marielise

Bonjour a tous!
I saw my first deck 30 years ago, when I was a wee bairn. Young Italian men were playing with an old tarot de Marseilles deck. They were using it like a conventional deck and gambling small amounts of money. It wasn't till years later I found out their meanings and use.
As an artist, I have to date been working with the philsophies and processes of Alchemy. Tarot represents for me a kind of extension of Alchemy; In the sense that both disciplines require finding the 'gold' within. It is an inward journey towards analysing and understanding the SELF.
I'm currently working on a deck (10x 15cm linocuts) and it's a very slow process... But also a deeply therapeutic process.
I have attached the pope, others available to view, just have to scan in prints...Love to have feedback

Attachments

• the-pope-3print.jpg
    the-pope-3print.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 107

suedeheadsmiths

Welcome. I like the simplicity of the card. I mean just the simple black and white. I look forward to seeing more.

Chris

marielise

Thanks Chris

temperlyne

I admire your skill and look forward to seeing more cards.
Your pope reminds me of my initial feelings of distrust towards this card, he looks so stern and strict. May I ask why he is sitting behind a curtain? To me it feels like he is deliberately hiding away from his followers that way, studying on his own rather than sharing his insights. Just curious!

Elander

hi marielise
you work is very interesting.My inital feelings are is your pope in the cofession
box,good work.

geraldine

marielise

HI thanks very much for the feedback.
The deck reflects my personnal opinions..and shouldn't be taken too much to heart, some of the cards are a bit controversial
My 'POPE' card draws inspiration from Picini's view of the Pope as a corrupt pope, its the card for politicians, bankers & CEO's. In my opinion, politicians, religion & CEOs play a large part in feeding a lot of the greed, & anxieties of the modern life today...
The pope also represents for me the keeper of secrets hence he is behind a curtain, the crosssed keys on his crown symbolise the 7 vices & the 7 virtues.

marielise

Thanks Geraldine,
He needs to be in the confession box ! lol xx
hows life in Fife ?( I spent some years in Fife as a kid!!& missing it...)

Elander

Hi marielise
Look forward to see more
Fife is still wet and windy

MrsOnePotato

Hello and welcome marielise,

I love your card! It's graphically very strong and beautifully done... can't wait to see more. Woodblock prints have always appealed to me...this one has the visual impact of Tarocchi di Clizia 1985 (have you seen it?), which is one of my favorite decks. But your attention to detail and expression takes it to a whole new level.

Good luck...it looks like creating a whole deck like this will be a lot of work, but it will definitely be worth it!

MrsOnePotato

marielise

Dear Mrs One Potato, warm thanks for your feedback,
I am not familliar with the deck you mentioned, I'll be looking it up...I love French & Italian decks, they have an irreverent streak/edge running through them! I took the liberty of checking out your site, your deck is brilliant! I love the intensity of your colours and the new way in which you've resolved some of the cards.(I especially like your Moon card). Guid luck with yours!