely let it all go. With peace, I can embrace the real me. I know that I’m stronger than I feel. :)

Alta said:
2 - How it helps you
18 Work on what has been spoiled

This hexagram is the one for focused determined effort. It is a fine draw for success through personal will and effort, both tied to a centred ego.

The image shows a person building a solid structure with the ruins of what came before scattered around. It is recognizing that however badly things went before (and this card is often tied to abuse of authority), that the work can be re-done and better than ever.

Think of it a bit like the 6 of wands riding triumphantly out of a reversed 10 of pentacles. It is triumph over the past and especially past failures, and your ego helps you here because it gives you inner strength.

Think back even further, too, as this card can also be tied to the evil that parents may visit on their children, in many forms. Again, your ego, like a mountain, helps you, holds you together. And, your ego, softly like tree roots penetrating rocks gradually wears them away.
This one is so good. I’m the kind of person who looks at a piece of junk and says ~ “Hey, with a little sanding and paint it could be used for this …”
For many years we felt our calling was like Nehemiah~ to rebuild the wall, to strengthen the old foundations. The image on the card is so similar to that which I’ve carried in my mind of the Nehemiah story. Thank you for the reminder and the encouragement. :)

Alta said:
3 - How it hinders you
53 Gradual Advance

Like a flinty path, it can cut your own feet. You can stumble over small rocks on your trail. It can make the world feel like winter, dark and cold with nothing growing and when you need to account for your whole life.

It can make you feel useless, not heard, like a breath of air easily brushed away.

An ego is defense, and can be helpful but when it darkens our internal mirror, trapped within its shifting lights ourselves, we ourselves fall prey to the very deceptions that we use against the world.

One thing with the I Ching, I never see anything as pure negative. It offers a way out of negatives.

Here the way out is gentle understanding, not being harsh or ruthless with yourself. When negative self-thoughts arise, you must follow them gently to their source. Depend on your inner and moral strength to help you see self-lies and guide you.

Do not try and find ways to defeat your ego, it is part of you and you need it. But neither must it dominate your whole self. Take things slowly and thoughtfully, thinking ahead and what you want to try to do. And this on every level from planting flowers to your highest aims.

:love: Alta
I’ve learned to not sabotage myself. Having quieted the critical voice and stopping the constant chatter in my mind has brought such peace. I do feel that I love myself and am being kind to myself more and more all the time.
I liked the way the first image was a tree, and the second is a mountain and a tree. It’s like the mountain is who I am and the tree is what I can offer, something living and useful. :)

Thank you for this reading, it's helped me to see just how far I've come~ :heart: