Share Your Experience?

brenmck

My questions are:

How long did you live with the Tarot before you began reading for others?

Did you have a mentor/tutor?

Do querents often expect their reader to have a background in astrology?

Thanks in advance for your response.

brenmck

Alta

longer than most, more than 30 years

yes, and she made a huge difference in my confidence

no

tmgrl2

I had a mentor for work with color and handwriting readings...a long time ago...a psychic. Then I let much of that work go as I went into my professional life.

Then in 2004, I found Tarot...or it found me ....it was a powerfully moving tool in my life...I began reading online shortly after I got into it...then last fall, I began reading for people live...they would give me gift certificates or I would read for free...people I worked with or those they sent to me.

Then late fall, and early winter, I retired and began reading "professionally."

I don't need to read for money, but I do charge. I use a sliding scale. I read at home in my office by referrfal only. Tarot is a labor of love ...it is a spiritual event for me...reading.

So...my experience is limited, but my mentor, a member here at AT, has given me a great deal of encouragement and guidance...So...yes I have a mentor...

Plus I have several very close online friends here at AT that have been traveling along the journey of reading and I have learned much from them through our PM exchanges.

Of course, all of AT and the members are a constant source of guidance and learning.

Astrology. I haven't been doing this that long, but ...

No...no one asks me about astrology when I read...we talk about what Tarot is and what they think it is and what they expect from a reading...the process of building rapport is so crucial to reading for live sitters.

I do use some numerology...I use birthdays for the year cycle that my sitter is in at the time of the reading.

I know many people love the cards and the study and, then again, more people read online, but not everyone reads for live sitters nor reads for compensation.

Reading live is a whole different ballgame from doing readings online ...even when you read for someone you know.

Now I am having people that have been referred making appointments, so I know little or nothing about them when they come to me. That's just fine.

I guess ...it's like any passion. Writers MUST write. Singers MUST sing.

I MUST read the Tarot. When time passes and I haven't read, up pops someone asking for a reading and we're off.

Blessings to you, brenmck!! Savor the experience of Tarot.

terri

Emeraldgirl

About 4 years.

Sort of. I had my friends mum introduced me to tarot and give me my first deck but I moved away.

I haven't noticed but I only read for friends and family and a few parties so far.

Barbaras Ahajusts

25 yrs ago

<How long did you live with the Tarot before you began reading for others?

Do querents often expect their reader to have a background in astrology?>

25 yrs ago, my sister bought me my first deck. It only took a couple of days to start reading. I had a strange sensation from the palm of my right hand that told me what cards to chose. Now I am able to lay hands on peoples chest to feel what they are going through.

I have never had a mentor, just people I have deeply respected. But when I did an Internet Relationship spread for someone new in my life today, I found the mentor/teacher/guide/"etc" yelling out to me! Does this count?

No one has ever ask me about astrology during a reading. When I do field these questions, I let them know where to find out more information. I'm to lazy to con anyone! LOL.

Barbara

greycats

Our family was a quick read

How long did I live with the tarot before I began reading for others? About half a day. A member of the family (not myself) got a deck as a gift and we all read for each other (directly from the little white book, of course). I was about the last one to take a turn because I was busy with housework. Once I got the deck in my hands, though, I could hardly put it down.

I never had a mentor.

I've had people ask me about astrology, but not in connection with the tarot. Mostly they seem to think the two are different, unconnected divination systems. I explore astronomical astrology which, in fact, is difficult to apply to tarot, so I'm not tempted to tell them otherwise.

Psychebleu

edited

huredriel

How long did you live with the Tarot before you began reading for others? Probably a couple of days :D

Did you have a mentor/tutor? Certain members here at Aeclectic :)

Do querents often expect their reader to have a background in astrology? I don't think so ..... although I am trying to understand more about astrology as I think it helps

Not sure if this is in connection with *professional* readers or not ..... but I don't charge as yet.

Baroli

brenmck said:
My questions are:

Thanks in advance for your response.

brenmck

I started to read when I was in college, it was a big mistake because I didn't have a clue as to what I was doing, thus the readings came out poor (the cards teaching me a lesson). Then I walked away from them, but they were always in the back of my mind in a file called "For Use Later." LOL

I picked them up again recently after talking with someone who mentioned she read the cards. I resisted until I started dreaming about Tarot cards, they literally called to me. So perhaps one can say the cards have been my mentor, as well as Mary Greer's book on Tarot. I try to constantly learn about them and being older, I take the cards seriously.

No, I don't think sitters/querents necessarily want you to have a background in astrology, although having a little knowledge helps. I prefer using what little knowledge of numerology that I have besides looking at the pictures. It sometimes will help me understand the person I am reading for.

Baroli :)

brenmck

Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for very interesting sharing of experiences.
The people I've met, read for, and who have read for me on this Forum have all been a tremendous bonus to my study of Tarot. I never would have imagined the life-changing encounters I would have when I bought my first RWS.

~brenmck~