Prague, tarot, esoterica, occultism

Leo77

So through my newly discovered love of Baba Studios and their decks, I read an article that Karen posted about Prague and the widespread belief in occultism/fortune telling there. Can anyone recommend some good reading on the city itself and its history of tarot, alchemy, fortune-telling, etc? My basic Amazon search hasn't come up with much.

Any push in the right direction would be appreciated.

nisaba

She lived there for many years - perhaps it's something she discovered at first-hand, not through reading ...

Leo77

She lived there for many years - perhaps it's something she discovered at first-hand, not through reading ...

Insofar as her tarot is concerned, probably. However, apparently the history of Prague is steeped in esoterica and the occult and I was interested in that aspect of the city itself.

"The Holy Roman Emperor, Rudolf II, was extremely interested in the occult and gathered many alchemists and occultists in Prague in the 16th Century."

Krystophe

You might be interested in a book called Magic Prague by Angelo Maria Ripellino

http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Prague-...8&qid=1422500681&sr=1-1&keywords=magic+prague

It's not strictly limited to discussing the occult history of the city, delving more into art, literature, a bit about the Thirty Years' War, on up through World War Two and the Communist era. It's a wonderful read, though...history as it would sound if written by a poet.

Part of a review quoted on the back cover of my well-worn copy: "The city of the Vltava, capitol of old Bohemia, is as much a state of mind as a physical location. It was the center of magic in the Renaissance, the very alembic of Europe, and still retains its reputation for mystery and rank intrigue...This is a superb, haunting, clotted , mad masterpiece. It is not an easy read, but it is a rewarding one."

3ill.yazi

It is where Rabbi Loew made his golem...

Leo77

You might be interested in a book called Magic Prague by Angelo Maria Ripellino

http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Prague-...8&qid=1422500681&sr=1-1&keywords=magic+prague

It's not strictly limited to discussing the occult history of the city, delving more into art, literature, a bit about the Thirty Years' War, on up through World War Two and the Communist era. It's a wonderful read, though...history as it would sound if written by a poet.

Part of a review quoted on the back cover of my well-worn copy: "The city of the Vltava, capitol of old Bohemia, is as much a state of mind as a physical location. It was the center of magic in the Renaissance, the very alembic of Europe, and still retains its reputation for mystery and rank intrigue...This is a superb, haunting, clotted , mad masterpiece. It is not an easy read, but it is a rewarding one."

I did buy that one, thanks! It looked really interesting. "This is a haunting, clotted, mad masterpiece." Well, I'm sold! Seems like an interesting read about a city I'm completely unfamiliar with.

FLizarraga

There is also Kafka, and the Defenestrations --for some reason in Prague they seem to love throwing people out of windows...

Leo77

There is also Kafka, and the Defenestrations --for some reason in Prague they seem to love throwing people out of windows...

Well, it is the fastest way to get them all outside.