Reversals as needs

elena_jaymz

Hi everyone,
I was wondering about what Reversals could mean as needs.

I had some ideas:

- Since a Reversal could refer to an actual blockage of the card energy in its upright position, you may have to consider its upright meaning, so here's what you need, but in this case I think it's even an urge.

- The Reversal is suggesting that what you need is exactly the opposite shown in upright position.

Any other ideas?
Thanks.

Tanga

Do you mean the card position is "what you need" or "your needs"?

I'd say the reversed card then means "you need to do less of, slow down, or not do X (in upright position)".

But... depends on the question etc.

Barleywine

A lot has been written about the fact that reversal doesn't change the fundamental energy of a card, just the manner of its delivery (or non-delivery, as the case may be). In that sense, it could be telling you to pay close attention to the card's core meaning and adjust your perspective according to the types of "spin" reversal can put on its expression. At the very least, you would need to stay alert and open to alternate ways of satisfying or possibly redefining your needs. With reversals, "what you see" when upright is not always "what you get" when turned, at least not at it's face value. It doesn't defy logic (the falling people in the Tower aren't suddenly going to fall "up") but it can certainly make the approach to understanding that logic more oblique and nuanced. I usually advise querents to keep their eyes open for something that might "fall through the cracks" or maybe "sneak up on them" because it's not immediately recognizable for what it is.

tarot_quest

I love this question! And I really like reversals since they add depth in a reading

But they can be very confusing, especially in the advice position. I agree with what have been said by other people.

Here are some meanings that a reversal can take in the advice position:

1) The reversal can represent your actual block (so simply try to do not do what the reversal is showing)

2) The reversal can actually TELL you to do what the reversal represent (ex: queen of swords rx could mean ''please be less rational here''; just take the quality of the reversal)

3) They can represent a delay, a special emphasis on the card (like hey! Pay attention to me)

* I am a strong believer that reversals are not necessarily negative. When you ask about your best quality and receive a reversal, you have to look at the card with a positive outlook

AnemoneRosie

I tend to see reversals as a need to revisit the card before. So, for example, if I've gotten the 4 of Swords rx then I need to revisit my healing that I accomplished in the 3 of Swords as I've not yet completed it or I've missed something and so I'm not yet ready to progress to the 4 (where I might contemplate the lesson learned from 3 so that I can go into 5 wiser than I was). For example.

Barleywine

I tend to see reversals as a need to revisit the card before. So, for example, if I've gotten the 4 of Swords rx then I need to revisit my healing that I accomplished in the 3 of Swords as I've not yet completed it or I've missed something and so I'm not yet ready to progress to the 4 (where I might contemplate the lesson learned from 3 so that I can go into 5 wiser than I was). For example.

If I understand you correcrly, the previous card does not have to be the one that appeared in the previous position in the spread, it's just the previous card in the natural sequence. It kind of sounds like the "ring pass not" concept we were discussing in another thread: that is, you can't progress into the experience of the current (reversed) card if you have unfinished business with its predecessor. Put that way, it certainly makes sense.

AnemoneRosie

If I understand you correcrly, the previous card does not have to be the one that appeared in the previous position in the spread, it's just the previous card in the natural sequence. It kind of sounds like the "ring pass not" concept we were discussing in another thread: that is, you can't progress into the experience of the current (reversed) card if you have unfinished business with its predecessor. Put that way, it certainly makes sense.

You're correct - it doesn't relate to the spread inasmuch as it relates to the card before in a non-shuffled deck. So if I drew The World rx I'd look to Judgement for advice even if The World card was beside the Queen of Pentacles in the spread. Doing so also allows for the reversed card to be either the first card of the reading or to be present in a single-card draw.

Genevieve

Reversals to me mean work has to be done to right the card. This could be facing some things you'd rather not face. It could be removing blocks by understand why you have them in the first place. It's a matter of fact look at your inner constructs.

Reversals could mean a more subtle method is needed to achieve what you need to do. A more direct method will NOT work.

They could also mean revisiting the previous card in the suit, as others have said. This is my favorite meaning. :D

It could mean using traditionally "unsavory" techniques in ways that will help everyone and hurt no one.

I hope that helps you. :)

Barleywine

You're correct - it doesn't relate to the spread inasmuch as it relates to the card before in a non-shuffled deck. So if I drew The World rx I'd look to Judgement for advice even if The World card was beside the Queen of Pentacles in the spread. Doing so also allows for the reversed card to be either the first card of the reading or to be present in a single-card draw.

Thanks! I'm going to add this to my tool-box, although I'll continue to read reversals in the conventional way. I've been doing it too long to stop now :)

elena_jaymz

Do you mean the card position is "what you need" or "your needs"?

I'd say the reversed card then means "you need to do less of, slow down, or not do X (in upright position)".

But... depends on the question etc.

Thanks for your feedback :)

Actually I meant both :D I got Reversals in positions like "what kind of partner you need" and "what kind of relationship you need", so I was a bit confused..