Putting on Tarot airs

nisaba

The other day a reader from down the road approached me at work. First she asked me if I was nus ... nos ... (which just showed she hadn't talked to her workmate, who knows me quite well and can certainly pronounce my name).

Then she told me she had heard I was a collector, and she had "connections" and could probably get me a copy of http://www.tarotgarden.com/database/images/g-decks/glastonburycards.gif]the Glastonbury.

Then she swanned out before I could answer.

Just done my research. It seems to be easily in print, and not a deck I'd particularly desire, anyway. A couple of people who witnessed the exchange confirmed what I had thought - that she was somehow trying to make herself appear more important than me, or that she wanted me to feel endebted to her.

<frustrated> Why do people *do* that? I never really thought Tarot was about oneupmanship.

PathWalker

Link not working for me - which deck was it?

Maybe she saw you on the television? :)

ETA - if it was the Glastonbury - it is HTF, although a very limited 2nd edition is in print I believe?

http://www.tenzindolma.co.uk/page24.htm

nisaba

There are plenty of decks I want before it, and it seems available from at least two online sites, so it sin't HTF from my computer <grin>. But that's not the problem I have.

And her seeing me on The Collectors and getting in touch afterwards isn't a problem, either.

It was her body-language as much as anything - her assumed superiority to me because she had offered me the deck (probably at an outrageous profit to her, but I didn't let her talk prices).

<growls>

tarotcognito

< chuckle >

Poor nus... nos... nees... wait! I got it! Nees-Abba! :p

People, I tell ya. Can't live with 'em, can't feed 'em to the crocs. ;)
There are plenty of decks I want before it, and it seems available from at least two online sites, so it sin't HTF from my computer <grin>. But that's not the problem I have.

And her seeing me on The Collectors and getting in touch afterwards isn't a problem, either.

It was her body-language as much as anything - her assumed superiority to me because she had offered me the deck (probably at an outrageous profit to her, but I didn't let her talk prices).

<growls>

Shade

Why do people *do* that? I never really thought Tarot was about oneupmanship.

Have you read the Pictorial Key to the Tarot? ;-)

Some people just do not know how to communicate well with others and are comfortable with people liking them for all the wrong reason. Insecurity I suppose. I just take everyone at face value. Until they leave the room. ;-)

nisaba

<smile>

<shrug>

SunChariot

The other day a reader from down the road approached me at work. First she asked me if I was nus ... nos ... (which just showed she hadn't talked to her workmate, who knows me quite well and can certainly pronounce my name).

Then she told me she had heard I was a collector, and she had "connections" and could probably get me a copy of http://www.tarotgarden.com/database/images/g-decks/glastonburycards.gif]the Glastonbury.

Then she swanned out before I could answer.

Just done my research. It seems to be easily in print, and not a deck I'd particularly desire, anyway. A couple of people who witnessed the exchange confirmed what I had thought - that she was somehow trying to make herself appear more important than me, or that she wanted me to feel endebted to her.

<frustrated> Why do people *do* that? I never really thought Tarot was about oneupmanship.

I'm with you there. Tarot should not be about that. To me, it is a spiritual pursuit and toll to help us selfessly help others (we do have to put our "selves" away when reading for others). And oneupsmanship is a decidedly unspiritual attitude, in my view.

I guess people act according to their nature. People tend to act that way when they feel insecure. Most likely she felt you were "better than her" in that area so she was struggling to try to show that that was not true. But no, Tarot should be be about that. And ih ave seen people also act in ways in the past that really surprised me that people into Tarot would act. (sigh)

Babs

AJ

spiritual pursuit...doesn't save us from idiots.
Ever been in a church? Talk about one-up-manship. Part of life, smile and let it go.

AJ

I've been thinking about this and once I put aside my holier than thou attitude, I remembered doing something quite similar to this. I had a chance to actually talk to someone I really admired and was in awe of. I mentally practiced my little speech, but still, when standing in front of her I was tongue tied, and what came out came out in a rush, probably didn't make much sense, and then I rushed away. In retrospect I'm guessing I came across just like the other reader.

You were the only one there Nissabie :) but do you think it was possible?