New Haindl deck sends a message... but about what?

TenOfSwords

I picked up a Haindl deck from the post office earlier today and the first thing I did when I opened it was to quickly go through the cards to see if they were all there.

The Haindl deck has the title on the bottom of the cards so I had the deck up side down while going through it (made it easier). One single card is reversed in the deck:

Father of Cups in the North a.k.a. King of Cups. Image of it http://taroteca.multiply.com/photos/photo/49/127.jpg

I bought the deck specifically because of a reading by Indigo Rose where she used it (I hadn't seen it before) and I just needed to have that deck. The card in itself really strikes a chord with me although I obviously haven't gotten to know the deck yet and it seems quite meaningfull.

However, I'm unsure of what to relate the card to:

See it as a direct comment on the throw that inspired me to get it, sort of a clarification card?

As a new deck's advice for me?

The deck describing itself or what it offers?

Or disregard it as just a printing issue because it hasn't been used at all (no connection)?

Then there's the issue with the card actually being twice reversed... Odin is upside down on it as well (hanging from the world tree), so it's pretty confusing. How would you read a reversed-reversed card?

Rosanne

Hi TenOfSwords- I do not place much emphasis on cards within an unopened deck- others do though. If I take what you said correctly, you looked at the deck from all in reversed positions and the King of Cups was upright? If this is so it was the image that was reversed as would be normal for Odin. It is not a double reversal, nor am I sure you could have that even if it was Odin.
I think this card, if telling you about the deck, would be saying for you not to be intimidated- this will be cards that will educate you emotionally and further your intuition. It will also educate you with knowledge of Runes- which is fascinating by themselves. Odin was seen as a shaman and he is pointing to the ground- your readings will be strong and earthy.
From a personal perspective, I did not like the Haindl until I used the cards under artificial light at night. They are for me a night deck and quite wonderful under lights. Maybe Odin going into the well headfirst- so that light surrenders to darkness is where the knowlege will come from- your intuition.
I hope you enjoy using this wonderful deck. ~Rosanne

Gazel

Odin

TenOfSwords said:
One single card is reversed in the deck:

Father of Cups in the North a.k.a. King of Cups. IThe card in itself really strikes a chord with me although I obviously haven't gotten to know the deck yet and it seems quite meaningfull.

However, I'm unsure of what to relate the card to:

The deck describing itself or what it offers?

Then there's the issue with the card actually being twice reversed... Odin is upside down on it as well (hanging from the world tree), so it's pretty confusing. How would you read a reversed-reversed card?

I fully understand your fascination with the Haindl tarot. To me it is somewhat enigmatic, and strange too.
Anyway. I would think of it as a welcoming of some sort. The deck telling you "This is what I can offer you" or something like that.

Hmm. I would read as the possibility to see things upside down, or turned around or twisted. Spiritually. Hmm. Right now I am unable to find the right words for that.

Odin is an extremely interesting character in the norse mythology, so I would try to figure out more about him and why Haindl used him for that card. Second I would do a new deck spread, asking what the deck can teach me.

Hope you enjoy yor Haindl deck, I have not yet started with my own!

Yours truly, G.

TenOfSwords

Rosanne said:
Hi TenOfSwords- I do not place much emphasis on cards within an unopened deck- others do though. If I take what you said correctly, you looked at the deck from all in reversed positions and the King of Cups was upright? If this is so it was the image that was reversed as would be normal for Odin. It is not a double reversal, nor am I sure you could have that even if it was Odin.
I think this card, if telling you about the deck, would be saying for you not to be intimidated- this will be cards that will educate you emotionally and further your intuition. It will also educate you with knowledge of Runes- which is fascinating by themselves. Odin was seen as a shaman and he is pointing to the ground- your readings will be strong and earthy.
From a personal perspective, I did not like the Haindl until I used the cards under artificial light at night. They are for me a night deck and quite wonderful under lights. Maybe Odin going into the well headfirst- so that light surrenders to darkness is where the knowlege will come from- your intuition.
I hope you enjoy using this wonderful deck. ~Rosanne
The card was upright from my perspective and reversed in relation to the rest of the deck... Odin hanging upside down on the card made it look very strange.

I had a Hader TdM arrive at the same time and it didn't come across as anything meaningful when I looked through the cards with that one, so I'm pretty much of the same opinion that it takes some time to get familiar enough to get a good communication going.

The Haindl on the other hand seemed very familiar, like 'just the right deck right now' and considering I live in Denmark having Odin show up was very homely. In that sense it feels like something coming from the reading itself saying 'get this deck, there's something in it you gotta see' and the card itself does relate to the issue the reading covered. Would be interesting to hear if others had similar things occur.

Curiously, winter solstice is coming up and it's my personal date of creation (my mom felt compelled to share) and deadline for some personal issues, so the light surrendering to darkness theme is quite fitting.

TenOfSwords

Gazel said:
Hope you enjoy yor Haindl deck, I have not yet started with my own!

Yours truly, G.

I think I will, it seems very grounded which I personally could use a lot of so maybe that's where the appeal came from. It did feel very inviting that it showed up like that, so welcoming is definitely a good word to attach to it.

Hope you find opportunity to start on yours as well. :)

SunChariot

I have the deck too, in fact is was my first deck of all time.:grin:

I think the card being upside down when you got the deck and the fact that it had already come up for you in a reading are signs from the universe for you about that deck.

Yes, it's Odin,the father of all gods in Norse mythology. The card shows him hanging upside down from Yggdrasil, the sacred world tree, which he did for nine days to gain wisdom. During that time, the mystery of the runes was revealed to him. The word Rune itself means "secret wisdom"

I think that could say two things, that this card coming up for you in these ways is a sign that this is going to be a powerful deck for you to read with. In a sense, the fact that the universe sent you the card reversed, shows that this deck has some great wisdom to teach you, just as Odin learn his wisdom by hanging upside down. The universe seems to be pointing out to you that this will be an important deck for you and for your learning.

And maybe also it is hinting that you should learn Runes one of these days too.

Other than that, how I personally read reversed cards is I use the same meaning as the upright cards, but a reversed card shows a delay or blockage...basically meaning whatever the upright card has predicting will happen but not immediately. It will take time to manifest itself as there is soemthing currently in the way.

And of, btw Rachel Pollack has a number of books on the deck, that have a lot of fascinating ingo in them. She has a one volume book on it and also two separate volumes on it (one for the Majors and one for the Minors). Imo, the two volume version is very much better.

Bar

TenOfSwords

I'm actually quite sure you're right about the message in it. Odin appears as the hanged man as well in the deck (Hanging from Yggdrasil also) with an explicit chakra reference. That closes a rather large circle for me (just remembered it): http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=44390

Which is nice.

Wispers of runes abound all over so I'm definately going with the flow on that and the book is on the wishlist so thanks for recommending the double version of it (hope I can get them). I'm pretty oblivious when it comes to the Northern American mythology etc. so it should be a good stepping stone to actually get to know it.

SunChariot

HEY! Now your Haindl deck has sent me a message. :grin:

I am about to start a reading now. I decided to come online and check my e-mail first. THEN, I was thinking which deck to use for the reading. I thought my Haindl, but I was not sure. So I thought I would come on and check my e-mail then look over my list of my decks and decide properly which deck to use.

So here I am checking my e-mail, and there is one lone message from AT. It was your thread titled "New Haindl deck sends a message..." And I knew that that was a message sent through you that I am in fact meant to use the Haindl deck for this reading.

How cool is that? First your Haindl sends you a message, then it sent me one. :grin: Talkative little deck, isn't it? LOL

Bar

Little Baron

SunChariot said:
And of, btw Rachel Pollack has a number of books on the deck, that have a lot of fascinating ingo in them. She has a one volume book on it and also two separate volumes on it (one for the Majors and one for the Minors). Imo, the two volume version is very much better.

I have not read the one-volume version but I have the 'two books'. What I read of the minor arcana one helped me shelve it within a few hours. From what I could see, there was little use in what she had to say. It seemed to come from Lady Pollack's imagination, rather than there being any concrete symbolism. This may have had something to do with the fact that the minors were actual paintings before the deck was even considered. Since this is the case, you may as well make up your own correspondances. I can not speak for the Major's book as I havn't read that one. The Minor Arcana one put me off too much.

A discussion on Pollack and the Haindl books can be found here:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=65579&highlight=pollack

LB

TenOfSwords

@SunChariot: LOL it certainly is getting around. Has something special to say apparently. :)

Thanks for the link LB and thanks for the view on the books... I think I'll see if I can find some writings of her online (haven't read anything of hers yet) to see if her imagination works like inspiration for me or a like a put off like it did for you with this deck. I agree that the deck invites a lot for personal associations and imagination as opposed to more formal symbolism that some decks use so being reasonably well intuned with the approach of the 'guidebook' is probably a good idea.