Pt.2:What kind of wedding would these women want?

bleu_bell

I'm also enjoying this thread and it's helped clarify the queens a lot. This thread and the one about the kings before it made me realize that I wasn't seeing the court cards as "human" characters. I think I felt they had a more "untouchable" air about them for some reason, probably why I always had such difficulty interpreting them in my readings. It's made me look at the people around me and try to figure out which royal figure I think would fit them best. In fact I heard about a sudden proposal one of my co-workers received this last weekend, a bunch of us were discussing it and the question came up "did she cry?" to which everyone immediately replied, "Oh no, so and so is not a crier". It made me think of this thread and I realized she fit the Queen of Wands to a "T". I like that I'm beginning to see tarot blending with my everyday life, had I not read this thread I probably would not have made the connection. So thanks again, for sharing this.

Whitestar

I have to comment...I feel badly that no one seems to like the K or Q of Swords much!!!

Surely they aren't that distasteful to others, are they??

Dreaming_One

Hmm. . .this thread has really got me thinking. I think I agree with what people here are saying about every type EXCEPT the Queen of Swords. I'm wondering if maybe this card gets a bed rep because the people you meet who are instantly recognizable as Queens of S just happen to be bitches, lol. I only know one woman who is a stereotypical QofS, and she's quite scary. However, I'm willing to bet money that everyone runs across Queens of S and mistakes them for some other type, because a QofS is often smart and funny enough to distract people from seeing the downside to their personality.

The Queen of Swords is definitely me, more than any of the other court cards. The aspects of myself that I see mirrored in the QofS are the intelligence, bullshit detector, bluntness, been-through-it-all persona, and definitely the humor. And yes, I have a definite tendency to be arrogant and detached, though I hide it well. However, at the same time, people should remember that things are never quite so black and white as that. And. . .a sterile wedding in a courthouse? Yuck. Please remember, Queens of Swords aren't just straightforward, they're also often creative, and they're still women. . .remember, the female-water correlation? It's always in there somewhere. I'm starting to think the Swords are the most misunderstood people out there.

Boo-urns. (Sorry. . .a little Simpsons humour.)

Then, maybe my indignation is all due to a misunderstanding on my part, and I'm not a Queen of Swords after all. Anyone who met me would think I was a Queen of Wands, for ~sure~, (I'm an actress and opera singer in training), and my wedding preferences are sort of a combination between what people are listing for the QofW and QofS. I can't be a QofW, because the QofS is SO me, unless. . .hmm, are there combination people? Can you be represented by a specific combination of cards, rather than ~a~ card? If so, this thread is totally neglecting a category of women and their respective wedding plans. :D Ha, now there's a can of worms. How delightful!

~May

Thirteen

Dreaming_One said:
I can't be a QofW, because the QofS is SO me, unless. . .hmm, are there combination people?

I answered this in your other post--but to answer it here: we aren't just one court card--we may be primarily one court card (Queen of Swords) but given the circumstances and the question, we could be any other court card.

So maybe you're a Queen of Swords--and in a spread that card would represent you. But if you were about to be married, you might find yourself represented in a spread as Queen of Wands--that is, that's the type of BRIDE you are. NOT a Queen of Swords bride.

In response to the Queen of Swords "Bride" being boring--I think as I pointed out that while the Q/Swords can be understated--and I've never met one that wanted a big-to-do with orchestra and video cameras, etc.--they can be quite creative and very strange. The Q/Swords wedding that I officiated at, the one with the mobius-strip wedding rings, was VERY strange because the bride had filled it with all kinds of symbolism--communicating on a dozen different levels like a crossword puzzle.

For all that it was still very short, very inexpensive and involved very few people as guests. An intimate, subdued and subtle affair with elegance rather than flash or romance.

Free Flight

Whitestar said:
I have to comment...I feel badly that no one seems to like the K or Q of Swords much!!!

I am the Queen of Swords. Sometimes it shames but it is true. ;)

but in the wedding tastes stated by Obsidian Queen which all seem to ring so very true - excuse the pun get it? ring? Wedding ring? uh ok no not funny - I am definitely more Queen Pentacles although during the proposal I would be trying not to cry for all my Queen of Swordsy bizarro reasons

Thirteen said:
In response to the Queen of Swords "Bride" being boring--I think as I pointed out that while the Q/Swords can be understated--and I've never met one that wanted a big-to-do with orchestra and video cameras, etc.--they can be quite creative and very strange. The Q/Swords wedding that I officiated at, the one with the mobius-strip wedding rings, was VERY strange because the bride had filled it with all kinds of symbolism--communicating on a dozen different levels like a crossword puzzle.

and Thirteen this proves your theory correct, that sounds perfect to me that sort of wedding and I just love the sound of those wedding rings...The mobius strip is something I have looked at in my time and wow, that just blows me away..very me. :)

prudence

The Queen Of Cups from Tarot Du Roy Nissanka embodies a more well rounded image, imo. She sounds like what some here are describing, a mixture of energies, not so black and white. She is very strong, and even holds a sword in her hand. Yet, she is very up front with her feelings, offering them up, not in an uncontrolled gush, but in a matter of fact way. I think of her saying, "Yes, here are my feelings. And righto, here is my sword." She is as capable (and comfortable) expressing her feelings as she is defending herself.

Maybe it's also the nose ring and the fact that she loooks directly "at you" from the card! :D

MercyMe

Whitestar said:

Oh my no! I don't think a sharp, witty, intelligent woman is AT ALL distasteful! I see absolutely nothing wrong with critical thinking especially as one considers such a huge life decision as marriage, particularly if she's "been there, done that" and knows what she's about to get into.

The Q of Swords may not be gushy or overly romantic, but so? Who says she has to be? I am one who quite often identifies very strongly with the Sword Queen, but those who know me well value my intelligence and communicative abilities and simply tolerate my Queen Bitch aspects when necessary.

However...I have also been known to be quite the Queen of Wands, the Queen of Pentacles, and...rarely, but it has happened, the Queen of Cups. :) Court cards are stereotypes and no real person is a stereotype. Even as multidimensional as the court cards are, they are still symbolic of the type of qualities a person is exhibiting at the time and it actually helps to have these "people" classified in stereotype because we are better able to identify the person represented in the spread if we ask ourselves who is exhibiting those qualities about this issue right now.

~Mercy

jujubee

You know - I am most all the queens depending on the day but if I had to choose one then the Q of Swords it is. I don't want flash, I don't even want a ring. I'd rather put that money into a home (does that make me more pentacles though ;). I'd rather cut the BS and elope. I don't need the gushy romance- I need to SEE IT to believe it. I'm all about proof - words mean nothing to me. And you know what? People who meet me probably immediately would pinpoint me as a queen of wands - funloving, friendly, party type who would want a wedding so her friends can be there. And yes -that is the type of personality I give out but deep down I'm the Swords queen. And I certainly don't think I am distasteful. :)

obsidian_queen

Drawing a tentative astrological parallel........

MercyMe said:
Court cards are stereotypes and no real person is a stereotype. Even as multidimensional as the court cards are, they are still symbolic of the type of qualities a person is exhibiting at the time and it actually helps to have these "people" classified in stereotype because we are better able to identify the person represented in the spread if we ask ourselves who is exhibiting those qualities about this issue right now.

~Mercy

I completely agree with this. I was thinking about this and something interesting occured to me. Even in astrology, we have a rising sign/ascendant and a sun sign. Those who have their fingers dipped in the astrological pie surely know what I'm referring to. But for those who don't basically the sun sign (you know, the sign you give when someone asks "what's your sign?") is your "true" nature and your rising sign/ascendant is how you meet the world, or rather the impression you give people until they get to know you. So take me for instance, I am an Aquarius rising but my sun sign makes me a Sagittarius. The way I understand it is; that means, that on first meeting me, people find me a bit stand-offish and reserved, I like my freedom, so I have few friends and I am very mental in the intellectual sense. I also have a unique sense of style..not wacky..just slightly off the beaten track of the current trends. Aquarius, being an air sign, makes me come across in the tarot as a Queen of Swords. This makes sense because I often show up this way in spreads, especially when the people I'm involved with are not very close to me. HOWEVER, my family and closest friends know that I'm a lot of fun, can be very silly at times, I love travel, new things and experiences, and I NEVER SHUT UP. Big contrast to how I behave when I first meet someone, because until I get very comfortable with someone I don't have very much to say. I tend to just observe. With family and close friends I behave like a Sagittarius, therefore, I come up as a Wands person. They have seen that I have a temper. They have seen how impulsive I can be. They know how driven I am when I really want something, and how much I enjoy learning, particularly philosophical things. Without getting into the rest of the whole astrology thing, in our natal charts all planets of our houses are placed in particular signs and therefore express themselves in ways exclusive to said signs . (e.g. Venus in Capricorn in the 10th house). So, if a correlation is made between astrology and tarot, that can explain why you might have a Cups (Scorpio, Cancer, Pisces) approach to your money and possessions, but a Pentacles (Taurus, Capricorn, Virgo) approach to your partnerships.
So truthfully, there ARE combinations of people. It all depends on which side is brought out by the situation at hand.
Sheesh. I'll shut up now. Kinda felt like I was rambling my way into a confusing mess since I'm in no way an expert in either field. :D

Sophie

Here's my brief take on these queens:

Queen of Cups - most likely to elope, or to want to marry barefoot on a beach wearing a long flowing dress & her groom in a white linen suit; on the other hand, she has so many people who love her that she'll still give a party for their sake (when she returns form the elopement), and for aunt May, who is such a sweetie, and because she wants everyone to love Him as she does. If she does go for a public ceremony (on a beach!) - she's creative, so it will be full of interesting touches, poetry, songs, etc. There will be lots of wine & champagne.

Queen of Wands - I agree with the adventurous wedding - she could get married sky-diving - but then she'll want a flashy dress; or else have a big whizz-bang wedding where she is QUEEN of the DAY. If Hello magazine want to publish pictures, she'll sell them the rights &finance the wedding that way :D

Queen of Swords - will either have a registry office ceremony with a few friends, and later a cocktail party; or a very original wedding. Probably the most original of the lot, not necessarily romantically original like the Queen of Cups, but something memorable. Also a lot of reading - meaningful book passages. She might write something especially for the wedding.

Queen of Pentacles - traditional, gets married religiously even though she might not practice; most likely to have a wedding that looks like a Four Weddings and a Funeral wedding.

As for my own wedding (when it comes) - well, I'd love to elope then marry on a beach after having sky-dived there; I will certainly write something for it & want some delicious & traditional food & drink. So what does that make me?