My Secret Vice: the Bohemian Gothic

Briar Rose

How many editions of this deck are there?

Nina*

How many editions of this deck are there?

Two, I believe (first one standard and silver, second one standard and pewter).

One of my all times favorites for art and colours.

JenWt43

Yes, I think that is right. Where I get confused is which one has the large book.
Is this correct?
1st edition kit with large book and plain edges
1st edition numbered, limited edition with silver highlights on the cards (lwb?)
2nd edition with pewter edges (lwb)
2nd edition with plain edges (lwb)

Edited to correct mistake

Sulis

Yes, I think that is right. Where I get confused is which one has the large book.
Is this correct?
1st edition kit with large book and plain edges
1st edition with silver edges (lwb?)
2nd edition with pewter edges (lwb)
2nd edition with plain edges (lwb)

No... The 1st edition silver deck is a numbered limited edition of (I think) 500 decks with silver highlights on the cards rather than silver edges.

JenWt43

Oh my, of course. I knew I would get it wrong! :)

Thank you Sulis...I will edit my original

MysticalMoose

I love it also, it carries me off to a misty world of beautiful architecture, castles and strangeness but... I don't find it half as creepy as the Victorian Romantic to be honest .. :bug eyed: I have the 1st Edition kept in its special Strength silk wristlet bag, but it's the 2nd Edition pewter that I read with, I have two of the pewter and a plain 2nd Edition too. Love it

swedishfish612

For me, it wasn't an instant connection. I mean, I was intrigued by the deck the first time I saw it and eventually bought the bullet and paid way too much for a 2nd edition. Then it sat in my Tarot box for months!

But once I pulled it out and started really playing with it, it grew on me tremendously. I soon acquired a 1st edition, and then a Silver a few weeks ago. How much do I love the Silver...let me count the ways. In less than a week of owning it, I bought a backup. That's how much I love the Silver!

I just got the companion book a few days ago, and I'm enjoying how it sheds more light on the images. I don't think it's essential to have, but I'm glad I bought it because it's fun to learn more about the cards.

I'm doing Deck of the Month with the Silver, and I feel like I could go on for months for it. The more I use this deck, the more it speaks to me. Normally, my favorite decks are very basic- the RWS, the Morgan Greer, the Robin Wood. But the Bohemian Gothic is quickly becoming a favorite!

swedishfish612

Forgot to add- When I got my 2nd edition BoGo, one of the things that held me back from really using it was the amount I spent on it. It felt too precious to use. After shuffling it only a few times, I somehow nicked my Temperance and so I put the deck away in fear of ruining it even more.

I'm not sure how I got over that, but I came to feel like it was money wasted if I DIDN'T pull that deck out and use the heck out of it. I paid twice as much for the Silver edition as I did the standard 2nd edition, but the Silver has lived in my purse (in a lovely Baba bag!) since I got it. I pull it out during the day, in the car (not while I'm the driver!), at my desk at work when I have a break, and I use that thing like mad. I even riffle shuffle. As rare and expensive as the Silver is, I feel like it is meant to be used. The cardstock is lovely, and feels more durable to me than the 1st and 2nd editions. I intend to keep my backup Silver in my Tarot box, because I'm going to use the other one until it falls apart!

JenWt43

Normally, my favorite decks are very basic- the RWS, the Morgan Greer, the Robin Wood. But the Bohemian Gothic is quickly becoming a favorite!

It is interesting that you say that. For 5 years, I have said that, if I had to name one, my favorite deck would be the Morgan Greer. However, since I received the Bohemian Gothic, I have used it every day and can't imagine being without it. Maybe everyone who loves the Morgan Greer would also love the Bohemian Gothic?! :)

Also, I don't find either of the decks to be creepy or dark, but I have to say that the readings I get from the Victorian Romantic are more harsh than those of the Bohemian Gothic! Those Victorian figures can be quite tough...

Juliana

I'm going to try and read with mine tonight. I wanted so bad to have a copy and now that I have one, I'm terrified to use it. I need to get over that because this deck needs use!