Mocking the cards

Jasmine Lily

Hi to all..I am quite new to the forum and so far have enjoyed reading certain threads/posts and find I am learning more each time I visit,but one thing I would like to have opinions on after reading some of the posts in YOUR READINGS is the subject of using the cards for trivial matters and asking silly questions or asking the same question over and over to get the desired reading.
The reason I ask is that years ago when I had a reading I was told (by a very experienced and respected reader)that you must never mock the cards in the aforementioned way or they just wouldn't work....so I have always adhered to this advice myself and just wondered what other people had found?

I hope this is the right place to post this....if not sorry

AJ

They aren't silly to the people asking them. Unless you mean the fun ones and they serve a purpose also, the more you use the cards the better your readings.

Reading on the same subject over and over is something readers have to grow out of. Sort of like the terrible twos.

Welcome to AT!

edited to add you can't mock pieces of paper, they don't think and they don't have feelings.

Manda

I think it is probably a learning thing. People care about the trivial things, and it can be hard to just accept the cards at face value when you desire something else. It took me a while at first to do one reading on a subject, only, until something had changed, but I ask the cards frequently about little things, just for fun sometimes, just for practice, or even for surprise little insights. They are my cards, after all, and while I treat them respectfully, I am not too worried about hurting their feelings. I do not believe they have any.

Now, they should be more concerned with hurting mine. :p

I believe that cards do start spewing nonsense when we have crossed a line, and that is one my clear signs that I have, which thankfully happens less and less. If I cannot make heads or tails of a reading it's usually because I am not meant to know at a given time, or I have already been told, and need to heed that advice.

Sometimes, I feel very frustrated by going to the Your Readings forum, so I don't often. Mine is not a gift or talent for teaching or mentorship, I'm afraid. The enthusiasm and energy of people just learning to read cards can be really fun to watch, though, too!

Welcome to AT! It is great to have you! :party:

214red

I think you can ask the cards any questions you like, usually you can tell when they have decided not to give you an answer. Repetitive readings on the same question often get mocking answers from the cards after awhile.

Are there any truly silly questions? If the answer is important to you I don’t think its silly, I think it only becomes a bit ridiculous when you ask the cards how to become someone else to make someone love you, but that’s my feminist leanings coming into play.

Sometimes it’s the so-called trivial things that we worry about, because we trust the universe for the bigger things

Aerin

I believe that it is your own unconscious/ higher conscious minds at work here, so if there is anything going on it is your telling your own self to stop asking questions you can't or won't answer :D

Sinduction

Cards are ink and paper, nothing more. You cannot hurt their feelings or make them angry.

Umbrae

Jasmine Lily said:
The reason I ask is that years ago when I had a reading I was told (by a very experienced and respected reader)that you must never mock the cards in the aforementioned way or they just wouldn't work....
There was a time when some myths of Tarot, held power.

The myths were repeated over time, which gave them the appearance of even more power.

A portion of the myths had Tarot as an icon, a religious symbol that worked or did not work depending upon your reverence towards the object.

Lovely Myth. It helped forge repeat business for readers who ‘hooked’ the sitters with the mystery and fed them the myths.

But around here we tend to boil below the surface. We tend to explore history. Find roots for myths. Burn them in our own bonfire and work free of myths and create our own mysteries.

The key, the real key – is the trigger, the internal mechanism that allows ‘readings’ to work. These mechanisms or triggers are easily actuated by tarot use or imagery (depending on who outlines the methodology).

I’ve used Tarot as a fish-finder and an aide in ordering from Chinese menus, decks work just fine for me.

cricket

I make fun of my cards all the time, and they make fun of me back. It's a mutual relationship.

214red said:
Sometimes it’s the so-called trivial things that we worry about, because we trust the universe for the bigger things
ooooo... Can I steal this line?

MareSaturni

214red said:

Beautifully put, 214red!

Asking trivial things doesn't mean mocking the cards. Life is, alas, made or trivial things, or else we would all be finding gnosis or having epiphanies every day. And that doesn't happen because most of the time we have lots of trivial stuff of worry about, like paying bills, surviving the traffic and dealing with crazy family members and co-workers, that swear that the crazy ones are us!

The cards won't feel offended if you ask them how to deal with your annoying boss, or how to increase your chances of finding a job. They'll feel much more offended if they are forgotten in a drawer and never get a chance to really shine and show their potential ;)

Glass Owl

I suppose it depends on the relationship that you have with Tarot and what you are looking to gain from it. For me, I look at my decks as my friends. Friends that can go to when I am in need of guidance, fun, venting, comfort, and introspection. It doesn't matter if it's everyday *trivial* matters or those of a grander scale, my decks are there to help me help myself.