Runes and How to Read Them

paranoiabombss

I was just given a set of runes as a gift recently, and I'm really excited to begin reading with them. The only problem is I don't know how to go about that just yet. I raided the internet but didn't find too much on how to actually use them. I also bought a pendulum because I heard you can read runes with one.

So, my question is: How do I go about starting to use these two tools, either separately or together? Any suggestions on good websites/books/etc to find some information? Any information would be great. Thanks!

janie144

I don't use my runes very often I tend to stick to my tarot cards but when I do use them I just draw three from the bag much like a three card tarot reading.

I know that you can also use a chart with runes (I have never done this) try drawing a circle (round a dinner plate or something) then section it into triangles, like cutting a pie, and in each section write which areas of your life it represents, ie finances, family, work, health etc, then tip your runes onto the chart, any that come off the chart are disregarded, and then just read the ones that are left.

Also this is quite a good site for looking up meanings.

paranoiabombss

Thanks so much! I've slowly begun pulling them out of the bag to see what they mean, but I never thought of using a chart. I'll definitely have to try that! :)

Milfoil

Another good set of articles can be found here

From a Heathen perspective, understanding the Gods and beliefs of the Norse people who used the runes is essential to understanding the runes more fully.

Studying a different rune each day or week can help. Writing it down, saying the name, chanting the name while thinking of the meaning . . . there are lots of ways to learn.

Sometimes thinking about an issue in your life right now and choosing one rune to represent the issue and a second rune to represent the change you would like to see or an ideal outcome, hope etc This can help us to consider all the runes and their qualities in order to make that choice.

Writing down key words that spring to mind.

Learning the runes can be a massive undertaking and there is some excellent information here on AT to start you off.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=15597