Questions about Aleister Crowley that inrigue me

Abrac

Hi Aldaren. To address two of your points...

1. This raises some interesting questions. Why would a "great occultist and magician" behave in some of the ways Crowley did, the Abramelin Working for example? I think it depends on how you define "great occultist and magician." Crowley didn't follow tradition by any means, but he understood some fundamental principles of magic (whether consciously or subconsciously I don't know). The "Command to Look" for example. Anyone wanting to acquire power has to be able to attract attention, whether positive or negative. The more attention they can get, the more their persona is infused with energy. Actual ability isn't always necessary, the power of a person's persona can make it appear they are capable of many things they may or may not be capable of in reality. The more energy acquired, the more solid and larger-than-life the person seems. He also seemed to have an understanding of another magical principle necessary for success, that of 99 parts acceptability to 1 part outrage. But he went a little overboard on the "outrage" side in my opinion. If he had dialed it back a bit he may have had a lot more success outside his own peer group.

2. It's hard to say how much of his "badness" was real and how much was calculated for effect. I don't think there's any question a lot of it was calculated. We all have the potential to do some pretty bad things, but some people try to keep it in check while others, not so much. I think somewhere along the line Crowley figured out that being "bad" could get him attention and he let the brakes off. After a point, bad behavior left unchecked stops being voluntary and tends to take over. I think this may be true in Crowley's case, particularly his drug abuse.

Zephyros

But he was prescribed heroin by a doctor; that was standard procedure. While he did experiment with many drugs, normal for someone of his position and stature (think Hunter Thompson) finding fault for that addiction is almost cruel. One must also remember he was never, to my knowledge, arrested for anything, despite wild stories about dead children and unfortunate climbing expeditions.

Sure, I can't defend everything (goats come to mind), nor do I want to (blatant anti-semitism) but like Aeon said, context, context, context.

gregory

And all these drugs were perfectly legal then, I think - if not, not long illegal. Queen Victoria was addicted to Laudanum.... That is how it WAS then.

Zephyros

And all these drugs were perfectly legal then, I think - if not, not long illegal. Queen Victoria was addicted to Laudanum.... That is how it WAS then.

Even if it wasn't, drug addiction isn't a moral failing in and of itself. His failing on that count was his conviction that someone following his Will could use drugs with no ill effects. However, despite that, I don't believe he was espousing a drug addled lifestyle in the New Comment, but was saying that actual running away from them increased one's appetite for them, and so caused addictions. Personally, I believe he was wrong, and couldn't foresee meth or other such drugs despite his addictions. Still, if moderation is what he was getting at here, I can't find fault with that.

Aleister Crowley said:
AL II,22: "I am the Snake that giveth Knowledge & Delight and bright glory, and stir the hearts of men with drunkenness. To worship me take wine and strange drugs whereof I will tell my prophet, & be drunk thereof! They shall not harm ye at all. It is a lie, this folly against self. The exposure of innocence is a lie. Be strong, o man! lust, enjoy all things of sense and rapture: fear not that any God shall deny thee for this."

The New Comment

Drunkeness is a curse and a hindrance only to slaves. Shelley's couriers were 'drunk on the wind of their own speed.' Any one who is doing his true Will is drunk with the delight of Life.

Wine and strange drugs do not harm people who are doing their will; they only poison people who are cancerous with Original Sin. In Latin countries where Sin is not taken seriously, and sex-expression is simple, wholesome, and free, drunkenness is a rare accident. It is only in Puritan countries, where self-analysis, under the whip of a coarse bully like Billy Sunday, brings the hearer to 'conviction of sin,' that he hits first the 'trail' and then the 'booze.' Can you imagine an evangelist in Taormina? It is to laugh.

The craving for these things is caused by the internal misery which their use reveals to the slave-souls. If you are really free, you can take cocaine as simply as salt-water taffy. There is no better rough test of a soul than its attitude to drugs. If a man is simple, fearless, eager, he is all right; he will not become a slave. If he is afraid, he is already a slave. Let the whole world take opium, hashish, and the rest; those who are liable to abuse them were better dead.

For it is in the power of all so-called intoxicating drugs to reveal a man to himself. If this revelation declare a Star, then it shines brighter ever after. If it declare a Christian -- a thing not man nor beast, but a muddle of mind -- he craves the drug, no more for its analytical but for its numbing effect

He obviously isn't telling anyone to take drugs, have sex and debauchery all the time.

Aeon418

I have read one biography of Crowley and found it quite illuminating (A Magick Life by Martin Booth). Could you offer a list of what you would consider 'good' biographies of Crowley? I would like to give them a go.

Hi Carla,

I've read quite a few Crowley biographies, including Booth's, so I reckon my opinion is probably is good as anyones. The following bio's are both good and still in print.

1. Aleister Crowley: The Biography - Spiritual Revolutionary, Romantic Explorer, Occult Master - and Spy by Tobias Churton.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aleister-Cr...&qid=1369155326&sr=1-1&keywords=tobia+churton

The latest biography and now in paperback. Very readable. I particularly liked Churton's down-to-earth and humorous style. Churton gives more attention to Crowley's war time intelligence work than any other biographer has so far.

2. Perdurabo: The Life of Aleister Crowley by Richard Kaczynski.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Perdurabo-A...=1369155702&sr=1-1&keywords=richard+kaczynski

This is a revised and expanded edition of the original limited print run Perdurabo that was published back in 2002. Very detailed and thoroughly researched. Some people find that the level of detail makes this a dry read. (I didn't :)) Very good for referrence.

3. Do What Thou Wilt: A Life of Aleister Crowley by Lawrence Sutin.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Do-What-Tho...&qid=1369156484&sr=1-1&keywords=sutin+crowley

A competent and fairly readable biography. Where I feel this one falls down a little is that it's primary focus is on the external events of Crowley's life. Without a window into Crowley's inner life it's often difficult to fathom some of Crowley's actions.

4. The Eye in the Triangle: An Interpretation of Aleister Crowley by Israel Regardie.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eye-Triangl...369157119&sr=1-1&keywords=eye+in+the+triangle

Compared to the others this one is a bit of golden oldie (first published 1970), but it's still in print. Regardie fell out with Crowley but felt he had to speak out due to Crowley's "misrepresentation and vilification at the hands of uninformed biographers." Some of Regardies insights are very good, even if his attempt 'at a distance psychoanalysis' sometimes misses the mark. This one isn't a complete biography either. It only goes as far as 1914.

Freddie

8-9 wives? Are you sure about that? What's your source? :confused:

Try reading chapter XII of Magick. It's written in a highly provocative way that is designed to mislead the gullible. Also see Atu XII for a picture of the sacrifice of "a male child of perfect innocence and high intelligence."

Crowley claimed to have performed approximately 150 child sacrifices of this kind every year between 1912 and 1928! How ever did he get away with it? })

He probably wasn't expecting the OTO to sell Boleskine off in his absence. Breaking into houses you no longer own to close temples and banish is a bit daft, yes? On second thoughts it would have made a good headline in the tabloids. Crowley missed a trick there. :laugh:

Context! Context!! Context!!!

The extract you quoted is from a private letter written to his old university friend and brother-in-law, Gerald Kelly. It was written in the immediate aftermath of Crowley's failed attempt on Kanchenjunga. To say that Crowley's mood at the time was sour would be an understatement. The guy was totally p*ssed and was 'venting' to a friend. What's the big deal?

No. But that's probably because my opinion isn't based on YouTube videos.

Anyone who has an 'informed' point of view is unlikely to be swayed by that documentary(?). It's target audience is people who don't have enough knowledge to actually have a point of view.

Hi Aeon,

Can you share the picture from Magick? I don't have that book. It took me awhile to understand his written works, but once I got it, it was/is fine. This is a very illuminating thread! Great insights here.

This part of the forum really helped me to understand the deck, A.C. and L.F.H.

Thanks to all here that partake of and share information in this special section of Aeclectic.

Peace out!

Freddie

Freddie

Freddie

ravenest

Hi Aeon,

Can you share the picture from Magick? I don't have that book.

Errrmmmm ... it’s a card;

" Also see Atu XII for a picture of the sacrifice of a male child of perfect innocence and high intelligence."

One could see this working like the magical bell ... the intention is linked with the bells vibration and carries the intention with it ... the 'child' is the vehicle, like the bell (and co-incidentally full of messenger RNA and psychically linked to the ultimate human magical act ... transmission of the life force and creation of another human being).

context context context

Freddie

Errrmmmm ... it’s a card;

" Also see Atu XII for a picture of the sacrifice of a male child of perfect innocence and high intelligence."

One could see this working like the magical bell ... the intention is linked with the bells vibration and carries the intention with it ... the 'child' is the vehicle, like the bell (and co-incidentally full of messenger RNA and psychically linked to the ultimate human magical act ... transmission of the life force and creation of another human being).

context context context

Thank you Ravenest,

I was thinking that way, but I doubted myself. I read the book many years ago (half-assed read it I admit), but I must read it again.

Freddie

ravenest

[ Sorry I was editing my last while you posted so I de-edited and put it here.]

try examining the progression of Atu 9 - 13 in a similar context ... He lives in the Son

Zephyros

I like this. The idea of submersion, perfect innocence and high intelligence added up connect this card interestingly to the Fool. The bell analogy was very nice.