opposition

Tigga

What does it mean when a card is opposed and how is a card opposed?

Thanks

firecatpickles

I don't understand the question.

balenciaga

Tigga said:
What does it mean when a card is opposed and how is a card opposed?

Thanks

Also known as "ill-defined". There are those who use elemental dignities to read tarot - using the elements - some work together well (fire and air; water and earth), and others are in opposition (water/cups and fire/wands; air/swords and earth/pents).
It also makes me think of having an ill-aspect planet in one's natal chart:)

ofbainbridge

A card's meaning can be modified or altered to indicate opposition...
A card can be:
Strengthened (by like cards around it or other cards of a similar nature that support its conclusion)
or Opposed (surrounded by contrary cards or is itself contrary to the cards around it.)

A card in opposition is a card contrary to something...opposing energies...resistance, hesitancy, reluctancy

This could be reflected in...

A card that shows opposition to the question asked...
Ex1: Will so and so marry so and so?
Lovers reversed

Ex2: Will I remain unhappy in such and such a place much longer?
The Sun upright

Opposition could also be reflected in...
A reversed card in the midst of upright ones or an upright card in the midst of reversed ones...
Indicating that not everything is going in the same direction with the same purpose...

Hope this helps...

Tigga

0pposition

Thank you for your help so in a reading the sun could be followed by the 3 of swords do I conclude that happiness is going to turn sour? and that the sun is opposed?

berrieh

Thank you for your help so in a reading the sun could be followed by the 3 of swords do I conclude that happiness is going to turn sour? and that the sun is opposed?

I wouldn't read The Sun and the 3 of Swords as ill-dignified, if that's what you mean by opposed. (Their elements aren't in opposition.)

I'm not even sure I see those as opposing. They're both about truth. Are the positions meant to support or oppose each other? Sometimes opposition can be built into a Spread (though the answer can be 'no opposition' as well).

I think it's worth noting that just because you have a 'generally' positive card and a 'generally' negative card, it doesn't mean they oppose each other. Sometimes, something that seems negative becomes positive or vice versa, sometimes something positive leads to something negative, sometimes they might be saying the same thing more than you think, etc...

wind

I would read sun with 3 of swords that some painful truth will come into the light, but this will bring healing as painful stuff or hurt will no longer be kept in the darkness.

You know how they say, bring it into the light.
When it is brought into the light, you can face it and heal it even if it hurts at first.

Tigga

opposed

Hello,

I was refering to a book ,"Tarot a master class by Fenton- Smith". He gives meaning to card like, a page of swords ,for example, that opposed would manipulate with tears or sulk. so I was wondering how do I know that there is an opposition other than a reversed card? What in a spread tells me that this card is opposed? Thanks

berrieh

Does he say that "opposed" thing for every card?

Because in reading that sentence, I would think it meant, that if you opposed someone who was acting as the Page of Swords, that they would react in that manner... it seemed to be personifying the Page of Swords, which makes sense, as it's a Court.

Does it say that for cards like The Sun, which aren't personified?

starrystarrynight

Tigga said:
I was refering to a book ,"Tarot a master class by Fenton- Smith". He gives meaning to card like, a page of swords ,for example, that opposed would manipulate with tears or sulk.
In this particular instance, I think the author wasn't talking about the card being "opposed" in the spread, but the person signified by the Page of Swords for that spread being opposed by someone else.

In other words, if Joe is the Page of Swords for that reading, and someone disagrees with him (opposes him), he might (in acting like a page of Swords) go off and sulk.