Paganism in Schools

Kiama

Here's an article I wrote abot my views on the National Curriculum and Religious Education... Wha do you think?

The National Curriculum and Paganism

By Kim Huggens

It was the lunch hour, and my friend had asked me to help her out with a problem she was having. I had used the Tarot as a counselling and problem solving tool for her before, so I knew she would appreciate it again. I found an empty classroom, and the spread the cards, carefully working the meanings through in my mind. Eventually we began discussing her problem, and we worked through it using the cards as a guide. We had been at it only quarter of an hour when one of my teachers walked in. He looked confused at first, and had to take a second look to the Tarot spread on the table before he said anything.
"I hope you're not playing with Tarot cards," he threateningly growled, standing totally still and staring at me. I laughed in an attempt to dissipate his contempt, then asked him why what I was doing was such a bad thing.
"We'll have none of the witchcraft in a Christian school, thankyou very much," he replied, before proceeding to tell me how Paganism was evil, and couldn't co-exist with a modern 'Christian' school.

Why did this man, like so many others, do this? Some would say it's because he is close-minded, and un-accepting of other religions. But most people who do these things to Pagans are not the same towards Buddhists, Sikhs, or Hindus: In fact, they aren't usually bothered by their beliefs at all!
Other people may say this man, and people who do what he did, are overtly Christian, which is why they don't agree with Paganism, but we can see that it isn't just Christians who do this: Atheists are just as much to blame, and in fact, most of the Western world can be seen as a guilty culprit.
Some would claim that these people are too old to understand the changes in the religious outlook of people, and the West's growing spiritual understanding. Again though, this is a flawed claim, as it is not just adults who do this: Children as young as 11 have been known to bully their Pagan schoolmates, and exclude them from their games and activities. It is also a fact that half of the Pagans in the world today are adults, and most of them became Pagan as adults too.
We cannot claim either that people like my teacher are generally arrogant or horrible: I have seen intelligent and caring nurses and first aiders jump and back away slowly at the mention of Paganism, and even Philosophy lecturers at the country's top universities have not taken too kindly to a potential candidate who is Pagan, becoming wary of them as soon as they hear mention of Paganism.
So, why do people of all ages, race, religion, gender, status, and intelligence still hold prejudice against Pagans? Because they don't understand us. Next question: Why don't they understand us? I believe it is because they have never been taught about us.
In secondary and junior schools all over Britain, our children are taught about the six 'main' religions of the world: Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Sikhism, Islam, and Hinduism, and it has been found that they do not hold very much prejudice against these religions after they have learned about them. This is certainly understandable, because when you learn about a religion in school, you are taught about their practices aswell as beliefs, so you finally realise why Jewish men wear 'those funny hats', or why Buddhists bend their legs into painful positions and chant weird words. When you understand things that were once alien to you, you have less reason to be scared of them, or to laugh at them, or be prejudiced against them. If Paganism were to be added to the National Curriculum, children would be made aware of it as a religion, and would understand the beliefs and practices of Pagans, just as they understand those of Sikhs and Hindus.
Awareness of Paganism is needed even more so than, say, ten years ago, as we see films such as Harry Potter blasting onto cinema screens, along with the various protests against it. Although the film itself does no harm to the world view of Witchcraft, the protests do, with their banners of hate and accusations. These protests are being staged right in full view of our children, and undoubtedly, there will be some affected by it. We also see famous people giving Paganism a bad rep.: It has been recently let out that Britney Spears has an interest in magick and Wicca. However, she has ignored the religion aspect of Wicca, and skipped straight into spells. This adds to the idea that Witches are just people who do spells to get what they want, instead of people who worship the Goddess and God in Their many forms.
An article about Witchcraft was recently published in 'Bliss' magazine, aimed at girls aged 11-18. Whilst it did not harm, it certainly didn't give all the facts, still leaving the reader in the dark about what Witches and other Pagans believe. It isn't the first time that magazines of this kind have published articles about Wicca, often splashing it colourfully on the front cover with the words 'Scandalous' or 'Shock Report' included.
It appears that whilst the media's coverage of Paganism is more open-minded than it was a few years ago, it is not enough. But we don't really expect it to be: In a society that revels in scandal and shock, it is the job of the media to play Devil's advocate, often turning the most innocent of things into something sinister. I say, let the masses have their scandal, but the one place where truth and knowledge are paramount should not be treading the same line. The job of an education establishment is not only to teach young people the skills and knowledge they will need in later life, but to equip them with the truth, and an understanding of today's world. But can we really say it is truth, when half of the whole story is left out? Can we say that a dome pierced with pinholes gives a satisfactory explanation of the night sky?!
By not including what some people class as the ninth main religion (Seven and Eight are Shinto and Jainism,) in the National Curriculum, our children are held back. Times change, and as they change, the needs of people change. Now, the needs of many people are met by Paganism.
At the age of 13, a child can legally choose their own religion, and it is the duty of schools to help give the child all the information, so that they can make the right kind of decision: An informed one. At the moment, the National Curriculum is leaving children ill-equipped to face life after the classroom, and indeed life within other classrooms! As the number of parents raising their children as Pagan increases, and the availability of books and other such material about Paganism rises, schools are seeing a dramatic increase in the number of children who hold 'alternative beliefs'. If these children are not understood by their peers, then it is they who are going to suffer. In an age when school is often a difficult, challenging, or traumatic time, the threat of religious intolerance in the playground is not needed, and is a threat which I think can be prevented.
I am aware that it is almost impossible for me to change a whole education system by writing an article, however, my point is not to plead with the Government or Examining Boards, but to remind us why intolerance exists, and to make aware the possible solution to the problem, which, I believe, can be summed up in Mr Tony Blair's rather eloquent phrase about his priorities as Prime Minister:

"Education, education, education."

(c)Kim Huggens

Malachite

I like!

Although I have to admit, I can see where people's ideas come from...the hype of things for 'teen-witches', i.e dumb teenage girls with an axe to grind and a love spell to make...
I don't think any other religion suffers from the same problem. Or the two thousand years of word association with someone else's Devil...

Now..send lots of copies to varying levels of government...I imagine some of them have never even thought about the issue before...even if it doesn;t get a result, you can't have done a bad thing by engaging their interest...

Dragonfly

Hi Kiama thank you for posting that. I sure Iam not the only one here who can relate to this. Growing up in the catholic school all my life and knowing in my heart I was a wicca was very hard. Even now at the age of 37 I only have a few friends I can be open to. I hope that if I am ever blessed with chilidren I will beable to teach them to be open to allthings. There will always be closed mind people. But I have to belive that times are changing and the old path will be new again once more. Many Blessing to you and yours. :)

.dc

way to go kiama!

very well thought out and written and it definately ECHOS what goes on all over the world. and i don't just SEE this happening in schools. it's most of the public. but starting arguments on difference of opinions is not my intent here...

i just wanted to tell you congrats on the great article and i definately think you should submit it to papers near and far.

*blessed be*
.dc

Phoenix

Bravo Kiama. I am fortunate where I live. There is actually a large pagan community here, so people are understanding.

kayne

Great article Kiama!

In Australian government schools, religion is often not taught at all. If somebody in the school is interested in teaching 'scripture' it is usually volentary and is based on Christian believes...

Perhaps the reason so much mystery surrounds Paganism is because there seems to be no 'set' document from the past (like the Bible etc) that most of these other religions seem to have. Perhaps these people would have more understanding if paganism was more dogmatic like their religions have a tendancy to be.

Kiama

Many people these days consider Religious Education as useless. I used to. But now I'm realising just how important it is for our children to learn! I have two little sisters, and without Religious Education (RE in the UK) they wouldn't know anything about any other religions apart from Christianity.

And I ask, in such a diverse world, full of thousands of different religions and spiritual paths, how can we survive if we don't know about at least a few of them?

When I have kids, I'll be teaching them RE at home. Proper RE in my opinion, cuz they'll get an education about many many different paths.

Kiama

PS- Thanks for all your replies! I'm glad you like it!

Diana

Kiama, firstly, you're a really good writer. I always guessed you were, but here's the proof.

Secondly, I agree with Malachite that you should send copies to the government, Ministry of Education (personally addressed to a few different people - if you just send one, it may get just dumped in a dustbin).

Can you not summarise this article and send it to various newspapers. Perhaps for the "letter to the editor" page. This page is always widely read. Guardian, Observer, etc. Put your age - they like having letters from young, intelligent people.

Just a thought on the antagonism of people towards anything they consider Pagan. Apart from the ignorance which you so eloquently talk about in your article, there is also the fear.

And I believe that this fear is very often karmic. And it's very powerful, because it's a collective karma, not an individual one. When you think of the terror and fear that was instilled during the Inquisition in Europe: when anyone suspected, or falsely accused, could be tortured, burnt, or at best, absolutely humiliated and turned into a wreck for the rest of their lives. This fear is still very much part of our psyche.

And the old Inquisitors have come back too, some of them to continue the fight they had not won. The battle continues.

It needs great courage and conviction to stand up for one's rights.

Carry on!

Umbrae

Bravo!

Well written!

You know, this country (USA) was founded on "Religious Freedom", and escaping the persecution of the Church of England.

Those principals are still adhered to today?as long as it falls into the category of ?Judeo-Christian?, and very little of the Judeo thank you.

Keep up the good fight, pushing the darkness back...

Kaz

thumbs up for this article kiama !!!

kaz