Poll: Different Decks, Different Meanings?

Different Decks, Different Meanings?

• Total voters

rachelcat

This is a very common newbie question, but one that still lingers with me, also. Do you change your card meanings when you change your decks? Do you use a different meaning for your airy RWS Ace of Swords than for your fiery Nigel Jackson Ace of Swords ( emblazoned "IGNIS")? Does Lady Strength, gently closing the mouth of a lion, mean something different in a reading than Lady Lust on her many-headed beast?

Since many of us have many decks, I am wondering how you read with different decks. (I am closest to a number 2.)

Citrin

Number 4. :)

Of course I have some "basic" meanings/keywords (for RWS and its clones), but I only bring those out when I'm stuck in a reading, to get my words flowing again... Otherwise I'm all about the image in front of me, thinking about how it relates to the situation I am reading about, and that changes each time.

Kaworito

Yeah, same here... Basically every card related to every situation in a different way, so for each situation I notice different 'meanings' on the symbols of the cards.

I guess the same would happen with other decks, although I always use the only one I have... hehe

NightWing

Card Meanings

With most decks I use, I transfer the "set" of "meanings" I have learned, and sometimes a new deck or new card image suggests additional interpretations.

With several decks however, the images suggest largely different interpretations of a certain type, and I tend to use them when exploring particular matters, for example psychological or spiritual issues.

I think there may be instances when card images are so very different that one eventually learns a whole new set of interpretations, rather like learning a new language.

Glyphman

Kaworito said:
Basically every card related to every situation in a different way, so for each situation I notice different 'meanings' on the symbols of the cards.

So would the "situation" mean perhaps where it in the spread?

northsea

In the past, I've used OGD/RWS meanings for all tarot decks, which would put my answer as #2. But now, I'm starting to use different meanings for different tarot decks, especially with regards to the Minors. For example, I'm starting to use Chinese numerology and I Ching for the Chinese tarot Minors, use Neoplatonic numerology for the Marseille tarot, and so forth.

Tavia

Depending

I found with the few new decks I have that the creators of different decks imbue their Tarot images with whatever meaning they would like depending on the theme of the Tarot deck. They create their Tarot decks to reflect the meanings they have in mind. Some occassions, it appears to me more that the creator of the deck was awash with creative design and imagination, displaying on the Tarot deck images that correspond with their heightened creativity. The accompanying booklet that sets out to explain their images gives an insight to these creations - the Tarot deck thus becomes a canvass for their spectacular paintings. (As an aside - these creators/designers may have prominent Neptune and Uranus in their natal horoscopes).

Different decks provide different meanings for the same Tarot card because the theme of the deck is reflective of its creator's spectacular imagination - creating for themselves an eternal following whose interpretations may or may not correspond with what the designer/creator of the deck had intended. The deck forms the canvass for the Tarot artist to display his/her skill. In this then, the designer has found his/her fame - his/her paintbrush/creative design has found an eternal glory in Tarot. And his/her profound interpretation of Tarot will find its niche.

A by product of this is the generation of a loyal following: those who purchase that particular deck will find an affinity to it, sometimes to the exclusion of other decks/other Tarot images and meanings, sometimes not. Sometimes an open mindedness prevails, sometimes not.

The same query posed by the same querant may not necessarily give the same response if the exact same cards are drawn using different decks. It all depends on the images of the particular deck and the interpretation its creator/designer or even the reader, has decided to imbue it with.

Some readers provide additional meanings for certain images on the deck - interpreting the designer's creativity in more ways than perhaps even the deck's creator had envisaged. How the Tarot images 'speaks' to the particular reader may not be entirely what the designer of the deck had intended.

And ultimately, the querant must decide for him/herself, which interpretation best suits their particular situation.

Baroli

I have found that if someone wants a reading and the particular question they ask, warrants something different than my usual reading deck, which is Universal Waite, or Sacred Rose, I will change decks. The meanings of the cards I get by looking at the cards and seeing what they say to me. Sometimes I will write down what I am seeing, otherwise I will forget because the images and ideas come fast and furious at times.

Baroli52

Zephyros

I suppose there is a certain pattern and meaning for ech card in my head, be it the Thoth or the RWS or any other, but each deck, I think, emphasizes different things. In the case of Strength, the lady opening (or closing) the mouth of the lion suggests serenity, quiet strength, mind over matter. On the other hand, Lust, while it can still mean those things, depending on the reading, is a much wilder card, suggesting wanton pleasure, giving yourself up to your inner urges and secret powers that you don't know about yet.

psychic sue

My meanings change all the time.

I do a spread (my decks are Rider-Waite based, exept one) and I just look at the card - of course the "book" meaning is there in my mind, but I will notice a little detail on the card and that just sets me off down a train of thought.

Sometimes things just pop into my head too.

Also, positions don't really work all the time for me.

For example, I can look at the "environment" card, but I KNOW somehow this card is actually related to another person in the querant's life - know what I mean?