Origins of the Tarot de Marseille?

prudence

Thanks for explaining that, Ross. (I should pay better attention) And for the link to Pazuzu. He looks very familiar, and my how similar he is to the goddess mage. I wonder about the bird feet. I suppose cloven hooves just seem more devilish to me than bird feet.

kwaw

Perhaps by giving the devil and companions antlers the artist author was merely having a go at an area or family which / whose coat of arms were antlers [example of the dutch family Beyen coat of arms attached as an example]. Or even simply someone/somewhere called Bois {Bois de la trahison. The name of a wood neere vnto Saint Germain en Laye, the branches of whose trees cast into the water, sinke like stones, and lopped off, nothing doth afterwards come out in the place of them}.

Attachments

• AntlerCoatArms.JPG
    AntlerCoatArms.JPG
    9.9 KB · Views: 164

kwaw

kwaw said:
Or even simply someone/somewhere called Bois {Bois de la trahison. The name of a wood neere vnto Saint Germain en Laye, the branches of whose trees cast into the water, sinke like stones, and lopped off, nothing doth afterwards come out in the place of them}.

In the 'Wood of Treason' Bois de la Trahison there was a 'Table of Treason' Table de la Trahison, the goal of many a walk at the time of Louise XIII. The table, probably a stone block, disappeared with the building of a railroad through the Forest of Vesinet in the 19th Century. L'Industriel de St Germain (August 2, 1862) echos the regrets expressed by some about the destruction of this “old relic” during the construction of the kiosk close to the station of Pecq.

http://mapage.noos.fr/shv2/trahison.htm

Kwaw