Question: What does it mean when several major arcana show up in a reading?

Druidess_Fianna

Hi there!

I was just wondering, when doing a Celtic Cross spread and getting about four or five major arcana, what does that indicate? Why would so many be popping up all at once? Note, the deck was shuffled very well, I assure you.

Thanks,

--Fianna

Barleywine

Since the Major Arcana comprise 28 percent of a 78-card deck, you can expect to draw one randomly a little more often than 1/4 of the time (rough estimate; I'm not sure what the actual mathematical probability is). Four or five in a 10-card spread would be running a bit above average. Generally, I've always seen a large number of trumps as "big things going down," or several significant external (and possibly conflicting) influences entering the matter that - at least initially - are beyond the querent's control and that must be dealt with unflinchingly to avoid being steamrollered by circumstances. Sneaking around them or hiding from them isn't an option. A lot depends on where they fall in the spread. I usually advise querents to keep their eyes open, stay light on their feet and expect the unexpected.

danieljuk

the major arcana show destiny and things happening from the universe. minor arcana show day to day living. in a spread the minor arcana show that you can change things. its at your level, however the major arcana show the universe is controlling things. You have to go along with it (positive or negative).

if there is a lot of major arcana in a spread the universe is making big changes happen.

Disa

I've always thought of it just as danieljuk described it, however I don't fully agree that you have to completely "go with it". I think that barleywine has made an excellent point by saying "to avoid being steamrollered by circumstances".

It's the whole destiny vs. free will debate, I think.

Circumstances may be out of our control at times(as indicated by a large amount of majors), but we do still have choices in how we react to the circumstances and where we go from there to put our own influences into the outcome.

Barleywine

Circumstances may be out of our control at times(as indicated by a large amount of majors), but we do still have choices in how we react to the circumstances and where we go from there to put our own influences into the outcome.

Another way to put it is that, even if you feel like you're being drawn-and-quartered by several influences that are pulling in different directions, and circumstances seem to be entirely out of your control, you can almost always change your outlook in some way to better receive and understand the lessons you're being hit over the head with. Even if it's just accepting the inevitable with dignity and moving on.

tarotbear

Another way to put it is that, even if you feel like you're being drawn-and-quartered by several influences that are pulling in different directions, and circumstances seem to be entirely out of your control, you can almost always change your outlook in some way to better receive and understand the lessons you're being hit over the head with. Even if it's just accepting the inevitable with dignity and moving on.

In Tarot the 'absence' of at least one Major in a spread such as the Celtic Cross is always (traditionally) considered to be a 'weak' reading, which I have always taken to mean that the day-to-day stuff is blah and no Majors would indicate nothing Earth-shattering is about to happen. [Why that would be considered 'weak' and not something to be thankful about is beyond me. Who wouldn't want a reading that indicates everything is fine?]

To spread 3 or 4 out of 10 is considered 'strong' and 4 or more out of ten would indicate that events indicated are about to happen or imminent.

So, I wonder what those readers who only use the Majors for a reading have to say?

JadoreHauteCouture

the more major arcana, the more serious and long-term the issues are (both good and bad)... Theyre not just a phase when were up and down but they are deeply connected with ourselves, past lives, fate, ego, karma and so on...

Druidess_Fianna

Thank you everyone for the great feedback :)

Labhraín

the major arcana show destiny and things happening from the universe. minor arcana show day to day living. in a spread the minor arcana show that you can change things. its at your level, however the major arcana show the universe is controlling things. You have to go along with it (positive or negative).

if there is a lot of major arcana in a spread the universe is making big changes happen.

I agree. That is what I learned. A large number of Major Arcana indicate that outside forces are at work (guides, angels, etc.)

Druidess_Fianna

Fancy it was a relationship reading, too! Looks like love is in the stars for me...