Need to do more research - Steampunk :(

FaintlyMacabre

I hadn't bought any decks for so long that I went on a bit of a spree. After reading about a number of faulty ones, I decided I really needed to open them.

There weren't all these YouTube videos before and I had just seen the Steampunk being recommended for beginners where everything was mostly a RWS clone. I'd also read of dissatisfaction with the deck. I guess I should have been prepared but it is really quite disappointing. Whoever said dark, wasn't kidding. What were they thinking? The concept had so much promise. I didn't look to closely but only one card really grabbed me.

So far the Victorian Fairy has looked okay except for some of the faces (really I did not want to see that coworker again). I am having a bad feeling about the Fountain...possibly not for me.

I am too old for the Vanessa. It made me feel like I should go clubbing or something. The Morgan Greer in the tin is okay but the backs aren't as nice as the old ones and when did they show the whites of their eyes?

Thought I'd like Pagan Cats but it's not working. Liked the art in the Dreaming Way alright but I don't think it's a reading deck for me. The cards seem too big for the box too.

I've passed up quite a few but the Steampunk was such a missed opportunity, IMO.

The 1JJ Swiss looks just like a 1JJ Swiss. It does appear they get a curve though. I should shuffle it.

(I still have 3 decks to open. When I spree, I spree.)

rwcarter

There are a number of Steampunk decks. Are you talking about the Matthews' one or the one by Llewellyn (Fell and Moore) or a different one? I wouldn't have characterized either of those decks as good for a beginner as a mostly RWS clone. But to each their own.

I can see a young, hip vibe for the Vanessa, but that doesn't really bother me and I'm sure I'd be classified as an old-fogey by the folks in the Vanessa. :laugh:

Rodney

3ill.yazi

Which Steampunk? I don't find the Moore one too dark at all. That said, I use it for writing prompts and not divination.

I don't understand what you said about the 1jj Swiss.

feynrir

The Dreaming Way is an amazing reading deck for a lot of people (myself included!). I hope maybe you keep these decks around and give them a chance. :)

The 1JJ Swiss is also handsome, I've always wanted a copy myself :) I hope you can bond with one of these; you have named so many lovely decks.

If you want any personal insight I have with some of them let me know if that will help! I do hate when there are a bunch of decks that you don't feel drawn to, but over time that can change. I actually was put off by my Wild Unknown Tarot at first, for a long time, and practically sold it away. But I gave it a chance at the last moment and now it is my go-to deck, along with my other very favorites.

Citrin

Which Steampunk do you mean? :) I'm a big fan of the one by Fell & Moore! Dark colors, sure, but I like it, I like the black and the sepia tones. I love the detailed faces and how Fell is such a skilled artist some cards actually look like photos. :) I love it, and I'm not a fan of Steampunk in particular. But the feel of the deck is lovely IMO.

But sometimes we do buy decks we cannot connect with... I'd lie if I said it hasn't happened to me. ;) I don't think I've even once used the Hanson-Roberts, as soon as I held it for the first time (like 10 years ago!) I was like "UGH NO! Go away!" LOL... I let a friend borrow it for a bachelorette party and she hasn't returned it yet and umm I hope she keeps it...

I think YouTube is awesome for deck research! Funny thing is I've though "Not my thing!" about quite a couple of decks lately (Starchild, Wild Unknown, Japaridze) but after watching a couple of different YT-vids I've found I actually am drawn to them and bought them and loooove them. :D

feynrir

[...] I don't think I've even once used the Hanson-Roberts, as soon as I held it for the first time (like 10 years ago!) I was like "UGH NO! Go away!" LOL... I let a friend borrow it for a bachelorette party and she hasn't returned it yet and umm I hope she keeps it...
[...]
I have to admit, hearing about a Hanson-Roberts tarot being used at a bachelorette party makes me giggle :D (as a quick aside)

Citrin

I have to admit, hearing about a Hanson-Roberts tarot being used at a bachelorette party makes me giggle :D (as a quick aside)

Haha I know right?! :D She asked me for a very gentle non-scary deck (they were just joking around, so no "real readings" anyways) and I thought, hey this one's gentle and I don't care if they spill wine over it so hey, take it! ;)

Disa

yeah which Steampunk? I love the Moore/Fell one. I used it just this morning for my new years spread. Not dark at all. In fact I have it here beside me because I want to read with it more often, the book is great.

Too old for Vanessa?hmm I love that deck. I'm not a real girly girl, but it's a deck that helps me keep girly things/situations in mind- haha. If reading for young, hip people it's a good deck to have, too.

Hanson Roberts I love.hmm everyone's tastes are so different anyway.

What deck DO you love, maybe you would like something similar to that?

FaintlyMacabre

It is the Fell & Moore Steampunk and I started to look at it in the dark but I finished in the daylight and found many of the cards very dark. I wanted to adjust the contrast. That kind of "dark." I do like Steampunk so perhaps that is the difference. I will look at the other one but from what I read that one was liked less. 3 of Swords was flat as I recall. I only went through it once. Some of the swords were better than some of the other cards although I will have to look at it again. I was mostly counting them but when only one or two resonates, it's not a good thing.

I have to laugh at the Hanson Roberts for the bachorlette party too. I have not owned it but have seen it enough to know it is not for me. I have not actually tried to read with the Dreaming Way but it seems a little sparse on imagery. I will keep it though.

As far as 1JJ Swiss - well it has been around so long that it is likely to meet expectations.

My YouTube was the opposite. I was un-enabled from a few. Someone did have the Steampunk as a beginner as well as some others that I wouldn't necessarily have picked.

I laughed about the Vanessa too. It is what do I want? The one that makes you want to go to the senior center? Tarot of the Aged?

FaintlyMacabre

I see there are actually 3 Steampunk tarots, one not published yet. A lot of people who like the Fell/Moore one seem to say they aren't really into steampunk. Maybe that's the key. It is probably a perfectly workable deck.

(Make that 4 - I have found Victorian Steampunk Tarot which is apparently bad. Likely I will find Celtic Steampunk Fairy Tarot before I am finished. And buy it.)

I thought steampunk went around some years back and this deck doesn't seem right to me. I don't know about the Matthews one either. I wanted more shiny pretty inventive machinery and making modern things look Victorian with gold and so forth. Old sewing machines were beautiful. I will look at it again, but it wasn't what I was expecting.

It is hard to say what I like. I should probably work on some of the ones I have and quit chasing new ones. The tins are okay - I like tins.

(Although I was sufficiently warned here, I have the Wildwood too. I think everyone was right about that one. I need to try it more though. How bad could it be? That bad.)