Meditation - Help I can't shut up lol

JustLearningTarot

Ok, so we hear a lot about "Meditation" and getting in touch with your higher self. I have read a lot of books out there on Meditation and even during readings, past life regressions, and other means I get the same message over and over - MEDITATE.

It seems I read a lot, done a lot and learned a lot, but everything keeps pointing me to get grounded and meditate - problem is I just cannot seem to shut down and do it and when I do I get so much running through my head I cant shut it up. Then I wonder am I supposed to shut it up? If all I do is block it all out how am I going to know when I am blocking out what I am supposed to be receiving? So then I start analyzing everything that my mind throws at me and I think should I take it at face value? Does this hold a symbolic meaning to me? What is it? What is deeper? Is there more? Then I start to drive myself nuts over if I am nuts or not and if I am trying to read into it more than I should, is the info I am getting imagination or an active mind with random thoughts?

Does anyone else go through this? Did you ever go through this? If so what are some pointers for active minds like mind to shut up and chill?

I kick back and drop in some nice soothing music, some meditation music or none at all. I breathe, relax, do the guided meditations, and so on or just concentrate on my breathing. Nothing seems to shut up this mind of mine long enough, I start to "go back to the flame" visualization thing, but as I do, my mind goes off elsewhere and then I argue with myself because I am not "Doing it right". The only time I am able to completely just "go with the flow" is during a hypnosis session, but meditating is something that still eludes me - any suggestions?

Milfoil

I can only suggest a few things that helped me.

Try not to consume stimulants such as coffee, tea, Red Bull etc.

Don't meditate on a full stomach.

Its more difficult first thing in a morning.

Know that it takes time and practice, a bit like riding a bike.

When you close your eyes, wait patiently for the colours. Keep looking into the black and waiting, listening.

Start with just a few minutes, something manageable.

You may find that a drumming tape will help more than guided meditation.

You could also try your own meditation, take a trip to somewhere you enjoy in your mind, look around, take in the sights and allow your active mind to knowingly create the scenery then go from there to other meditations.

Just a few suggestions.

avalonian

Just a thought here, the Bach White Chestnut flower remedy stops the mind churning with thoughts that just go round and round, wonder if it may help with this? It certainly shuts my mind up long enough for me to get to sleep.

Might be worth a try.

:)

mysticmanth

I really need to get back into doing a meditation daily if possible, i haven't done it in a while so i must do it, but i find it hard to relax and block everything out, will this come with time.
x

OOnaOwl

JustLearningTarot said:
Does anyone else go through this? Did you ever go through this? If so what are some pointers for active minds like mind to shut up and chill?

IMHO, everyone goes through this. That is why it is called a practice-even people who have been meditating for decades (such as myself) go through it at times. It is part of the practice from my experience. There is much to be learned from the observation of our egoic mind. The trick is to learn to detach yourself from the thinking process. Not to fight it or follow it but to objectively and passively let the thoughts/feelings/etc. pass by from a center of stillness. At first, this may be the whole of your practice. Losing yourself over & over again in the chattering labyrinth of it, and then finding yourself there and getting back to center for a just a moment before losing yourself to the hullaballoo once more. Setting a modest time limit of no more than 20 minutes is good for this stage of development. Do not fret, this will get easier. It takes patience and consistent regular practice. Eventually your mind/ego will tire and you will begin to experience more!

Mellifluous

I would say only do it for a few minutes at a time. Use guided meditations or calming music and just relax, pay attention to your breathing and chill out for a bit. You don't have to block out all thoughts or 'empty your mind' or 'receive information'. Just let your mind wander where it will and be OK with it. It's about relaxing and accepting your mind as it is - active or not.

Good luck!

Barbaras Ahajusts

Simple tip

"Bring your mind back to what is being meditated upon." Its like reading a book with the TV blaring. You can do it. It's easier if you have headphones on & are listening to a guided meditation. 6 weeks or more of doing meditation like this and you have created a habit. Meditation becomes easier and easier.

This is on top of what Milfoil said! Very important things in her post to digest! Her advice also works great when you have an important reading to do, like a paid reading!

"Bring your mind back to what is being meditated on..." is something you do without even trying to when you daydream, which is what hypnosis is. That daydreaming completely focused state.

If you can download torrents, or have a new computer with DSL or faster I can direct you to a site where you can download some intense guided mp3s.

The smartest thing a person can do is "make a habit" of meditation!

Barbara

re-pete-a

Congradulations JUST L T, you have started. There's a name given to that thinking process,MONKEY MIND,so again, congratulations well done, you found it.
Now try, to be detached from being "sucked in" to the ,ohhh thats interesting ,pretty colours ,thats the same colour as that favourite ca....etc. observe how easy it is to SLIDE INTO the thoughts. Then when you become aware that your caught ,simply detach from the thought ,without judgements towards SELF, thats the ploy,to keep you stuck there argueing with yourself, to keep you lost and asleep.(entrapped awareness)
There's nothing wrong with the whole monkey mind thing , it's designed to numb the SELF into sleep,and just coasttt alonggg, because it's easier to flowww alonggg. But spirit stirs at a certain stage an desires to wake up.
Must be your time.
Personally, looking to the point where the colours pinpoint away is what works here. Being AWARE to avoid the glue of flowing random thoughts. It's not a struggle ,it's an acceptance of what's happening. A desire to change.

It's an absolutly beautiful creation that , who would've thought to design a self made mental trap like that . It works perfectly.

Sophie

Milfoil said:
I can only suggest a few things that helped me.

Try not to consume stimulants such as coffee, tea, Red Bull etc.

Don't meditate on a full stomach.

Its more difficult first thing in a morning.

Know that it takes time and practice, a bit like riding a bike.

When you close your eyes, wait patiently for the colours. Keep looking into the black and waiting, listening.

Start with just a few minutes, something manageable.

You may find that a drumming tape will help more than guided meditation.

You could also try your own meditation, take a trip to somewhere you enjoy in your mind, look around, take in the sights and allow your active mind to knowingly create the scenery then go from there to other meditations.

Just a few suggestions.
I'd agree with all that except for the first thing morning meditation - I find it's my best time - and the drumming: it irritates the hell out of me unless I am going to journey (and even then, there are times when I can't journey with drumming). In other words, you need to find your own best practices.

I'd add that the more you fight your own busy mind, the more you will be defeated by it. Meditation is a kind of mental ju-jitsu: let the mind exhaust itself and call it back, gently, to the centre. Repeat that as much as it takes, don't even resist your annoyance at your own mental divagations. Meditation is not concentration: it's the very opposite. Its aim is unity with All, which can only be achieved if the mind is quiet and at ease. Your bouncing mind is either trying to participate in the all in a manic way, or giving in to habits of concentration you have trained it to. For your mind, meditating must be a bit like using a familiar muscle in an unfamiliar way! But it becomes familiar with time - as with any discipline, meditation can be learnt - that mental muscle can be trained - if practiced regularly.

celticnoodle

JustLearningTarot said:
It seems I read a lot, done a lot and learned a lot, but everything keeps pointing me to get grounded and meditate - problem is I just cannot seem to shut down and do it and when I do I get so much running through my head I cant shut it up.
sounds familiar to me JLT!
JLT said:
When I first started to meditate, I went through this as well. I think it is normal. It's hard to 'quiet' one's mind. I still have things run through my head on occasion when I am meditating. I read somewhere that this is fine, as you can think of it as sharing a part of your life with spirit. spirit also wants to know what is going on with us. I cannot recall where I read that anymore, but I liked that, so I began not to worry about it so much when my mind began to wander and stupid things would pop into my head like what to add to the grocery list, or having lunch tomorrow with the neighbors, and what we would talk about. Now, I allow these thoughts to come into my mind, and then without dwelling on them, I allow them to pass and sometimes more will come into my thoughts and sometimes it doesn't.

JLT said:
I kick back and drop in some nice soothing music, some meditation music or none at all. I breathe, relax, do the guided meditations, and so on or just concentrate on my breathing. Nothing seems to shut up this mind of mine long enough, I start to "go back to the flame" visualization thing, but as I do, my mind goes off elsewhere and then I argue with myself because I am not "Doing it right". The only time I am able to completely just "go with the flow" is during a hypnosis session, but meditating is something that still eludes me - any suggestions?
I find that I meditate better w/o music, but that is me. However, sometimes the total quiet bugs me too much to meditate, and so then soft music in the background is helpful. It changes around like that for me. As far as getting upset with yourself when your mind does wander, please don't! instead, after the thought is over in your head, go back to meditation, and do not be upset with yourself. try this a few times, and if it begins to frustrate you, then stop meditating for that time. you can always meditate again later that day or tomorrow or next week. remember also, it doesn't really matter how long you meditate. especially when you first start. the real thing that matters is to not become frustrated with it. if you can only meditate for 5 minutes w/o wandering--fine! do your meditation for 5 minutes and stick with that for awhile. then add another minute or two or three. before long, you'll find you are meditating for 15 or 20 minutes and wondering how the time went by so fast w/o you being bothered by anything! this is how it happened for me anyway.

btw--everyone offered some great advice, though, I--like Fudugazi--have to disagree with Milfoil on one thing--morning is MY best time to meditate too! I love the quiet of the morning, before the traffic really gets going and the neighbors are outside doing whatever. it's peaceful and helps me. however, this is an individual thing and you have to just figure out what time of day works better for you. sometimes, if I have a lot going on in the morning, I will move my meditation up to afternoon or early evening, and also at times just before bedtime. whatever works for you is the thing to find out.