Question for ex-beginners

Umbrae

WalesWoman said:
...a cautionary note... about posting your readings... I started using it as a crutch for affirmation that I was getting the giest of it instead of trusting myself.

Ooooo WalesWoman, what huge huge advice!

So VoodooGyal, listen to WalesWoman.

When you begin reading for others, I suggest doing it face to face.

And forget feedback. You'll be sitting in a coffeeshop with a friend, putting your cards away, and a stranger will walk up and ask and you'll agree and you'll read for her...and she'll say thank you...and get up ane walk off and...

You'll sit and wonder if you were right or wrong or whatever...it's not always ours to know. You have to learn trust in yourself as a reader.

...and have fun.

:smoker:

tmgrl2

I have to agree that starting with the online readings here was a huge foundation for me...but then,

I had to read for people live...I did start reading live shortly after I began studying and reading Tarot....years ago, I read handwritings and colors for people...but hadn't done any of this for MANY years.

My first live readings were for people at work, friends, and some for family.
I never used a book or a reference ever for live readings. I simply did my best.

Then, I printed up some simple cards and made a flyer and accepted things like

...coffee, gift certificates for coffee....no fixed fee, just give me what you think...

There is nothing like reading face-to-face with a person. If I read for the rest of my life (short time though that may be, HAHA), I will continue to learn from my live readings so much more than I learn from online readings.

At this point, while I make every effort to engage my sitter in the process (and I really can't think of anyone so far, in my limited experience, who has not been "involved")....it isn't important that the sitter's involvement be in the form of "feedback" as much as it is participation to help create the guidance than can come forth during a reading.

I was nervous for my first live readings, and now, I am nervous before I start reading for someone I don't know...someone, perhaps, referred to me by someone else...but that all washes away once we shuffle and chat and and talk about a topic or question...

Go for it!

terri

sosuper

Call me crazy, but...

Call me crazy, but I started learning tarot 1 month ago, and today I did a full year reading for my friend. It was refreshing, good practice...my opinion is, if you think you are ready, go for it! If you mess up or make a mistake, try try try again!

Edited to add: It wasn't a live reading for my friend. She doesn't live close by, and she was not at her house so I couldn't call her. I simply did it this morning, by myself, analyzed the cards. Then I typed and printed her "forecast" and if I can't contact her by phone or in person within a couple days, I will mail that to her.

Spirit2Celeste

Hi.

I studied for a while, getting to know the basics about my cards as I had never before had a deck, let alone ventured into tarot. Then a friend introduced me to AT. It took me about 1 day to want to be able to do readings. I started on friends and then subscribed here so I could join the exchanges and other stuff.

I jumped right in. It didn't occur to me not too. I was so excited and I am learning so much. I have fallen in love with Tarot and I am so glad I put my foot in the water. I have a long way to go. I am really looking forward to learning even more.

I have seen you in the newbie exchange I think, so I know you are already doing readings. I think that is great.

Celeste

tarot_princess

i got to know the cards then i just dove straight in and did readings for friends and family around the globe via mail (when I started, email was not available!), then via email and msn... now i look forward to doing readings on this forum too... but it is a totally different world when you read for someone face to face... i
t HAS to be an interractive reading, you HAVE to trust yourself and you HAVE to believe that you may be right and you may also be wrong sometimes and you HAVE to understand that it's ok to be wrong sometimes too. You're not God and you are not supposed to know it all!

VoodooGyal

I just wanted thank you guys for the encouragement into getting the reading group. It is such a great way to learn and build up confidence, I'm really enjoying reading for others and the only problem is that I'm finding it addictive ie wanting to do more readings!!! Everyone in here at Aeclectic forum are so understanding and nice, and it's really great to meet people with same tarot interest as myself!! Thumbs up for the reading group, definitely a must for beginners :D

I can't do live readings (especially intuitively) yet, as I feel I need time to think about the cards and reflect on the meanings .. I'm a little slow when it comes to looking at each card LOL.

contrascarpe

VoodooGyal -

Sorry, didn't see this thread until now, but in a way, I am glad I didn't.

After having a reading done by you, I want to say that you have no reason to doubt your abilities. You did a great job!

My history of reading is strange in some ways. For over thirty years I had the same tarot deck (RWS) and book (can't remember the title off-hand, but it was the black-covered one by I believe Eden Grey). When I lost my tarot cards in my divorce (actually, she didn't get the cards in the settlement, but I did lose them in the move, along with my book) and I decided to take it up again a few years later, I bought the same deck, and the same book. I was even too lazy to learn what the book said, and this was years before I even heard the term "intuitive reading".

So, over thirty years after picking up my first deck, I mustered the confidence to try my first readings and they were done here on AT. I found it to be the best way to start because I could take my time while at the same time honing my writing skills. Three months later I started reading professionally, face to face. I guess I kind of threw myself into the situation.

You will know when you are ready to do live readings. One word of caution - you may find it difficult if you read for someone you know too well. Personally, I can't read for close friends and families because I tend to not be as objective.

Keep us posted on your progress for live readings.

Dan

VoodooGyal

Hello Dan :)
Sorry, didn't see this thread until now, but in a way, I am glad I didn't.

Most definitely have to agree with you there! hehe

It is really great to see a lot of people interested in tarot reading. A few years ago I would have never thought about doing this at all .. sure I have seen my friend do ita few times, but I really didn't take so much noticed until last year! Now that I'm aware of what tarot reading can do, I'm seeing so many "tarots" everywhere, there is even a short course for tarot class at tafe college lol.

You will know when you are ready to do live readings. One word of caution - you may find it difficult if you read for someone you know too well. Personally, I can't read for close friends and families because I tend to not be as objective.

I know what you mean in there!! I have done twice for a friend, unfortunately it didn't really work out since I think what happened was that because I know his situation so well, that i started looking for "fittings" between what I know of him with what his cards show ... Oh well, I've learnt from that at least :)

rcb30872

Well, for me, was when I started coming up with my own spreads, and as I found great difficulty reading for myself, had no choice but to find some guinea pigs. Here is the only place that I have offered readings, never have done a real life face to face reading, feel a bit scary about doing that, but will have to take the plunge one day!!

:love:

Bec

VoodooGyal

Bec .. out of blue and out of curiousity, what kind of book are you writing on? :D