Runes and Religion

Skysteel

Hallo again, AT.

I promise I didn't intend the title of this thread to be inflammatory...I'm just a sucker for alliteration. Basically, to what extent is it necessary to believe in the Norse gods when using the (Elder Futhark) Runes? I mean, identifying with the old Germanic mindset and understanding the culture is one thing, but if one doesn't really believe in the same gods they did, is it an empty endeavour to attempt to use the Runes? I know the Runes supposedly originated with Odin, and many reference other Gods, but they also have significance apart from divine attribution; just wondering what people think.

Hopefully I haven't inadverently offended someone with my ignorance; I look forward to your replies.
- :)

Rosanne

Hi SkySteel! I love Runes. I think Runes come from a shaman mindset- that is a person who was considered wise. The spiritual perceptions would to my mind, be kind of universal. Like Tarot, I think they are a tool for obtaining what you want (not as in Lotto) through exercising your will. Runes are used by you to experience the knowledge and then follow through with the action I guess. If you take on the myths and Gods you are looking outside of yourself, but the answers are within you- so to answer your question it is not an empty endeavour. I do not have the same beliefs as Medieval Christians, but I use their universal wisdom in Tarot. ~Rosanne

Pagan X

I don't think you have to be a worshipper of the Norse gods (neoPagan Reconstructionist) to use the Runes for divination.

Thorsson aka Flowers, for example, is not a worshipper of the Norse gods; he is an Odianist, which is a form of magical practice. Tyson and Fries are Ceremonial Magicians. Blum is not an occultist nor a Pagan.

Many forms of divination have been "unhooked" from their roots in a specific religion, for example, the I Ching and possibly the Tarot. Plus, there is no actual evidence whatsover for a religious use of the Runes. In fact, we don't have solid evidence for a divinatory use of the Runes before the 20th century. The three accounts in literature of divining by signs on slips of wood do not specify that those signs are the Runes in particular, and alphabet, a collection of divinatory signs, or any details. They could have been similar to diving by lots using the roman Alphabet: signs pertaining to a particular question written on slips, such as initials, the words "Yes" and "no", etc.

blackstormhawk

I don't think that it's strictly necessary to follow a Germanic or Norse path to utilize the runes, although the symbology is somewhat culture-bound, it is straightforward enough to understand outside of that context. I use the runes within a Germanic context, another friend has Froud's "Runes of Elfland" book and works with the runes as a tool of Faerie.

Think of it this way ... you can use an RWS tarot without being part of The Golden Dawn or a Kabalist, but knowing more about these wisdom paths enriches your experience.

Rosanne

blackstormhawk said:
Think of it this way ... you can use an RWS tarot without being part of The Golden Dawn or a Kabalist, but knowing more about these wisdom paths enriches your experience.
Well put blackstormhawk! Thats it exactly with Runes- I know the myth and legend but cannot really relate, but that has not interfered with my use. The only trouble I have is with Native American cultural beliefs. I feel completely fake using their symbols and really if I relate that to Runes- it is somehow not the same. ~Rosanne

blackstormhawk

You are not of, or in this land (The United States) and so it is not unusual for you not to have a connection with the spirits and spirit keepers of this place. One of the prophecies of The Mohawk people was that there would come a time when the children of all the peoples of all directions would come to the Native People and listen to their teachings. I think there may be something similar in the Maori propechies. Since you are in New Zealand, even if not of Maori blood, do you touch their spirits, hear their songs and yearn to dance with them? The spirit of place is as strong sometimes as the spirit of family and memory.

The runes may well call to you by blood and racial memory as well ... did your forebears come from the British Isles? There could be a connection to the runes, for example, through the blood of the Saxons, or of Norse invaders in years before memory.

Greywoolfe

blackstormhawk said:
The runes may well call to you by blood and racial memory as well ... did your forebears come from the British Isles? There could be a connection to the runes, for example, through the blood of the Saxons, or of Norse invaders in years before memory.

I can readily identify with that, blackstormhawk. Although my religion is Buddhism, my racial origins are Saxon and Celtic, and my Celtic ancestors certainly met and interbred with Norsemen; my researches into Celtic history and my family tree seem to verify this. Because of that, I always had a hankering to learn the Runes, and I am surprised at how easily the craft is coming to me- maybe racial identity does have some significance.

As to calling upon the Norse Gods, I have no problem with that; I came to Buddhism via Theosophy, and learned from this that all religions have a common root wisdom, and therefore the various names of the Gods (Or aspects of God in monotheistic faiths) have equal significance. Whether you call him Odin, Wotan, Zeuss or Jupiter, he is still the king of the Gods, depending upon which pantheon you call upon for guidance.

Skysteel

Thanks for the replies, everyone.
- :)

One thing that I've noticed is the Aetts are named after gods, and they seem to be a fairly important part of how the Runes are organised. Again, though I suppose the themes of said gods can be considered separately from the gods themselves.

SunChariot

It's not a necessity for sure. The Runes work well for me and I don't believe in those gods or know all that much about them to be honest. I just go with the major themes of the Runes chosen and expand on them in relation to the question and in relation to the positions they land it. It works, whether you know about the actual gods or not.

Bar