Orphic Origin of the Triumph Cards

Nightstalker

Hi! I've been doing some research on tarot symbolism and history. In this thread I would like to discuss the possibility of a connection between the images of the major arcana and the orphic mystery cults of the Hellenistic and Roman Period. I don't know if anyone has ever proposed this theory before, but I know that this probably sounds very far fetched for most of you. There are many things which I can't explain in this matter, so I am very grateful for any opinion on this subject. But first, let's take a look at some evidence...

patera.jpg

I've been studying comparative mythology as a hobby for some time now. A few months ago I stumbled upon the description of a very peculiar artifact. The object is an orphic sacrificial bowl (patera) from the 3rd or 4th century CE.

patera-desen.jpg

The patera was discovered in Romania, in 1837, together with other valuable objects. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pietroasa_treasure

Nightstalker

Here is a description of the outer circle of the sacrificial bowl taken from
Campbell, Joseph. The Masks of God: Creative Mythology. 1968:

tadyfq5h3aufn9gnnl8c4iaprphuc.jpg

1. Orpheus the Fisherman is here shown with his fishing pole, the line wound around it, a mesh bag in his elevated hand, and a fish lying at his feet.
Having been drawn to the mystic gate by Orpheus's fishing line, the neophyte seen at Station 3 commences the night-sea journey, sunwise round the bowl. Like the setting sun, he descends in symbolic death into the earth and at Station 14 reappears to a new day, qualified to experience the "meeting of the eyes" of Hyperborean Apollo at Station 16.

2. A naked figure in attendance at the entrance, bearing on his head a sacred chest (cista mystica), and with an ear of grain in hand, offers the contents of the chest to:

3. A kilted male, the neophyte. He holds a torch in his left hand, symbol of the goddess Persephone of the netherworld, to whose mystery (the truth about death) he is to be introduced.
Yet his eyes still hold to those of his mystagogue, the Fisher. The raven of death perches on his shoulder, while with his right hand he lifts from the mystic chest an immense pine cone symbolic of the life-renewing principle of the seed, which the death and decay of its carrier, the cone, are to set free.

4. A draped female figure, porteress of the sanctuary, bearing in her left hand a bowl and in her right a pail, conducts the neophyte within. For as the female power resident in the earth releases the seed-life from the cone, so will the mystery of the goddesses release the mind of this neophyte from its commitment to what Paul (using the language of the mysteries) termed "this body of death." On the early Mesopotamian cylinder seals, porters at the entrances to shrines carried pails, like that of this figure, of the mead of immortal life." The fish-men of Figure 7 also carry such pails. The neophyte is being guided to the sanctuary of the two goddesses:

5. Demeter enthroned, in her right hand holding the flowering scepter of terrestrial life, and in her left the open shears by which life's thread is cut; and

6. Her daughter, Persephone, as mistress of the netherworld, enthroned beyond the reign of Demeter's scepter and shears. The torch, her emblem, symbolic of the light of the netherworld, is a regenerative spiritual flame.
The neophyte now has learned the meaning of the raven that perched on his shoulder when he entered the mystic way and of the torch and cone that were placed in his hands. We see him next, therefore, as:

7. The initiated mystes, standing with his left hand reverently to his breast, holding a chaplet in his right.

8. Tyche, the goddess of Fortune, touches the initiate with a wand that elevates his spirit above mortality, holding on her left arm a cornucopia, symbolic of the abundance she bestows.
We are now just halfway around, at the point, as it were, of midnight, where:

9. Agathodaemon, the god of Good Fortune, holding in his right hand, turned downward, the poppy stalk of the sleep of death, and in his left, pointing upward, a large ear of the grain of life, is to introduce the initiate to:

10. The Lord of the Abyss. With his hammer in his right hand and on his left arm a cornucopia, this dark and terrible god is enthroned upon a scaly sea-beast, a sort of modified crocodile. His hammer is the instrument of Plato's Divine Artificer, by whom the temporal world is fashioned on the model of eternal forms. But the same hammer is symbolic, also, of the lightning bolt of illumination, by which ignorance concerning this same temporal world is destroyed. Compare the symbolism of the god Zervan Akarana in the initiations of Mithraism; also, the Indian divinities who both create and destroy the world illusion.
in the classical mythologies he was Hades-Pluto-Poseidon; and in Christian mythology he is, exactly, the Devil.
And so we move to the next station, of:

11. The Mystes, fully initiate. He bears a bowl, as though endowed with a new capacity. His hair is long, and his right hand, on his belly, suggests a woman who has conceived. Yet the chest is clearly male. Thus an androgyne theme is suggested, symbolic of a spiritual experience uniting the opposed ways of knowledge of the male and female; and fused with this idea is that of a new life conceived within. Above the crown of the head, symbolic center of realization, is a pair of spiritual wings. The initiate is now fit to return to the world of normal day. There follow:

12 and 13. Two young men regarding each other. As to the identity of these, there has been considerable academic disagreement. The French archaeologist Charles de Linas believed they represented Castor and Triptolemus. However, to this the late Professor Hans Leisegang of the University of Jena objected reasonably that in that case Castor would have been separated from his inseparable twin, Pollux. The pair, he suggested, might rather represent two mystes bearing scourges (for in certain mysteries scourging played a part).
For myself, I cannot see why the two should not be identified as (12) the immortal twin Pollux and (13) the mortal Castor. For the mystes, departing from the sanctuary of his experience of androgyny (beyond the opposites not only of femininity and masculinity but also of life and death, time and eternity), must resume his place in the light world without forfeiting the wisdom gained; and exactly proper to the sense of such a passage is the dual symbol of the twins, immortal and mortal, respectively, Pollux and Castor.
The last three figures of the series return us to the light world:

14. The returning mystes, clothed exactly as at Station 3, now bears in his left hand a basket of abundance and in his right a sage's staff. He is conducted by:

15. A draped female figure with pail and bowl, counterpart of the figure at Station 4. Vines and fruit are at her right and left: fulfillment has been attained. She leads the initiate toward the god to whose vision he has at last arrived, on whom his eyes are fixed:

16. Hyperborean Apollo, the mythopoetic personification of the transcendent aspect of the Being of beings, as the Lord of the Abyss at Station 10 represented the immanent aspect of the same. He sits gracefully with lyre in hand and a griffin reposing at his feet.
Having circled the full round, the mystes now is in possession of the knowledge of that mover beyond the motions of the universe, from whose substance the sun derives its light and the dark its light of another kind. The lyre suggests the Pythagorean "harmony of the spheres," and the griffin at the god's feet, combining the forms of the solar bird and solar beast, eagle and lion, is the counterplayer to the symbolic animal-fish, the crocodile of night.

Nightstalker

Phanes (Protogenos) looks very much like some early world cards, don't you think?

mjhurst

Nightstalker said:
Here is a description of the outer circle of the sacrificial bowl taken from Campbell, Joseph. The Masks of God: Creative Mythology. 1968
Campbell also describes the piece in The Mythic Image (1974). He borrowed most of his interpretation from earlier writers. Most notably, a 1939 article by Hans Leisegang titled "The Mystery of the Serpent" contains two detailed interpretations of this particular artifact, along with discussions of three other rosette artifacts with 16 figures each. It was reproduced in The Mysteries: Papers from the ERANOS Yearbook, vol.2, 1955, edited by Campbell. A PDF file of the book, including the illustrations, is online.

http://ia331335.us.archive.org/1/items/mysteriespapersf011191mbp/mysteriespapersf011191mbp.pdf

Unfortunately, most of the specific interpretations are far from certain, with some of them seeming rather arbitrary. And Campbell's reading of it as an initiatory sequence may or may not be appropriate, although given his monomania about the Universal Monomyth, it was naturally the way he would read it. In any case, Leisegang's comparison of the 16-figure rosette schema is interesting.

mjh

Bernice

Knowing next to nothing about an Orphic origin of the tarot majors, I'm intrigued with the bowl, it's very beautiful.

Left to myself I would probably have aligned the 16 figures with the Compass Rose (...and 16 winds/breezes), North at the top and South at the bottom.

Is everyone agreed that the sequence begins with the Fisherman?

Sorry to intrude.... lovely piece of craftsmanship.

Bee

mjhurst

Bernice said:
Is everyone agreed that the sequence begins with the Fisherman?
Not everyone agrees that there is a sequence.

There is certainly a center, with the central statue facing the largest of the 16 peripheral figures. However, without identifying the obscure figures (perhaps half of the total) in a seemingly arbitrary fashion, and without imposing a seemingly arbitrary narrative structure, there is neither a linear sequence nor even a (a priori more plausible) 4-part schema apparent. As Leisegang noted in '39, "it is no simple matter to state the significance of the figures on the golden bowl, especially as the interpretations offered so far are assuredly unsound in many respects."

None of the several interpretations we've seen presented here seem very secure in their details. Something like De Linas' interpretation, however, which does not require forcing a preferred reading onto the questionable figures, seems far more parsimonious than something like the story told by Procrustes Campbell, with his cavalier projection of a one-size-fits-all reading.

The idea that the central figures are related to Cybele, her big-cat attributes, and Attis, seems very solid. "The beasts to the right and left of the goddess are interpreted as the lion and lioness, who always appear in Cybele's train. The three asses belong to the cult of Hyperborean Apollo". The latter point connects her directly with the principle figure of the outer ring, whom she is facing. Heaven and Earth, male and female, it's a neat package. These kinds of conclusions are reasonable based on supporting evidence, both textual and pictorial.

De Linas, based on a passage from Apuleius, suggested that the other 15 figures represent an assemblage of initiates and priests, some of them outfitted as gods. Some of the specific outfits can be identified with confidence, again via supporting parallels in other works, while most cannot. Those which cannot be clearly identified are simply accepted as unidentified celebrants in characteristic poses with characteristic ritual objects.

Likewise, the cosmological reading of the concentric circles, starting with the Earth Mother in the center, also seems perfectly reasonable given the sources and parallels provided in Leisegang's article. No other structural framework, either a linear progression or other systematic arrangement, appears to be present unless we insist on some arbitrary interpretations.

Staying close to the evidence is the best approach to understanding the artifact as it was, i.e., historically. Of course, interpreting it to fit one's pet theories, either in keeping with Frazer, Jung, Campbell, and that lot, or to fit the related theories of modern Tarot, is obviously going to be more fun. But the two activities, historical research and modern appropriation, should be distinguished.

Best regards,
Michael

Bernice

Thank you Michael.

I'm more inclined toward the historical meanings for the figures. Perhaps if I were familiar with Orphic legends/history I might want to explore a possible tarot connection. So at the moment I favour the cosmological view. I'll be watching this thread with interest :)

Bee

Tarotphelia

Nightstalker said:
Phanes (Protogenos) looks very much like some early world cards, don't you think?

I would say the World cards look like that representation of Phanes - quite startlingly so .