oracle noob confused

beachcomb

Aulruna said:
I politely disagree with the notion that there can't be a separation in oracle decks.

In fact in many of them there is.

All the decks with a correspondence to playing cards (e.g. the Lenormand cards) have a suit structure and court cards (more obvious in those decks where the playing card is actually incorporated in the image).

Other oracle systems can also be divided within themselves, for example:

- Good Witch/Bad Witch: separated in "good" and "bad" (or rather, challenging) witches
- Wisdom of Avalon: eight Messengers, 18 Animal Guides, five Faery Guides, and 21 Markers on the Sacred Journey
- Moon Oracle (Astrop/Smith): divided into moon phases, moon mansions, and lunar goddesses.

It depends on the underlying system really.

Why don't you just browse Aeclectic's oracle section for a glimpse into the diverse world of oracle decks:
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/oracles.shtml

(By the way, non-card-based divination systems like runes or bones or tea-leaves are called "Divination" here at Aeclectic... in other places, those too can be called oracles.)

thanks for reminding me of that :D because when i was looking through them i definally saw some division. and its nice to know that there are different kinds since i like division i might like those better, but idk. thanks :D

flygirl1010

Fairie Oracle Cards

I am awaiting the arrival of my first set of Oracle cards. I am totally new to Tarot and the Oracle cards. I don't know the first thing about this so consequently I don't know the difference between Tarot cards and Oracle cards. Can someone here enlighten me so I'll have some idea about what I bought?

thorhammer

Did you read this whole thread? Because afrosaxon, fairemaiden and Aulruna have explained it very well . . . so I don't know how any confusion could remain.

Try browsing the Oracles section here on AT (linked above) and you might get a better feel for it.

There's also an Introduce Yourself section in the main forum page . . . have a squiz and make yourself known.

\m/ Kat

raeanne

flygirl1010 said:
I am awaiting the arrival of my first set of Oracle cards. I am totally new to Tarot and the Oracle cards. I don't know the first thing about this so consequently I don't know the difference between Tarot cards and Oracle cards. Can someone here enlighten me so I'll have some idea about what I bought?
Hi Flygirl,
A lot of beginners have questions when they start. I remember when I started, I had to ask the same questions several times before it made sense to me. Basically, a deck is a Tarot deck if it follow the structure of Tarot. This includes a major arcana, minor arcana, suits, courts, and pip cards. Some people are very strict with their definition of Tarot (card 8 must be Strength, major arcana must have only 22 cards, etc). Other people, like me, are very liberal with the definition. If a deck has most of the main features of a tarot deck then I call it a Tarot deck. If it is missing one or two features, that just isn't very important to me. An Oracle deck is any deck that is used for divination that does not follow the Tarot structure. It can follow its own structure or have none at all. You use both Tarot and Oracles for basically the same purpose. Some people use Oracles more for self-study or spiritual growth. But overall they can have the same uses. The advantage of an Oracle deck is that is can focus more on its special topic. For example - a Native American Tarot deck will try to assign Native American topics to a Tarot card. Well, in many Native American cultures there is the character of a "Trickster". Which Tarot card should this be? It doesn't fit very well. Now, there are some very good Native American Tarot decks but there always seems to be this tiny bit of imperfect fit. An Oracle deck doesn't have to worry about making something fit. If they want a "Trickster" card, they just have one. It might sound like Oracles are 'better' but that isn't true...they are just a bit different. I hope that helps clear it up a bit. If not, ask more questions. Enjoy.