Seashell Runes

GotH

I'm thinking of making my own runes using these kinds of seashells which are about the size of a quarter. (mid sized American coin) Does anyone have any experience making these or have ideas on how I should go about it? I figure using a paint pen to draw the symbols on the inside of the shell would do but I was wondering if something else would work better. I have a draw string velvet bag I'm going to store them in.

ETA: I finished the project I started earlier this week and added the pics here..​

The Finished Set

Darkmage

Baby scallops are good eating. Jus' sayin...

If you have an engraving tool, they'll work nicely on shells as they're soft. Then you can paint in the engraved runes. I would think just paint would wear off pretty quickly if you plan on using them often.

GotH

HI !! what fun...

do you remember this thread? Maybe she is still around.. it was soo cool. You could email her.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=221904
Oh yeah, I remember that thread. And what an appropriate reading to go along with this subject. Thanks for posting that link anie. :) Good thinking to ask her.

Baby scallops are good eating. Jus' sayin...

If you have an engraving tool, they'll work nicely on shells as they're soft. Then you can paint in the engraved runes. I would think just paint would wear off pretty quickly if you plan on using them often.
It's definitely a good time of the year for some seafood stew. ;)

Now would one be able to engrave a shell's surface without destroying it I wonder? I don't have an engraving tool but I know someone with a dremel tool. I could try it. Thanks.

Darkmage

I don't see why you couldn't engrave a shell. I would be careful though as they are brittle. A dremel would work, too, I would imagine.

If you're just collecting these on the beach, get some more shells and use them as test runs. If they consistently break then engraving's a bad idea. If they're fine, or if only some break, then that's your technique.

I gave a friend of mine a bunch of oyster shells and she's going to carve them up. She hasn't yet, but if all else fails, she can grind them up and use them to create slightly alkaline soil in the garden. *shrug*

magpie9

Years ago I Made shell runes and stone runes. I used nail polish for the rune itself, and then put several coats of clear polish on the shell, to keep awet, fresh from the sea look. If I where doing it again I'd use a sharpie for the rune itself, and then the clear polish.

GotH

@magpie...

Clear nail polish would work and I like the idea of a wet looking shells. Along with a Silver or Gold Paint Pen. Simple yet effective and very much along my line of thinking..

Thank you.. :)

danieljuk

I once bought the cutest clear glass rune stones in a market. The stall owner had made them but he used silver / gold pens to do the symbols and they really started to fade away with use :( so make sure it's quite permanent to keep the image on them :thumbsup: love the seashell idea!

celticnoodle

What a great idea, GotH!

Years ago I Made shell runes and stone runes. I used nail polish for the rune itself, and then put several coats of clear polish on the shell, to keep awet, fresh from the sea look. If I where doing it again I'd use a sharpie for the rune itself, and then the clear polish.

I was going to recommend this myself.

I'm currently at the beach in FL and am picking up shells for a 'fairy house' I am hoping to put together for in our garden at our vacation home. I always collect shells and rocks where ever we visit, so I have them from all over the world. (however, I unfortunately don't recall where each of them have come from, sadly. :( ). Anyway, I may do this same thing (yeah, copying you, GotH) and pick up some more shells. I read through a few of the posts that were in Pulcha's post as supplied here by anie. I love the idea that they came from the water--and so will have great energy in them.

Do keep us updated on your idea here. I'd love to see your end product!

Daniel, your glass stones sound beautiful! Its a shame the marks are wearing off though. I wonder if you can repair that and then spray it with shellac or put nail polish on it to keep them from wearing away now?

GotH

Ooh that's good to know. Maybe polyurethane would protect the metallic paint. Thanks Daniel. :)

I'm getting excited about starting these! I need to practice drawing the symbols and I'm leaning toward copper.