Pointy Decks like Vampire Tarot

greatdane

Wondering everyone's thoughts re the really pointy decks like Place's Vampire Tarot. Are there those who want to leave an original deck as it is or do you automatically want to round it? If you leave it with the pointy corners, do you keep it in a special bag or case? Some of these decks seem lethal....don't mind the pointy corners too much re shuffling, but just wondering how one could possibly keep it from getting dog ears. Seems like Place's "fanged" edges on the VT could eat through most bags one would carry it in. Too bad it didn't come in a deck box, just the kit box.

Thoughts?

GD

Aerin

Hmmm.

That is a reason for liking proper boxes I suppose which should protect the corners.

I hadn't thought but I won't use a nice bag for my Place - it is still in its box which is good solid packaging.

Vesper

I feel so ambivalent about pointy decks.

On the one hand - that's how the publisher/artist envisioned the deck, that's how they intended it to be.

On the other, I just don't like them. I always want to round the corners, but so far have not dared. In my fantasies, though, I'm rounding them all.

greatdane

Hi Aerin!

Well, I know a box would be best, but the big Place box I got mine in didn't have a separate box for the deck, it was just in an insert. Do you have a box for your Vampire Tarot? I'm thinking I will just get some felt to wrap around the deck and THEN place in it's case for a little extra cushion.....that way the edges will be more protected and it's less likely to rip it up. I DO keep the deck in the big box the kit came in, but when it's travelling, it needs it's proper clothes and the big box doesn't exactly fit in my bag. I suppose a little coffin would be appropriate, and it would make for interesting conversation when in public....lol

Glitterbird

A deck size coffin would be excellent.

Or if you can't find that, I can always make a felt insert for a case if you wanted it. Just hollar at me. :D

greatdane

Lol Evelone!

I SO understand that! I like the look of the deck aesthetically, it has the format of a photograph and I like that. But pointy corners are so not practical. Aside from drawing blood, they can easily dog ear and also rip a case. Which is why I was thinking something like felt wrapped around it first would at least keep it from tearing or poking at a bag or case.

greatdane

Oooh Perfect Glitterbird!

I would much prefer a little insert than just grabbing a piece of felt! I will be watching DNC for this....my Vampire Tarot NEEDS something to tame it's "fangs"!

Le Fanu

Round the corners! Otherwise you'll snag no end of bags with the corners.

Decks with corners aren't comfortable or easy to shuffle. I de-corner them as soon as possible. Unless they're historic decks which I use rarely to read with anyway...

greatdane

You're so right, Le Fanu

Pointy decks aren't easy to shuffle. They bite! Literally and figuratively!

The Place Vampire Tarot (must have been meant to have this one, as it was gifted!) is the only pointy deck I've owned. I hesitate to de corner as it seems appropriate to Place's vision of the deck, but was worried about it eating the corners of a case, so am getting Glitterbird to do a felt insert for me. I can deal with a deck biting me, but not a lovely case!

I like the idea of felt inserts, as it seems it would really protect a bag or case and a deck, particularly if travelling. It also would seem to keep a deck from slooshing around in a bag.

GD

MareSaturni

I love squared corners!

Yes, they do hurt your hands a bit in the first times you use the deck, but if you survive this initial pain, the corners get worn and and great as any deck with rounded-corners.

There's something "old-looking" about square corners. If you look at the old Civil War Era poker decks (the Pharo decks), they all has these charming squared corners, that look so classy.

I do believe the older tarot decks used to have square corners too (I mean, before mass-market production).

I have a trimmed Druidcraft, a gift from dear ATer jcwirish, and she kept the corners squared. They are worn already, and it's a pleasure to shuffle! I also recently trimmed my Enchanted, and I didn't round the corners. I'm still trying to make them a bit less sharp, but I love the way the look!

Surprisingly enough, while I love the corners of Robert Place's Vampire Tarot, I detest the sticky cards tock, so I end up not using it too often...