Saturn returns...but what does he do?

Pipistrelle

Hi,

I've heard mention of Saturn returns quite a lot, with people expressing that it can be a time of change and upset, but what does this mean exactly? What sort of changes and upsets? Can anyone give examples? I'm curious because my Saturn return is coming up (Leo) and I've had a good life so far ;) Are things going to start getting rocky??!

Pip

fyreflye

I got married during my first one (mixed results,) moved from Berkeley to Marin during my second (generally ok.) Saturn teaches lessons. If you're awake instead of sleepwalking you're already assimilating your lessons; if you're a sleepwalker Saturn will wake you whether you like it or not.

ncefafn

I couldn't have said it better myself, fyreflye. :)

Kim

dadsnook2000

The Saturn Cycle

A "Saturn Return" is merely a marking-point in a continuous cycle -- although it is a significant point in itself. Think of it as Saturn conjuncting Saturn! Natal Saturn has a meaning in your chart, a meaning shaped by its Sign, House, and especially its aspectual pattern. Consider these points:

1) Saturn has a specific meaning and focus within your chart by House, Sign and Aspect.

2) Saturn is continuously moving through your chart, expressing itself thru various signs, houses and contacts with both other planets that it has natal aspects to as well as with planets it has no natal affinity with.

3) You have been gathering experience based on Saturn and all of the other factors in your chart. Hopefully, these have been in balance with Saturn, and Saturn in balance with them.

THEN, you have the dreaded Saturn Return !!! Everyone say Ohhhhh.

There are "typical" experiences and awarenesses that many seem to recognize at this point: You sense a new phase in your life, you mature in your tastes and outlook, you take on new or different responsibilities, you have a sense of needing to set some goals, you feel dissatisfied with life in general but don't know why.

Behind all of this is the cyclic pressures for growth and awareness of the passing of time that Saturn seems to correlate with. You will have already experienced Saturn thru a full cycle and will now need to change or assimilate the lessons that you have been exposed to. Hopefully you learned things from that total 29 to 30 year cycle. If you haven't, then you will likely experience a "nose against the stone wall" effect. Life will find ways to bring you against tough lessons.

Prior to the actual Saturn Return you should have become aware of a sense of the past and future -- where you have been, where you might need to go. The actual "return" point in time may or may not be acutely experienced. If not, don't be fooled. Saturn's lessons don't slip by you, there is no free ride. You have a couple of years in which to realize the need for personal change and growth -- it can be experienced all at once, in big dramatic chunks, or in small and continuous irritating experiences. We will find our own way to wear this "hair shirt."

Remember, Saturn is a cyclic expression. At around 42 years of age, Saturn is opposite its natal and prior return point -- this is the time of the famous mid-life crises that many experience. Now, that "mid-life crises" can seem to be fun and exciting but it does require you to face yourself and to make hard choices -- the consequences of which you will have to live with. There are often other cyclic points such as the squares that can also be strongly felt. Further, we have the Saturn across the Ascendant cycle -- what a depressing time that can be. The Saturn-Ascendant cycle is easier to watch as Saturn moves through your houses and contacts your natal planets.

So, to sum it all up, in 500 words or less, Saturn actually works overtime on a cyclic basis. Its just easier to see him when he shows up a familiar points in your chart. But he is always there. Further, he can work with your other planets as well. The Saturn-Moon cycle can show how you grow through, or in spite off, your social/family conditioning and training. Saturn-Jupiter cycles can show how you manage your life and business through its cyclic activity. For some, Saturn and Uranus cycles can show how you manage your social "activism" goals. But, however you look at Saturn, you have to see him as a continuous "testing" force, an urge to grow and change. Dave.

persephone1

Hello :)

Saturn return affects everyone so differently but it really does begin major changes in life. You generally begin to feel restless and start to evaluate your present life condition. If satisfied, you may simply begin to explore different options to add more depth to your life. If dissastisfied, you may find you are somewhat confused but make random changes which make sense much, much later. People end marriages, get married, start families, change careers, travel the world etc etc and a lot of the time they are not aware of the driving force behind it but on reflection realise it is all part of this cyclic return focus. Obviously someone with some astrology knowledge will be more aware of the expected energy shift so it can be quite confusing for those who don't investigate astrology at all.

What IS interesting with the energy of saturn as his results are never fully appreciated until well after his contact is that the saturn square brings a lot more clarity to the why's and where's and adds a new dimension to everything. So perhaps the changes brought forth at the return may have travelled a little off course and saturn square brings it back in again.

Enjoy this time, as when followed this energy can really bring strength and achievement later on in life.

Pipistrelle

Wow - thanks for your replies everyone. I find all this fascinating, as I've only just recently become interested in Astrology. It's amazing how the majority of us stumble through life unaware of these cycles and patterns that effect us. I'm quite looking forward to seeing what my Saturn return throws up :)

Thanks Dadsnook for the excellent overview of what's going on and how it's part of a bigger cyclic pattern - I'm going to take a look at my chart and read up about Saturn in Leo/see what house he's in (as I said, I'm new, so I don't know off the top of my head yet).

Thanks!

Pip

isthmus nekoi

Pipistrelle,

A more personal way of looking at your Saturn return is to review the times that Saturn made hard aspects to itself earlier. What issues were raised with your Saturn square Saturn? How did you feel during Saturn opposition Saturn? That will give you a clue as to what to expect.

Also, how do you feel Saturn has played out in your natal chart? A transiting aspect will set off personal, natal themes and develop them. So say you have a Saturn-moon aspect in your chart you can expect that issue to come to the fore in a new way.

persephone1

Indeed! I concur

and one can never forget about placing saturn in the current sky in reality, no matter what he is touching in the natal. for instance, eg: if you have saturn in cancer natally, you emotions would be very much under the microscope right now, where you want your emotional future to be heading, the BIG picture, etc etc....so, look at your chart and find your cancer house and what planets are in there, and they too will be feeling the effects of your saturn return.

also, have a good look at yur capricorn and aquarius houses, they will also have a nice exploration, plus whatever aspects will be embroiled in all of that.

and people question the mid-life crisis!

WhiteRaven

I have a question...

What if a person is Cancer with Moon in Leo....is this going to be a double whammy for them as Saturn moves out of Cancer and into Leo?

Pipistrelle

wow...there's so much to take into consideration!

isthmus nekoi, I like the suggestion of looking at past Saturn aspects, but how can I find out/work out when those occurred? I am only just coming to grips with my natal chart so if this is a bit too advanced, please say and I'll have to come back to it later :)

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Pip