Runes and Colour

Little Baron

Digging through the loft today, I found a set of runes that I bought quite a few years ago.

I don't remember which ones they are since the packaging was chucked many years ago. I can tell you, aside from the accompanying hardback book being published by Element and it's writer being Maria Letizia Renzulli, that the actual runes are plain and very uninspiring - black plasic with a gold symbol on each. I have no problem with the accompanying book but the runes are quite horrid.

I had been thinking about runes recently, especially after Moonbows post, and have considered making some for myself. I feel a handmade set would be nicer. I have looked though some of the threads and have seen some stunning sets that members here have made. I did make a set for a friend about ten years ago out of found pebbles, but this time, was considering buying semi-precious stones for the job.

I thought than rather than just buying a lot of them and making them, I would spend a week getting to know the 'said rune' and at the end buy an appropriate stone and engrave/paint it. It would take longer but obviously, stones are not cheap (when you have no cash).

I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find information that might help me to decide which stones would be appropriate for each rune - down to energies and colour. I have done some (very minimal) reading on Fehu this afternoon and thought that colourwise, gold may be appropriate. But ith which stone? I know little about crystals and stones, so any information would be greatly appreciated.

Yaboot

Moonbow

How about Black Onyx for Algiz

Algiz is the rune of protection and Black Onyx is used for protection, grounding and centering.

Moonbow

I have another suggestion........

The eight rune, Inguz, is the rune of fertility and is akin to the moon......... how about Moonstone? :D one of my favourites too! :)

Little Baron

Thanks Moonbow!

Great suggestions. I will be looking into them when the time comes around.

I have just gone through a draw and found a sheet of paper with the meanings for many gemstones on it. That should also be helpful when I buy the appropriate stone.

As I said, I think this week will be the week of 'Fehu'. I will research as much as I can about it (if I get any bloody time, hehe) and at the end of the week, when back home, I will go and look in my local spiritual shop for the stone - looking at appropriate colours (possibly a golden one for Fehu) and see whether the meanings associated make a sense and compare. Hopefully, learning through colour and how the stones relate to the symbols will help to make my understanding of the runes clearer. I am hoping to use them with the cards; throwing a couple with the spread or placing one over certain cards for added messages and clarification.

Yaboot

tabbycat

I have a set of runes with different stones - they're made of resin, with the rune inscribed on one side and the stone embedded in the other. I don't know what criteria were used to choose the stones, but I'll post a list -
Fehu - Red Jasper
Uruz - Yellow Agate
Thurisaz - Black Onyx
Ansuz - Amethyst
Raidho - Turquoise
Kenaz - Red Tiger Eye
Gebo - Rose Quartz
Wunjo - Green Onyx
Hagalaz - Labradorite
Nauthiz - Tourmalinated Quartz
Isa - White Agate
Jera - Moss Agate
Eihwaz - Fossil Jasper
Perthro - Smoky Quartz
Algiz - Aventurine
Sowilo -Tiger Eye
Tiwaz - Bloodstone
Berkana - Carnelian
Ehwaz - Hawk Eye
Mannaz - Quartz Crystal
Laguz - Lapis Lazuli
Inguz - Moonstone
Othila - Malachite
Dagaz - Citrine
Wyrd - Rainbow Moonstone

They are a set of runes with a sense of humour! I once did a daily draw on a wet, miserable day with the question 'What will today bring?' and got the answer 'Water'!
If you're after an inexpensive set of runes, there's a woman on eBayUK at the moment who makes sets (smallish stones, painted symbols and varnished, but they come in nice silk bags) for about £7. She uses some unusual stones - I got a set in unakite from her. I could p-m you with her username, if you like.

Jilly

tabbycat

Just another thought - the Brian Froud book, The Runes of Elfland is lovely! Not very helpful for serious study though, as each of the runes is represented by a gorgeous picture and a charming fairy tale. In the background of each picture is a secret message or rhyme written in runes which can be translated by referring to a list in the back of the book. Once you've done a few, you find you can read them without the crib sheet, a very easy and insidious way to learn, I felt! I'm thinking of giving the book to a friend's daughter for Xmas - a sneaky way to ease her into studying the occult, I think!
Jilly

Moonbow

It's interesting that tabbycat's set has Inguz for Moonstone too.

Another idea (which would only give you seven colours - but's it's a start) is to go by the chakras.

Base = red or black (Garnet?)
Sacral = Orange (Carnelian?)
Solar Plexus = Yellow (Citrine)
Heart = green or Pink (Jade or Rose Quartz?)
Throat = Blue (Blue Lace Agate?)
Third Eye = Indigo (Sodalite?)
Crown = Purple (Amethyst?)

Higher Self is usually white or clear (Clear Quartz or Selenite?)

Edited for a link...

This is a reiki site which I love but it has a useful section on the chakras. Just click the list on the left for a wealth of information about each one and a suggested list of stones.

http://www.solarraven.com/chakra.html

Little Baron

Thanks Jilly

I did look around the web for a set but I am quite into the idea of my making my own. If I had the whole set here and now, I think I would possibly flit between them and be overwhelmed. This way, I can take it one at a time and the process of finding each stone on the basis of what I have learnt about the symbols may be a good way to absorb the information and feelings I get for each one; like meeting one person at a time, rather than a room full and not being able to remember their names.

Was thinking ... I might even use some found items for the runes also ... pebbles or stones that make sense during my week with the said rune. It all feels quite eclectic, which I like.

Your list will be a great starting point. I will look at the corresponding stones as I go along. Cheers!

Yabs

Little Baron

Thanks Moonbow. I will look into that. In the 'Rune' book I have, there is a section on chakras, which may also be helpful.

I am looking forward to doing this. Doing them one at a time will make it a very personal set and will give enough time to really get to know each one, as they will be chosen for a specific number of reasons and considered.

Yabs

Fulgour

Ingwaz: the 22nd Rune

Moonbow* said:
The eight rune, Inguz, is the rune of fertility and is akin to the moon...
I've always read this one as male sexual rapture... better check!?