Reading tarot for people who are under 18

Zelmira

I would like to know if any of you do tarot readings for people who are under 18. I don't normally do, but I have a friend whose daughter is 15 and wants to have a reading. I told my friend that I don't do readings for under age, but I wander is the mother consents, it is OK to do it. Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Zelmira

Deanne

I have read for kids before (always with the parents' permission).
I find those readings to be some of my favourites - young people are so open to what the cards have to say!

If the mother has given consent and you're open to trying, go for it. If you're not comfortable, don't. Decide what works for you and that's fine :)

AnemoneRosie

I read for them. Often they need reassurance that they won't be feeling these BIG FEELINGS for ever. Teenagers feel very intensely and it's exhausting for them.
I also keep a list of age-appropriate resources in case the cards show to me that they're in a life situation that they can't discuss with their parents without additional support.

Apollonia

I imagine that some of the teens who showed up at the shop where I read were under 18. I figured if they were old enough to get to the shop on their own and pay for it, they were old enough to have a reading.

For younger kids, I would read for them with parental permission. I think the youngest person I've ever read for was about six.

Achlys

If they're underage, I always request parental permission. A friend of mine did a reading for a teenager and was verbally assaulted by the mother who insisted that she was only trying to swindle the teen out of money. It's certainly a good idea to avoid that liability.

gregory

Yeah. I'd want parental permission, but then - sure.

CosmicBeing

I don't do it for a living or anything. Just an opinion, if the parents are okay with it and the child also wants it. Then i see no issue. It be different if the parents didn't want it and the child did or vice versa.

In end, if you don't feel comfortable doing it, just tell them you stick firm to your age limit.

em_idol_twins

I received my first tarot reading when I was 11 years old as I had some problems in school which forced me to put a pause on my education. I faxed the question to a professional reader who was broadcasting a radio program. She picked my question out of tens of requests. I didn't get permission from my parents, but I was glad that I got the reading and even more delighted that everything the reader had predicted came true. Since then I started my journal of tarot.

The teenager who is seeking for your advice could have the same problem as I was going through or maybe really needed your help too. So I think go for it!

I think it is OK to do it if the mother and the child, both have given full consent. Moreover, (just in my opinion) it may be a good idea to tell the underage seeker that tarot predictions are for reference purposes. Just like weather reports, there could be many other external factors affecting the outcomes.

Barleywine

My reading appointments are lined up by the shop owner where I read, and I believe (but don't know for sure) that she has a policy on it. I know she has a lawyer advising her on legal aspects. It does raise a question for those who read on-line, since a client could be anybody.

AnemoneRosie

I remember being 13 and desperately wanting a Tarot deck; the problem was that in my household, children didn't get allowance, and so I had no way of actually getting my hands on one, despite being old enough to get myself to the store.

I got my first deck at 15, when a friend of my mother's friend got wind of how badly I'd wanted one (she was wiccan; she got me the RWS). The problem was, I'd had my heart set on a Visconti-Sforza. I tried really hard to learn the RWS and 15, but the imagery put me off for almost a decade. Now I'm a professional reader, but I'd be such a better one if I'd had a deck that I'd connected with in that intervening decade.

Kids are smart enough to know their own interests. It's adults who screw it up.