Queen of Swords as an Occupation

Mercy

I have been doing a lot of readings about my career this year, and one card that continuously comes up in the future position is the Queen of Swords. It seems to be a future career path for me, but I am unsure of just how that manifests in a job situation. Referring to Mary Greer's book Understanding the Tarot Court, it sounds like an idea organizer, editor, researcher; someone who works with information. I am a writer and am attracted to the idea of editing, but I have always seen my personality in the realm of cups, not swords.

Are there any other meanings or occupations the Queen of Swords fits? Would a cups personality fit well into a swords job position? Many thanks in advance!

moderndayruth

I have been doing a lot of readings about my career this year, and one card that continuously comes up in the future position is the Queen of Swords. It seems to be a future career path for me, but I am unsure of just how that manifests in a job situation. Referring to Mary Greer's book Understanding the Tarot Court, it sounds like an idea organizer, editor, researcher; someone who works with information. I am a writer and am attracted to the idea of editing, but I have always seen my personality in the realm of cups, not swords.

Are there any other meanings or occupations the Queen of Swords fits? Would a cups personality fit well into a swords job position? Many thanks in advance!

I think that definitely yes - Cups personality can fit into Swords job position and if you ask me - that's the ideal; from the Cups you get love for what you are doing and an emotional response where its needed (you see into the hearts of others - with your own heart; not to forget that Cups are playing card equivalent of Hearts ;) ) ;
QoS to me can be almost any profession that's done with excellent judgement - though, yes, she is in the realm of ideas and words, hardly an applied artist or exotic dancer for example.
Mary's book are awesome - to me, best available - take her idea and description and see what it means to you personally; also, i'd ask Tarot itself for clarification. ;)

Best of luck!

Thirteen

Editors deal with people, too

You seem to think editing involves no cups at all. As someone who has done a lot of editing--and has been edited in turn, I can tell you that the best editor doesn't just work with the words on the page, they work with the person who wrote those words. Editors sometimes have to deal with hurt feelings, fragile egos, temperamental artists, people working under certain illusions about what they're doing or trying to do, etc.

That's cups, cups, cups, and more cups right there. If you aren't a cup personality, you aren't going to be a good editor. Editors, at the highest level, contact writers, deal with writers, tell them how to make the story better, what has to go, what more needs to be done, why the book is on hold, when it will be out, why it's not coming-out, etc.--this is a job that needs all the compassion, sympathy, mothering instincts, understanding of art, dreams, illusions, emotions, moodiness, depression, and spirituality that is the whole cups suit with the moon, hanged-man and high priestess tossed in for good measure.

And that even goes for editors who never talk to the writer they're working with--the copy editors. Even a copy editor has to read what the writer has written and get into not only the work, but into the writer's head so they know what the writer is going for and can offer the right suggestions while maintaining the spirit, style, and intent of the work. So the cards may be urging you to be the "Swords" editor meaning take out your sword/pen and get to slashing and judging and researching and fixing and making someone's writing trim and in fighting shape. Accepting that job, however, doesn't mean you have to leave your Cups personality behind. To the contrary, it will make you an even better editor and one who can do what many can't--actually work with writers. Editorial is very much needed in this day and age of e-books. There is great demand for good editors. I think the cards are telling you what might be right for both your swords and cups personality.

WalesWoman

One of the first associations that I learned for Queen of Swords is that she is a Woman of Science, so occupations could go into far reaching realms... how about quantum physics, mathematics, stastics, computer programming, technology of all sorts, as well as medicine and medical research. Things that require technical knowledge and deal with air might be TV/radio/internet communications, news reporting, editor, publishing, and literary critic and/or writer. She would be a great analyst of what ever area quirks her interest, but nothing boring (to her mind anyway, even if it was way over everyone else's heads)

The Queen would be the top of her field, probably with some kind of a degree or license, in a position of authority.

Cups personality with a Queen Swords occupation... sociology, nursing, physician, psychologist, physical therapist, things that require lots of skill and knowledge but are in a caring position.

Then again, writing might fit well into this too, editing books, curating art or museums, film making and editing, mixing & editing soundtracks, etc. Oh and swords are sharp, so it could be a seamstress, fashion design, costume design and production.

BrightEye

I'm an academic and I'm the Queen of Swords alright, at least when it comes to the professional part of my personality. But while this job involves a alot of swordish activity, it helps if you have plenty cups qualities too. You have to deal with people on a regular basis. When you give feedback to students about their work, you have to take care to be encouraging as well as critical at the same time. You have to take their feelings into account. When it comes to the research aspect of the job, you need plenty of cupsy qualities because scientific work, if it's original, involves creativity. My sense is that writing a piece of criticism involves similar, if not the same, processes and qualities as writing fiction (go look up Matthew Arnold; he said as much). And writing criticism also involves a lot of editing.

nisaba

Are there any other meanings or occupations the Queen of Swords fits?
Stacks! Off the top of my head, any jobs "usually acssociated with women" but requiring significant education; ie teaching at all levels, medical professions, anything like that.

Would a cups personality fit well into a swords job position? Many thanks in advance!
I don't see why not. What you do and what you are are not the same things. Also, no person is all one suit, nor is any job all one suit.

starrystarrynight

My [female] doctor/diagnostician always came up as the Queen of Swords.

I can also see her as a communicator of any kind, a lecturer, a deep thinker, orator, lawyer or judge. Also, she is the type who strikes out alone...so she will often be the independent thinker who may not co-operate as well with others as she does by doing things herself in her own way. And Sword courts are often advocators for others...so, she may be someone who fights the good fight on behalf of someone less able to do so.

Topsy

Mercy said:
Are there any other meanings or occupations the Queen of Swords fits? Would a cups personality fit well into a swords job position?
Queens are associated with the element of water and the same nurturing, creative qualities as the Cups. So the Queen of Swords is like a combination of water + air. If you're a Cups kind of person, I think it would make complete sense that your career would be represented by a Queen since they are most closely equated with Cups characteristics.

While the Queen of Swords has "swordsy" qualities, ie she is an intellectual and analyst, she is also a Queen, so she would seek work with a nurturing/creative side too. There are plenty of professions that would satisfy both sides of the coin. As everyone else has put so well, editing would be a good example. You need to be analytical and it's sometimes necessary to be harsh during the editing process if a book needs some drastic changes. You need to read the book in a completely different way to a consumer, evaluating and dissecting it. But at the same time, you are dealing with a piece of work that someone has poured their heart and soul into, so you need to give gentle encouragement to the author and guide them through the editing process as a mentor. You need to understand their creative vision for the book, perhaps contribute your own ideas, and make sure it all comes together in a way that makes the author happy (as well as your boss who will be more concerned about sales figures!)

Overall, I think it's a good combination of Cups and Swords, ie a Queen of Swords occupation. Other ideas that come to mind are a psychotherapist, a teacher and a family doctor. All these examples have an intellectual side but also involve helping others and building a trusting relationship with them. That's what the Queens are all about, to me at least.

tarotcognito

To add to the above: law. I definitely see the Queen (and the King) of swords as lawyers/attorneys, and judges.

Aladdin

Well, i've known a couple of women of air signs who have provided what the Victorians refered to as 'pleasures for gentlemen' and very good at they were too.
Suppose this indicates there is versatility in all Tarot suits, 'fixed' signs or otherwise.