Poll: Smooth or Linen finish?

What kind of finish do you like on your cards?

• I like the linen finsh best!

Votes: 19 63.3%
  • Smooth cards are the ones I like best.

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Whatever.

Votes: 6 20.0%

• Total voters

Tag_jorrit

It occurred to me that even though I like the linen finish to cards, that smooth ones are nice, too. Just curious what your preference is.

greatdane

Good question....

Funny, because there are decks I love that have the linen (seven stars has wicked great linen cardstock!) and there are laminated, smooth decks I also love (Gina di Roberto's Lenormand Oracle and psycards come to mind). I guess it just depends on the deck because some stock just seems to work better for me with some decks. I'm very tactile!

MoonGypsy

i am very tactile, also; but if given a choice--Linen, linen, linen!!! :D

linen.:p

Bluefeet

No definite answer for me since the outcome varies by differences of decks. Although linen finished cards are generally superior in quality and durability, some decks (such as the Dutch Lenormand) are still better on smooth card stock.

Tag_jorrit

This is good to know. OK, for the antique old, old looking Wüst deck that I am working on maybe Since they are so old and the originals were smooth, maybe I should use the smooth stock for them. What do you think?

MoonGypsy

After a lot of thought, i think Enchanted Shadow made some
very good points. [i couldn't see past my love of the Linen] but i think she
is right about certain decks being better with the smooth. i really do like the Dutch on the smooth. It is a bit of a difficult call without seeing the results...
It would probably be more authentic to use the smooth for the really, really old restorations. Perhaps you could provide a choice when ordering? Some folks do that...

greatdane

I agree, MoonGypsy with most of the time

Linen...but some of the time, smooth works better depending on the deck. That seems a bit strange because it should be about the feeling, but some decks just seem meant to be put on one or the other stock.

Astraea

OK, for the antique old, old looking Wüst deck that I am working on maybe Since they are so old and the originals were smooth, maybe I should use the smooth stock for them. What do you think?
I would opt for the smooth stock, myself.

MoonGypsy

I would opt for the smooth stock, myself.

i agree with Astraea in regards to the antique Wüst deck: i think smooth would be the best choice, as it would be more authentic.