numerology and tarot

misfitknits

first of all, i know this question is borderline, and one could argue whether it belongs in the tarot thread, or the numerology thread. but my question is mainly about numerology and *then* how that corresponds BACK to tarot. but if it needs to be moved, please feel free to do so!

my question is: when you consider the meanings of numbers, strictly numerologically speaking, are the meanings the same basic *idea* as numerology in tarot, or are the meanings completely different. as you can probably guess, i am not studied in numerology. i have begun to study numbers and their relationship with tarot, but that is still in it's infancy. i would like to study traditional numerology, but i am worried about having to learn different meanings of the same numbers.

Caedryn

My opinion will probably not be in accord with many others here, but ime, the numbers do not fit tarot card meanings very well.

~ C

The crowned one

I use a lot of different sources for my numerology as it pertains to the cards but my two strongest influences are a book called "the universal history of numbers" and Pythagoras.

Gotta go, son NEEDS me to play Wii LOL... I can expand on this later...but search out the book, it is a must have.

Caedryn

The crowned one said:
I use a lot of different sources for my numerology as it pertains to the cards but my two strongest influences are a book called "the universal history of numbers" and Pythagoras.

Gotta go, son NEEDS me to play Wii LOL... I can expand on this later...but search out the book, it is a must have.

If you do not mind The Crowned one, I would be interested in trying your system.

~ C

IheartTarot

misfitknits said:
my question is: when you consider the meanings of numbers, strictly numerologically speaking, are the meanings the same basic *idea* as numerology in tarot, or are the meanings completely different. as you can probably guess, i am not studied in numerology.

IMHO the number meanings are pretty much the same in respect of the pip cards of the minor arcana but not necessarily the major arcana. Numerology is usually based on a core set of 9 root numbers while the major arcana are a better fit to 3 cycles of 7, plus The Fool who moves through the 3 cycles from beginning to end in a larger eternal cycle.

The suit elements interact with the numbers so it is important to take them into account as well.

The most useful explanation I have found for numerology in Tarot is in The Building Blocks of Tarot by Jacques Theron.

misfitknits

thanks for the great book suggestions! i'll have to go search them out now!!

bradford

For me the meaning of the ten Sefirot of the Qabalah, particularly as developed by Crowley in the Book of Thoth (Naples Arrangement), work better than traditional numerology.

Caedryn

Originally Posted by The crowned one

Caedryn said:
If you do not mind The Crowned one, I would be interested in trying your system.

I guess that is a no.

~ C

cardlady22

He'll be back! Have you sent a PM (private message) reminding him your question is here?
In the meantime, this is the book info:

The Universal History of Numbers: From Prehistory to the Invention of the Computer by Georges Ifrah
*looks like there are a few different editions

Paperback: 416 pages
Publisher: Penguin Books (January 30, 2005)
ISBN-10: 0143032593

Hardcover: 656 pages
Publisher: Wiley; 1st Am. ed. edition (November 19, 1999)
ISBN-10: 0471375683

The info on Pythagoras should be available around the Internet.
http://onespiritx.tripod.com/magick07.htm

The Pythagorean Sourcebook and Library: An Anthology of Ancient Writings Which Relate to Pythagoras and Pythagorean Philosophy by Kenneth Sylvan Guthrie & David Fideler

Paperback: 362 pages
Publisher: Phanes Press (January 1, 1987)
ISBN-10: 0933999518

You can also look up W. Wynn Westcott
http://www.sacred-texts.com/eso/nop/nop04.htm
http://www.sacred-texts.com/eso/nop/nop07.htm *beginning of individual numbers

Caedryn

Thanks for the info. I was just wondering what he put together, since he found it works better than regular numerology.

I did not send a pm, guess I should.

~ C