Reading reversals

Azarial

This is something that I have been wondering. Is it more common to read a reversal as a block, or as the opposite meaning as the upright card? I was thinking about finally embarking on my journey to read reversals, but I have no idea which I should use.

~Azarial~

Thirteen

Azarial said:
This is something that I have been wondering. Is it more common to read a reversal as a block, or as the opposite meaning as the upright card? I was thinking about finally embarking on my journey to read reversals, but I have no idea which I should use.
As with everything else in Tarot, it all depends ;)

And it's really not one or the other, as sometimes opposite meaning and blocked are very similar.

However from the discussions I had in the reversals thread, it seems that readers tend to go for blocked or a variation of that over opposite most times. That is, blocked seems to resonate as right in more readings than just simple opposite.

Once again, however, it really depends on the card, position in spread, and subject of the reading. Some cards have a pretty easy opposite meaning that just jumps out. Others are a little murky when it comes to opposite meaning and so blocked is stronger and clearer.

Tara2007

Yes to both

Reversals do mean blocked energy, if there are enough of them in the reading, I would say that if 3 out of 9 or 10 are reversed it might be pointing to a serious delay about something.

As for the meanings being the opposite, it really depends on the card and also what the question is being asked. For example, I interpret the Queen of Wands in readings regarding my own questions as myself. If she is reversed I take that as meaning that I will not be happy about something or will not succeed at something etc. However, if reading for others I usually take the card as meaning a feminine energy, not necessarily an actual person, and if it is reversed then I would say it means a lot of effort is going to be put into something that may not be worthwhile.

There are many ways to interpret reversals, and for myself, I have had a hard time trying to read tarot without them, but in your case you may have been doing just fine. If you find that you had a better feel for the cards in the upright position, maybe you should let that be your guide. Give it try, though, and see how it goes.

Good luck.

SunChariot

Azarial said:

~Azarial~

I couldn't tell you what most people do, but I use them to represent a blockage or delay. Like 99% of the time. But to me Tarot rules are meant to be broken, if and when your intuition says somethings else. There have been time, althuogh rare, when I knew inside that the reversal was indicating an opposite meaning.

Babs

jenessa

I read with reversals & i'm also beginning to read using elemental dignities. So altho i've noted that a lot of people who read according to dignity opt to dispense reading with reversals once they get into this system, I STILL DO!

Or in otherwords, when trying to interpret a reversed card, i consider whether its influence is being diminished OR enhanced, according to the cards surrounding it. So IF the reversal appears as "ill-dignified" i view it as being blocked, given that i tend to see the influence as being less powerful & dominant in the reading. However, IF the reversal appears "well-dignifed", i generally see it as having the opposite meaning to what it would have if it was upright.

So for me the use of "elemental dignities" is one way to tackle reversals. Altho what others have said about interpreting the card in relation to: the other cards drawn; the cards positional meaning; & in relation to the ?/situation being inquired into, is indeed a large part of the process.

I'd just like to add that in working with ED's, i also consider whether the cards energy is passive or active, and so this also helps me arrive @ what i hope is a correct interpretation re: any reversals that come up. Not to mention, but ever since i started incorporating the system of ED's into my readings it really has HELPED me to read reversals. For example: IF a card is "passive" in the first place .. as per the "system of ED's", but is ALSO "reversed" AND "ill-dignified", then for me its a no-brainer that its influence should be seen to be "diminished" & as such should be read as blocked energy.

Tho i might add, that the next trick is to try & determine WHY the cards energy/influence is being "blocked". IS it because it may be still in its early stages? .. OR has it reached its ending phase, and is thus losing force & power? .. OR perhaps its being restricted? << Note: To try & answer this i rely on "positional meaning", as well as the system of ED's re: how the cards energies could be working together or against one another.

Azarial

Thank you for the insight, it really helps me a lot.

So, it really depends on the rest of the spread and the surrounding cards as to if a card is read as blocked, or simply opposite? So I more or less need to go with my gut feelings on this.

I have been interested in exploring the use of elemental dignities in readings, but it all seems so confusing.

~Azarial~

JennyM

I have a question about reversals:

I recently did a four card reading using a spread I designed. The subject was something I really needed information on. I usually don't use reversals..but all four cards came up reversed. What I'm wondering is this...

Since I didn't decide ahead of time that I was going to use reversals in that reading....should I pay any attention to them? I'm thinking...no, since I didn't say to myself before the reading "I'm going to use reversals this time." Thoughts?

SunChariot

JennyM said:

I recently did a four card reading using a spread I designed. The subject was something I really needed information on. I usually don't use reversals..but all four cards came up reversed. What I'm wondering is this...

Since I didn't decide ahead of time that I was going to use reversals in that reading....should I pay any attention to them? I'm thinking...no, since I didn't say to myself before the reading "I'm going to use reversals this time." Thoughts?

I would ignore it unless you had decided beforehand to use reversals. The cards will come up reflecting your intentions, the nuances of the questions, how you meant to do the reading...If you do not mean to use reversals then you probalby just pickup up the deck upside down and it wasn't relevant.

Although if you see any jumpers in a reading, that rule doesn't apply to them. THey are always relevant, and well we never plan to get jumpers...

Babs

Thirteen

JennyM said:

Actually, I would pay attention to them. Serendipity, to me, means that the cards are trying to get a message to you...unless, of course, you accidently turned the whole deck up-side-down ;) Then it doesn't count.

JennyM

Thirteen said:
Actually, I would pay attention to them. Serendipity, to me, means that the cards are trying to get a message to you...unless, of course, you accidently turned the whole deck up-side-down ;) Then it doesn't count.

Well, my deck is always mixed up anyway...due to the way I shuffle...so some reversals always come up...even though I don't usually use reversals. I usually just turn them around. Prior to doing this reading I had not thought about using reversals...did not intend to do it...but then I'm sitting there looking at the reading...and noticing that it's completely reversed.