Rune Study: Runes or Writing

Kiama

Umbrae kindly said that he would focus only on the use of Runes for divination, so I thought, as an interesting side note, that I would tell you about using Runes for writing...

Historians aren't quite agreed on what Runes were used for first: Divination, or writing. But that doesn't matter. We have evidence of both.

It could be that Runes are like the Celtic Oghm: Used both in divination, magic, and writing, since for these peoples, all these practices were sacred. (It is interesting to note that not only was Odhinn a God of War, and the Runes, but also of Magic and Poetry.)

It is fun to write in Runes, but it does take a bit of practice. I have been doing it ever since I got my set of Runes, and now I can write in Runes at the same speed as I can in the English alphabet.

You are asking youself, Why write in Runes? Some Rune Masters say you shouldn't. Some say you should. All I know is that it can be used in your magickal diaries, for spellwork and magick, and for writing things own that you want nobody else to read. It is also a great thing to play with: My Philosophy teacher and his best friend used to spend alot of their time writing letters to each other in Runes...

Anyway, here's how you do it: Each Rune has an equivalent in the English language lettering. Some Runes have more than one equivalent... Firsty, as I cannot actually show you each Rune on this post, I will direct you to a link which you can see each Rune on, so you know which ones I am talking about.

http://www.anglo-saxon.demon.co.uk/Skvala/runeprim.html

(Scroll down till you see the Runes: They are in the order I will go through now.)

Feoh: 'F'
Uruz: 'U'
Thurisaz: 'Th'
Ansuz: 'A'
Raidho: 'R'
Kenaz: 'C', 'K', 'Q'
Gebo: 'G'
Wunjo: 'V', 'W'
Hagalaz: 'H'
Naudhis: 'N'
Isa: 'I'
Jera: 'J,' Y'
Eewaz: é (Short e, as in the word 'met')
Perthro: 'P'
Elhaz: Z
Sowilo: 'S'
Tiwaz: 'T'
Berkana: 'B'
Ehwaz: 'Ee' (Long E as in Meet)
Mannaz: M
Laguz: L
Ingwaz: Ing
Dagaz: D
Othila: O

So, if you are trying to write 'meeting', you would use Mannaz, Ehwaz, Tiwaz, and then Ingwaz! Simple! But you wouldn't write out the whole name of each Rune... Just its symbol.

Enjoy!

Kiama

Malachite

just to clarify...

Historians differ, but only cos they hate to agree...

Runescript has been used for Grafitti across northern Europe, and been recorded as being used in divination, so that about covers it....

;)

These historians, I ask you....*sigh*

Phoenix

I love to write in runic!! I am attempting to learn the modern english phonetic values of the Ogham so I can write with it.

On a little side note, it is common to write left to right in runic, but for a break between words, a dot is used intstead of a space.

jade

cool!

in light,
jade :)