Should you buy your own decks?

willowfox

If you can get someone to buy you the deck that you want that is great, you select, they pay, super result.

Emily

gregory said:
Oh yes - that too. Best get both :D Comparison is important here..... })

And it is about to go out of print - so hurry..... :angel:

Just thought I would comment here :D

The Liber T Tarot of Stars Eternal actually got a reprieve from LoS - it's not going OOP now, well hopefully not for a good few years. :)

Sophie

willowfox said:
If you can get someone to buy you the deck that you want that is great, you select, they pay, super result.
:laugh:

wytchwood

Gifts are beautiful things, but the idea that you have to be bought your tarot deck is superstitious nonsense. Simply find a deck you like, purchase it and get going with it! Some folks here have hundreds of decks- they would indeed need generous friends!!

Zoe xx

Alta

Agree with that wytchwood! I have never even tried to get my family to buy a tarot deck for me, I can just imagine their eyes crossing! Not because they have anything against it, they just wouldn't know where to get them. And they are rather conservative. :) Not in a bad way, but tarot decks just are not on their internal lists of acceptable pressies.

I, on the other hand, have gifted a number of decks, and in one case particularly that worked out very well. Got a friend of mine through a very difficult period. She never did understand tarot, but she just shuffled and shuffled and drew cards and sort of free associated. I gather it worked very well. Osho Zen btw.

FlyingWitch

Yes, of course you should buy your own decks why wouldn't you? From what I hear it's some kind of "tarot myth" but I've never heard anything like that before

Lurker

Thanks all for the advice and for the laughs! I had bought my one and only deck many years ago and I had heard of this superstition only recently when I decided to get serious about learning. There are other decks that I would like to get but have hesitated not know if it was true or not. I shall now look into picking them up!

I appreciate it! :)

gregory

wytchwood said:
Gifts are beautiful things, but the idea that you have to be bought your tarot deck is superstitious nonsense. Simply find a deck you like, purchase it and get going with it! Some folks here have hundreds of decks- they would indeed need generous friends!!

Zoe xx
:|.................

Magnolia

My friend gave me her starting deck when she had moved on to a new deck and that's how I started to get interested. It didn't take me long to buy my own though. When I first started on this site I realised very quickly that some people love to collect decks. I am very much afraid that I'll going that way. There are some great threads and links for finding out about the loads of different decks out there and some are just beautiful. I'm still learning though so for the time being I'm working with the Universal RW. Looking forward though to trying out some other decks in the future.