New deck, great find!! :)

Hooked on TdM

Well my best friend just headed home, after visiting for the weekend. She left me a few gifts! :) I have the Tarot Cards, 1JJ Deck, made in Switzerland from 1970! Omg, they are beautiful! They are in perfect condition along with the LWB! The box has wear on the edges. I also got the Grand Etteilla Egyptian Gypsies Tarot from B.P. Grimaud in France, 1969! The box is falling apart but the cards and LWB (which has a brown cover) are in perfect condition! I'm not sure what category the Grand Etteilla's fall into.. Anybody know?

Anyways, I'm thrilled with my new gifts! Shocked actually! LOL

Hooked

Bernice

Lucky girl!

I've wanted to buy the 1JJ Deck, but strangely it's quite dear - don't know why...

(This might be 'good karma' coming back to you - enjoy 'em!)

Don't know much abut the Grand Etteilla. I understand that's it's a deck that all collectors like to have though.

Bee

Hooked on TdM

Thanks Bee! Yes good Karma I'm thinking so. Years ago I gave her ALL my decks (ex thought they were evil! lol) I have never wanted them back. So I got paid back in a beautiful way! My son even was given the Celtic Dragon Tarot! I'm in love with my two new decks! LOL

Hooked

Moonbow

Excellent news Hooked! What a nice friend.

Grand Etteila:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/grand-etteila/

1JJ:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/1jj-swiss/

Both are important decks. 1JJ is very readable, but the Grand Etteila is not what I would term a true Tarot, although a must for any collector.

The best site to learn about Grand Etteila is Villa Revak:

http://www.villarevak.org/astro/main.html

And Bernice.....

Try ebay. 1JJ is always on there, and very cheap:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1JJ-Swiss-Tar...rkparms=72:12|39:1|65:12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Hooked on TdM

Great links Moonbow! Thanks so much.

Yeah the Grand Etteilla seem difficult to read compared to the TdM style. I might give it a go though! ;)

Hooked

Bernice

Moonbow - it's on e-bay for 49p ! (can hardly believe it...)

Sadly I'm not an e-bay person, no a/c there. Another member here helped me out with a long-wished-for deck on e-bay, but the bidding sky-rocketed.

So I'm saving for the £16/18 (minus p+p) one.

But many thanks for finding that one - even had a book with it.

Bee :)

Moonbow

Bernice, I have never had problems with ebay and its such a good way to look out for rare decks (real rare ones!).

I bet that 1JJ is still around 49p when it comes to a close. There are others on there too, one at 99p I remember, (I picked out the cheapest) This is not a deck that you have to pay £16 for, trust me.

gregory

Bee - the 1JJ often shows up dirt cheap. I picked up three not long ago for other people..... there are quite a few for sale used for less than you mention.... I'll give you my handy search site....

philebus

I know that US Games started putting English titles on their 1JJ cards - and changing coins to pentacles to boot. I do know that, for US buyers, www.tarobearslair.com has imported copies of the French language packs. UK buyers can get the French titles from www.playingcardsales.com

As has been said, they do show up on ebay quite a lot. When they do, they are often the older packs in the two part hard boxes. These will have the French titles but you should note that they will not be coated which can limit their useful life (well, it does for card games). The newer packs will be coated but, if it matters to you, you'll need to check about the titles with the seller.

ihcoyc

The French language, 2 part box 1JJ was my first deck ever, and it was something of a struggle learning to read it with the Eden Gray books about the RWS. :)

Mine are uncoated - which makes me want to use them more, it's a bit easier not having slippery cards in my arthritic fingers. They are fairly well worn by now - but that suits my aesthetic preference just fine. I still keep them in the original box, which is unassumingly labelled "Tarot Cards."

I have good memories of this deck. But if you want one, by all means get the French version.