New Sherlock Holmes film has Wirth 2 of Cups

Freddie

Greetings All,

I saw the new Sherlock Holmes film today. I know from being a fan of Mary Greer that it contains a Tarot scene with a very vintage looking Wirth deck. I couldn't help notice that the deck contained a very convincing 'Two of Cups', but as far as I know Wirth only created the 22 major arcana.

Anyone else here catch this in the film.

Freddie

metatron3

As Mary Greer published it on her blog, the production bought a real Wirth tarot and paid to have a full deck made.

Yup. Magik of cinema :)

Freddie

I knew it was made for the film, but it looked quite spot on. It looks a bit like the Rider-Waite 'Two of Cups', but only like it was done Wirth. I can't quite desribe what I'm talking about as one would need to see the card image. I will look for it online. A whole deck like this would be lovely

Freddie

Mycroft

The 'Wirthised' or 'Oswalded' Two of Cups from the film. Does look good to my eyes, but as it's the only non-genuine card shown in the movie, I'm assuming there isn't a deck with such a pseudo minor arcana in existence (yet).

rota

It certainly looks suitably mystical. Nice work by the production fabrication team! I always have extra respect for a project when I can see that they've made a serious effort.

rachelcat

Yes, I think they did a good job making the artwork match. And with the "reading" Sherlock did for the gypsy. But did you notice? There were way fewer than 78 cards in the deck they were dealing from!

Le Fanu

Oh how I dream of an illustrated Minors version of the Oswald Wirth done with this same level of seamlessness.

I'm amazed someone isn't creating an Oswald Wirth deck with RWS-style Minors. Seeing that card now makes me realise how good it would look.

Glitterbird

Yes, I think they did a good job making the artwork match. And with the "reading" Sherlock did for the gypsy. But did you notice? There were way fewer than 78 cards in the deck they were dealing from!
From the lack of cards I thought it was a majors deck. And then the illustrated 2 of cups threw me, I figured if it was a full deck it would be a pip minor. But they needed that card to point to the brother. and a pip would have been boring :D so like all movie magic they made it up....It did look pretty cool.