Reading Coffee Cups

a_shikhs

I saw a very interesting interview on the news regarding an Arabic woman who can read coffee cups after people drink their regular coffee. She can tell you anything you want to know, looking at your coffee cup. She claims that after you drink your coffee, the broth and the remainings can tell you about your life and they are written in arabic language. She says that this has been in her family since years and her great great grandmother had the abilities to read coffee cups which now has been passed on to her. It was very interesting watching her short interview.
Anyone here reads coffee cups instead of tea leaves. If yes, are there any good books for this as a coffee addict like me would love to learn this divination. :)

AJ

Must be something in the Arabic coffee a_shikhs. When my coffee is finished I have a clean cup at the bottom!

I guess I could read that as always having a fresh clean start to my new day?

Pumpkin

I have heard of it, but don't know how to do it.
I think it's all in how the coffee is prepared that leave the grounds or tea leaves in the bottom of the cup.

Then I found this while looking up sites. This is from the second link. Tea, coffee & wine. :) I've never heard of wine reading before.

~~~
The art of reading tea leaves is referred to as Tasseography (or Tasseomancy) and is a divination or fortune-telling method that in western tradition interprets patterns in tea leaves. The term also refers to the reading of coffee grounds, especially in the Middle Eastern tradition. The term has also been applied to the reading of wine sediments. The term derives from the French word tasse (cup), which in turn derives from the Arabic tassa (cup).Tasseography, otherwise known as tasseomancy or tassology, is the art of tea leaf reading. "Tasse" or "tass" is an Arab root, meaning small cup or goblet.
~~~

Here's a few sites I found.

http://www.psychicsahar.com/artman/publish/article_202.shtml

http://www.crystalinks.com/tealeaves.html

http://www.adiyamanli.org/turkish_coffee.html

http://www.serenapowers.com/tealeaves.html

Apocalipstick

Any coffee that still has grounds at the bottom of the cup can be read. These grounds are usually very fine, almost like a powder. Much finer than the stuff employed with cofee makers.

The method I know of requires nothing so much as swirling the grounds with the bit of liquid that's left after the last sip about, then flipping the cup over on top of the saucer, which has been covered with a napkin. Dob't forget the napkin--it'll make everything so much easier.

The only ritual I've consistently seen connected with this is flipping the cup with your left hand, and then rotating it in its saucer three times clock-wise.

(The cups I'm talking about are tiny, like espresso cups, or smaller.)

Rotating is probably a good idea anyway; it tends to coat the interior of the cup better, so you don't end up with a blob of grounds down the side of the cup.

You let it sit until the grounds begin to dry and the liquid drains, about 5-10 minutes, sometimes even less. That way, the patterns are dry, or close to it, when you flip the cup back over.

The best kinds of coffee for this are Middle-Eastern style coffees. Turkish-style coffee, because of its traditional method of preparation is one of the best. You don't have to have an ibrik, exactly; any similar vessel will do. If the sugar content is a problem, you can always omit or reduce it.

A similar process works for tea leaves. This means brewing loose-leaf tea and drinking it unflitered. Good quality black darjeeling works great for this, but any superior quality loose tea will do.

The dustier teas are useles, since no strainer is used; you'll get loose tea floating at the top, which will ruin reading attempts and taste awful. The idea is to have the leaves sink to the bottom of the cup, which gets flipped over after the tea is drunk in a similar manner to the coffee cup.

With both of these divination methods, the cup you drink out of is your "fortune."

I don't know about books. I learned this from someone I used to know when I was a child. However, if you look up "tasseography" you should find resources on tea leaf reading. Coffee grounds might be harder to find stuff on. I know of one book, but it's in Greek, and will probably be useless to you.

Still, if you dig around on Google you should come up with at least some stuff, and that's a start.

Hope this helps!

a_shikhs

AJ - Lol, wish coffee cup reading was that simple. ;)

Wow, that's quite a lot of great information. :) Thank you so much Pumpkin for the lovely links.

Apocalipstick - That's great. I am definately going to try this out the next time I have a cup of coffee. :D

Josipa

Reading from coffee cups is a rather frequent way of "fortune telling" in my country and even more frequent in Bosnia and Herzegovina, one of the neighbouring countries. It only works if you prepare the so-called turkish coffee, which is actually quite simple and is what people have in mind when you say coffee here in Croatia :) . The method (to swirl or not, which hand to use when lifting the cup to drink, how long you should let it sit before reading) differs from reader to reader. Reading tea leaves is actually completely unknown to Croatian "witches" :) (although there might be some more modern ones trying this out). It is a rather interesting technique of divination, but it also requires a lot of imagination and I believe some artistic talent (because it's not always that easy to see anything in the cup, no matter how well you might have learned the meanings of possible pictures).

Just my two pence,
Josipa

Tk2dsky

I've done coffee reading. My SIL taught me. We make the coffee using fine ground (turkish ground) in an ibrik ( think that's the word). Basically, 1 scoop of coffee per demitasse cup of water, and throw in one extra cup of water. Add sugar. put it on the stove to cook, watch so it doesn't boil over. What you get is a very strong coffee.

Pour a little in each cup taking turns so that the grounds get distibuted through each. drink the coffee and be careful of the sludge the bottom. Drink as much liquid as possible. when done take the saucer place it on top of the cup. Swirl the cup around three times and carefully but quickly flip over while holding the saucer to the top. Let the rest of the liquid drain while the cup is flipped upsidedown ( about 5 minutes).

Look inside the cup for symbols and pictures formed by the grounds and absence of grounds. Like looking at clouds.

My SIL has certain symbols that mean specific things. She learned through traditional means. I take a more intuitive route.

It's really fun, and I like collecting the demitasse cups.

Al Si'ra

Aw..every woman has-more or less- the skills of reading the coffee cup here in my country (Turkey)..not all of them get it correct..but it is a tradition here..we do it everyday..mom is really good in it though..we drink turkish coffee..it is pretty strong and then go on with the process..i am really so numb about these symbols..i can't get anything out of it..

:love:
xx

Apocalipstick

I'd sell half my soul for an ibrik right now.

Coffee is the States is a bit weak. And the flavor is nothing to shout about. And no one really understands what an espresso is supposed to be, at least not outside an ethnic restaurant.

Al Si'ra, out of curiosity, is the coffee cup divided into regions in Turkey? Like the bottom tells your secrets/past, the middle the present and toward the rim's your future?

Also, is there any special significance to symbols around the handle?

Al Si'ra

You know it depends..some women do it freestyle lol..
My mom does not care about the rules she just reads whatever
She sees and mostly it is very accurate
but yeah;most use that method of defining the timeframes..

And yes there is special sig. to symbols around the handle..some say that it relates to your family.Most women will say "this is your home"-and the more you get away from the handle the more it relates to outer events..

:love:
xx