Silicon Dawn LWB

Michellehihi

I just received this deck and although I am very excited with it (the extra cards and the 3D effect particularly), i am disappointed with the LWB. First, no suggested spreads. Second, the French part does not correspond at all to the English part. I am glad to be bilingual but those who only speak French, well, they will not get the meanings at all! I guess it is possible the same for the German and Italian part...

illyria

Hi, Michellehihi.

I don't remember an LWB (maybe it was forgettable?), but I do remember the companion book that came with the set. The book would be more detailed than the LWB anyway. I recall the writing being very tongue-in-cheek, though the switching of Wands and Pentacles still makes me scratch my head a little bit.

With regard to the translations, I would think these were outsourced to a third party! Great observation on how they don't match up, though. They should address that.

Michellehihi

Hi, Michellehihi.

I don't remember an LWB (maybe it was forgettable?), but I do remember the companion book that came with the set. The book would be more detailed than the LWB anyway. I recall the writing being very tongue-in-cheek, though the switching of Wands and Pentacles still makes me scratch my head a little bit.

With regard to the translations, I would think these were outsourced to a third party! Great observation on how they don't match up, though. They should address that.

Yes you are right, it's more a companion book than a LWB.
For the translation, it's worse than worse. I can give you an example: just go to the book and read the text for the 8 1/2 Maya card. Then read this ( I re-translated to English what the book says in French):
"Is it an illusion or not? Read the good stories and you will discover that maybe it is not, or it's just a little kinky joke."
???? What the hell does that mean? I would rather just read the English version....

illyria

Yes you are right, it's more a companion book than a LWB.
For the translation, it's worse than worse. I can give you an example: just go to the book and read the text for the 8 1/2 Maya card. Then read this ( I re-translated to English what the book says in French):
"Is it an illusion or not? Read the good stories and you will discover that maybe it is not, or it's just a little kinky joke."
???? What the hell does that mean? I would rather just read the English version....

Thank you for sharing! It seems pretty bad.

It looks like it has none of the context and cheekiness of the English descriptions. Perhaps a lot was lost in translation, as each language has its own wonderful peculiarities and nuances, or maybe the translation itself was rushed to meet the delivery date. In any case, that's too bad for French, Italian and German readers! Some won't be able to fully appreciate the unique system of the deck and the individual meanings of the cards.

Michellehihi

it can't be that the translator was bad because it is not only totally different, it is also WAY MUCH shorter. So I think Illirya your second option is what happened: they were caught with short delays to produce translation, or maybe worse, they were given a fixed, limited number of pages.